Page 69 of 92 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Banned

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Also, perhaps it is worth mentioning that I did not directly reply to you in the thread because I thought it best to post in the 'legit' thread where people like me are supposedly allowed to express opinions.
    I rest my case.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm1968 View Post
    I rest my case.
    For the last time, if I had responded to you directly I would have been referring to the other posts in the thread as well as yours.

You still seem unable to understand that my comment was a generalised expression of irony. Yours was ONE of the posts which praised VG. It was NOT THE ONLY ONE. I was NOT, repeat, NOT, specifically referring to you alone. I will not repeat my argument yet again when you have failed to understand it. However, I am sorry that you cannot accept my explanation.

Of course I should have let Soda give you the examples herself. I now apologise to her & Dreamer for perpetuating this.

Meanwhile, I was called a liar, outright.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-02-2018 at 09:23 PM.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I'm back, still with my tail between my legs, and hoping to turn this topic in a more productive and positive direction. We are talking about public acknowledgement of Glenn Frey and his impact on the world. One thing I will note is that I do believe that it was unfortunate from a publicity perspective that his passing came so very soon after David Bowie's - I absolutely think he was "robbed" of much publicity that would have come naturally in a down news cycle. I don't know if we've acknowledged this yet, probably somewhere on here 2 years ago.

There are many ways to publicly honor someone famous when he dies:

Authorized written biography
    Unauthorized written biography
    Authorized documentary
    Unauthorized documentary
    Physical monuments
    Private funeral/memorial service
    Public funeral/memorial service
    Paddle out
    Concert in honor of
    Album in honor of
    Musicians dedicating songs in their own shows
    Streets named after
    New stars or species of animals named after
    Charitable foundations established
    Chairs endowed
    Scholarships in the name of
    Broadway show
    What else?

A few of these have already happened for Glenn, and it is my genuine hope that ALL of these things happen for him, whether it is this year or 5 years from now. His life and impact on music certainly warrants all of them. I don't know why some have NOT happened - none of us do. But future acknowledgement and accolades, of which I'm sure there will be more, are certainly something for all of us Eagles fans look forward to (and create new threads for!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Personally while I feel very sad we lost Glenn -- I have accepted the fact that we have and am at peace. I would like to see Glenn honored in a public way that celebrates his life and the significant impact his music has had on millions of fans. It is about appreciation and yes, respect.

Lest we forget, Glenn Frey did not live to see himself and the band he helped start and lead to phenomenal success honored by the prestigious Kennedy Center. Thankfully he was aware they had been chosen - that is a blessing IMHO.
    It is truly sad that we lost Glenn when we did. It was sad that we lost him at all, but there was a lot he had wanted to do. The timing of it all is tragic

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    It is truly sad that we lost Glenn when we did. It was sad that we lost him at all, but there was a lot he had wanted to do. The timing of it all is tragic
    Well said.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Border Desperado

It is true that there was only one Glenn Frey. Talented musician, exceptional songwriter, best master of ceremonies ever, son, husband, father, brother, friend and someone who appreciated his fans. I agree that he was a public figure and he also was a private person, too. I guess when I think about it, I'm not sure you can separate the two (because he embodied all of those) and that could be why trying to find a way to honor the public side of his personality----which is all most of us know-----might not be as easy as it sounds for those who were close to the private Glenn. This is only my opinion.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WKMB55 View Post
    It is true that there was only one Glenn Frey. Talented musician, exceptional songwriter, best master of ceremonies ever, son, husband, father, brother, friend and someone who appreciated his fans. I agree that he was a public figure and he also was a private person, too. I guess when I think about it, I'm not sure you can separate the two (because he embodied all of those) and that could be why trying to find a way to honor the public side of his personality----which is all most of us know-----might not be as easy as it sounds for those who were close to the private Glenn. This is only my opinion.
    But once again, I don't understand this. I am not expecting any sort of tribute to him where his private life is discussed. I assume that was already done at the funeral. I haven't been talking about anything private at all. All I would like is to see his MUSIC honoured. That is what Concert For George was about - MUSIC. The entire point of it IS to separate public vs private. The familly wouldn't even have to attend it if they didn't wish to do so.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    For the last time, if I had responded to you directly I would have been referring to the other posts in the thread as well as yours.

You still seem unable to understand that my comment was a generalised expression of irony. Yours was ONE of the posts which praised VG. It was NOT THE ONLY ONE. I was NOT, repeat, NOT, specifically referring to you alone. I will not repeat my argument yet again when you have failed to understand it. However, I am sorry that you cannot accept my explanation.

Of course I should have let Soda give you the examples herself. I now apologise to her & Dreamer for perpetuating this.

Meanwhile, I was called a liar, outright.
    Jesus wept!

1. I do understand your explanation. I just don't subscribe to it.
    2. I never "outright" called you a "liar." More exaggeration.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm1968 View Post
    Jesus wept!

1. I do understand your explanation. I just don't subscribe to it.
    2. I never "outright" called you a "liar." More exaggeration.
    Somebody else called me a liar, OK? However, by your refusal to accept my explanation of my post, you are pretty much doing the same as the previous person did.

At this point the decent thing to do would have been to accept the explanation and drop the subject. I have been a member of this board for a very long time, and to my knowledge I have never had to proffer what I considered a simple, straightforward explanation for a post of mine and have it rejected so baldly in this way. What I said was self-evident and I stand by it. However:

I do not know what else I am supposed to say to you, so here you are:

I am sorry that I offended you by obliquely referring to you in one of my posts.

If you have anything further to say to me send me a PM.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-03-2018 at 02:36 AM.

Border Desperado

The only response I have for you Freypower is I hope you get what you want. Personally I have celebrated and acknowledged Glenn's life and accomplishments often for the past two years so I'm not sure that I would attend or view any type of public event should it happen. For all who feel a public acknowledgement is the best or proper way to honor Glenn's accomplishments, I hope you get everything you're envisioning it should be.