Page 84 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3474808182838485868788 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Out on the Border

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    This is from Don Felder's book:

"In November [of 1990] Irving called to tell me 'We're on' [regarding an Eagles reunion]. [...] I arrived at a little rehearsal hall in North Hollywood. [...] Glenn was supposed to fly in from Aspen any day with two or three songs he'd written, but he never showed. He supposedly sent a message through Irving instead saying that he had his songs already written and would meet us in the studio. We carried on, rehearsing a couple numbers Don was going to sing and one great ballad called 'People Can Change,' which Don wrote for Timothy to sing. We all believed it was aimed at Glenn. [...] Over the next day or two, we started recording tracks that Don would sing, convincing ourselves that Glenn could come in later and play his guitar or add whatever he felt they needed. He kept putting us off until Irving arrived, stone-faced. 'Glenn's not coming to the party,' he said, his dismay evident. 'He's decided not to do it. It's over.'

[...]

We looked at each other and shook our heads in disbelief. Someone said, 'Well, if he doesn't want to do it, let's just go ahead without him.'

[...]

Glenn threatened to go to the press and say we weren't the Eagles without him. He said he'd even file a lawsuit to stop us from going ahead. He issued a series of increasingly angry statements, enough for us to say, 'OK, maybe we really shouldn't do it.'"

I agree with Glenn.

Hmm. I think we have our answer as to whether he'd want the Eagles to continue without him...
    I personally don't know what Glenn Frey would want or what he said. However, nothing that Felder says can be considered the gospel truth.

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by moonrambler View Post
    If we knew for a fact that Glenn did not want them to continue touring under the band name without him, then I would be completely against it. I honestly don't think that's the case, though or I doubt that his wife and son would have gone along with it.
    I'm not so sure, moonrambler.

I think if the money was right, they might just change their minds!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I personally don't know what Glenn Frey would want or what he said. However, nothing that Felder says can be considered the gospel truth.
    Eh, I think in this particular case you can pretty much trust him on this, Arlee.

Regardless, even in HOTE they basically said Glenn put the woes on the band reforming without him when he didn't show up to the studio. I don't see any reason not to believe Don Felder in this case. And trust me, I don't believe everything he says either regarding his so-called mistreatment by Glenn and Don, and some of his portrayals of their behavior - but when it comes to the Eagles reforming I see no reason he'd lie about it.

If one looks hard enough there is plenty of evidence stating Glenn did not think an Eagles without him in it was ok. There is also more than enough things you can infer or pick up on that he didn't think the Eagles should move on without him.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Based on Glenn's past behavior and spoken words, there is plenty of evidence, some of which has just been posted, to suggest that he would not have approved. But, the most telling thing for me are the statements that the band members made after his death about the band being over, and then after they changed their minds, not once has anyone declaratively stated that he would have been okay with it. The closest that you can get to this are several statements by the band members that they "think" Glenn would approve. If Cindy Frey or anyone else were aware that he wished the band to continue, I believe that they would have just came out and said so.
    Amen to this, especially the bolded part.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I think it is natural to just assume that Glenn's family knew what his wishes were regarding this issue, but I have not yet seen anything to convince me that this is the case. As I said earlier, if they knew that Glenn would have approved, why all the proclamations that the band was over following his death? In all of his accounts about how the decision to continue was made, Don himself never says that he knew Glenn would have approved. Furthermore, to my knowledge, Cindy has only given one interview since Glenn's death and she also never mentioned it. In fact, she mentions several times that her reason for giving her blessings is because she feels it is comforting and healing for her family. Specifically, here is what she stated "I think it's a wonderful thing — not just for our family — but for the fans to be able to see the music continue on and have another generation, another iteration of what it means. It's incredible."

While, of course, I wish the best for the Frey family, with all due respect to Cindy, I fundamentally disagree that another iteration of the band is a good thing.

And I understand the reluctance to question Felder's account of what Soda quoted. However, as WF said, his account of this particular incident is consistent with several accounts by others, including Glenn himself. Therefore, I agree that there is no reason to doubt Felder about this.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    But we just don't have Felder's word on this. As I and others pointed out, it was talked about (and confirmed) in HOTE.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I'm not so sure, moonrambler.

I think if the money was right, they might just change their minds!
    Boy, I'd hate to think that they would change their minds to get more money even if they knew for a fact that Glenn would not approve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I think it is natural to just assume that Glenn's family knew what his wishes were regarding this issue, but I have not yet seen anything to convince me that this is the case. As I said earlier, if they knew that Glenn would have approved, why all the proclamations that the band was over following his death? In all of his accounts about how the decision to continue was made, Don himself never says that he knew Glenn would have approved. Furthermore, to my knowledge, Cindy has only given one interview since Glenn's death and she also never mentioned it. In fact, she mentions several times that her reason for giving her blessings is because she feels it is comforting and healing for her family.
    I would guess they don't know for sure and may never have talked about it. All I am saying, though, is I think they don't know for a fact that Glenn would have disapproved. In that case, they probably would have said so and not given their blessing to the band continuing.

Although Glenn obviously did not approve of an Eagles without him in 1990, that was nearly 30 years ago and the band had been split up for a long time at that point. He didn't want the Eagles to get back together without him. This is an entirely different situation.
    Last edited by moonrambler; 04-08-2019 at 02:09 PM. Reason: math

Quote Originally Posted by CAinOH View Post
    But we just don't have Felder's word on this. As I and others pointed out, it was talked about (and confirmed) in HOTE.
    Exactly, CA!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Quote Originally Posted by moonrambler View Post
    Although Glenn obviously did not approve of an Eagles without him in 1990, that was nearly 20 years ago and the band had been split up for a long time at that point. He didn't want the Eagles to get back together without him. This is an entirely different situation.
    I don't see it as being all that different. He knew an Eagles without him was an abomination and a fraud, and I do ​think that would carry over to the Eagles moving on without him after he died.

He clearly thought he had to be there for it to be the Eagles (which he does!) in 1990, so why would it change later on?
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Answering Soda’s question, if it was known that Glenn would be against them touring I would not support the lineup. I don’t think it changes the issue of the lineup being legitimate as that’s a separate issue but I would not see them personally (similar to how I treat Fleetwood Mac at this point). I’m not sure how Glenn would feel about it. I think having a tour like they are now he wouldn’t be too opposed (all guesswork on my part) but new music he’s be against. I think his son being apart of it all complicates it. Besides Bernie touring with the band, the band wasn’t really doing much and I don’t think saw that period as much more than just making money and playing music. But I’m really not sure how he would feel about it. The one hesitation I have about using Glenn’s statements regarding touring without him in the 90’s is that the band would be drastically changing the legacy of the band while as this current situation is just a continuation of a line of primarily money making tours. I think the two situations have some differences that could lead to Glenn having different views on the band touring without him