Page 85 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3575818283848586878889 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by moonrambler View Post
    Boy, I'd hate to think that they would change their minds to get more money even if they knew for a fact that Glenn would not approve.

I would guess they don't know for sure and may never have talked about it. All I am saying, though, is I think they don't know for a fact that Glenn would have disapproved. In that case, they probably would have said so and not given their blessing to the band continuing.

Although Glenn obviously did not approve of an Eagles without him in 1990, that was nearly 30 years ago and the band had been split up for a long time at that point. He didn't want the Eagles to get back together without him. This is an entirely different situation.
    MR - I think you make a reasonable argument and, I, for one, appreciate when we can have a civil discussion even though we disagree. However, it just goes to show that no matter how many times and ways we debate this topic, most fans are firmly set in their beliefs and no amount of talking is likely to sway them. I'll just add that after Glenn passed, every member's gut instinct was that the band was over and most fans felt the same way. For me, that tells me all I need to know. The example Soda cited may have been from the 90's, but Glenn had actually remained fairly consistent throughout the band's history about what he believed kept them legitimate. It's certainly possible he changed, but I can't be persuaded. In any event, as I said before, even if he did have a change of heart really wouldn't change the way I feel about it anyway. So, the big fan debate goes on and likely will for years to come.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    MR - I think you make a reasonable argument and, I, for one, appreciate when we can have a civil discussion even though we disagree.
    I don't think we disagree. I just became curious when I saw this comment:

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I will never change my opinion on the band continuing. There is nothing you or anyone else could show me or say that will change that.
    I realized there probably is only one person who might possibly be able to change opinions on this topic, and that would be Glenn. So I wondered if opinions might change if there was actual evidence Glenn wanted the band to continue. I understand that we don't have that.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

I don't think we disagree. I just became curious when I saw this comment:

I realized there probably is only one person who might possibly be able to change opinions on this topic, and that would be Glenn. So I wondered if opinions might change if there was actual evidence Glenn wanted the band to continue. I understand that we don't have that.
    Yeah - I guess for me it's a moot point because, like I said before, whether or not Glenn would have approved or not is really not much of a factor for me. Even if they had his blessings (which I don't believe they did), I would still not consider the Eagles without Glenn as a legitimate band.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Yeah - I guess for me it's a moot point because, like I said before, whether or not Glenn would have approved or not is really not much of a factor for me. Even if they had his blessings (which I don't believe they did), I would still not consider the Eagles without Glenn as a legitimate band.
    I definitely feel the same way Dreamer, even if Glenn supported the Eagles moving on without him I personally wouldn't go see a show, but wouldn't have a problem if others did or with the band if they continue. I wouldn't be as disgusted with some of the band if Glenn did want it. I guess that's the difference for me. I wouldn't go regardless, but I wouldn't be nearly as upset about it if it was proven Glenn did want this.

But me personally - No Glenn No Eagles.

I don't think Glenn would support it and I think we've gained enough insight that it's not just a wild guess, either.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Out on the Border

[......]

Although Glenn obviously did not approve of an Eagles without him in 1990, that was nearly 30 years ago and the band had been split up for a long time at that point. He didn't want the Eagles to get back together without him. This is an entirely different situation.
    I agree, 1990 is a completely different situation. Of course he would be against the band touring. The band was his baby, he was alive, and he had entertained the idea of starting the band up again.

Anything Felder says means nothing. However, it was said in HOTE that Glenn put the brakes on.

I've read a few times that Glenn stopped the reunion because of his illness. Of course he would want the band to wait for him.

As for now, it's hard to believe his band mates, his wife, and his children would be doing this if they ever thought Glenn would be against it.

Has it occurred to anyone that if Glenn were truly against this, he would have made legal arrangements that would stop it?

Obviously he made plans for the finances and ownership of the band after his demise. He put almost all of his estate in a trust. He was prepared.

If he hadn't made legal and financial plans in the event of his death, I doubt that the joining of Gill, and especially Deacon, would have gone so smoothly.

Very early on and in the years since, Henley and Frey learned a lot about money and lawyers and band business and finances. By 2015 I'm sure they had made the plans they wanted for the band.

Well, we can't know, and we've all been able to find reasons to either believe Glenn's comments still hold true or dismiss what he said, depending on whether or not his comments aligned with our views.

I guess we're at an impasse. Big surprise there.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Well, we can't know, and we've all been able to find reasons to either believe Glenn's comments still hold true or dismiss what he said, depending on whether or not his comments aligned with our views.

I guess we're at an impasse. Big surprise there.

I think that is clear and the same thing could be said at any point along the way for the last year and a half.

There has been an ongoing debate here about what Glenn would have wanted.

I haven't seen any earlier of mention what I just brought up, that Glenn most likely would've made legal provisions regarding whether or not the band would or could continue.

I could have easily missed if this was talked about or not.

But I am curious about people's thoughts and information on it, if they have any.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Arlee, if that were true then none of the members would have acted they way they did when Glenn died. They all acted shocked and even said they couldn't go on, at first. He was in the hospital for weeks. I don't think he had any time to prepare something like that when he got so sick they put him in a coma.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Arlee, if that were true then none of the members would have acted they way they did when Glenn died. They all acted shocked and even said they couldn't go on, at first. He was in the hospital for weeks. I don't think he had any time to prepare something like that when he got so sick they put him in a coma.

No, I didn't say that they did it at the last minute. I suppose that is possible, but not likely.

I said that it's almost certain there were legal directions in place regarding what would and wouldn't happen to the Eagles entity after he was gone. And probably very detailed with every "I" dotted and "T" crossed. Probably in Henley's will, too.

As I said, Henley and Frey learned hard lessons and gained immense wisdom over the years dealing with lawyers, their music, the Eagles, other band members, etc.

It's his business, his baby. Of course it would be in his will.

There didn't seem to be a huge legal ordeal for the family and band to come together and to keep going. I think that says a lot.

(Steely Dan comes to mind. That was sad.)

PS I'm not trying to convince anyone about anything. I just hadn't thought of the legalities & the will before. I haven't seen it mentioned but I may have missed it.

I have never heard of any rock star ever putting something like that in his/her will. Have you?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten