Page 76 of 92 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Hi Arlee and welcome to The Border. Let me start by saying that one thing many of us here share is that we are emotionally attached to this band. For me, personally, they have been my favorite band since the first time I heard Take It Easy on the radio back in the summer of '72. And this is why most all fans feel strongly about the band continuing to perform as the Eagles, no matter what side of the issue you are on. The issue was bound to be controversial from the moment the Classic East and West shows were announced, particularly in light of the remarks that every band member and Irving had made insisting that they would not continue following Glenn’s untimely passing. So it very simply boils down to fans who are elated that the band goes on and fans who feel extreme disappointment and betrayal.

As fans, we are consumers of the band’s product, and as band members, they are public figures who are subject to public scrutiny. So, on this public fan forum, we all have a right to express how we feel about this. As we have said repeatedly, we try to be tolerant of all opinions, as long as they are respectful and substantiated. That, of course, doesn’t mean your opinion may not be challenged by other members, and that’s okay too as long as everyone remains polite and tolerant. However, where some cross the line is when they take the focus away from the band’s actions and, instead, attack other members of this board with accusations, insults, and name-calling. No one here has ever expected all of our members to agree about everything, but we do ask that everyone respectfully disagree.

I could address specific comments in your posts, but it would just be repeating everything that has been said many times already, so I won’t bother. If you are interested in all the arguments for and against, it is here for your viewing pleasure. In any event, as others have said, there is also lots of positive, interesting information and discussion on the board, so, hopefully, you can enjoy yourself here.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Hi Arlee and welcome to The Border. Let me start by saying that one thing many of us here share is that we are emotionally attached to this band. For me, personally, they have been my favorite band since the first time I heard Take It Easy on the radio back in the summer of '72. And this is why most all fans feel strongly about the band continuing to perform as the Eagles, no matter what side of the issue you are on. The issue was bound to be controversial from the moment the Classic East and West shows were announced, particularly in light of the remarks that every band member and Irving had made insisting that they would not continue following Glenn’s untimely passing. So it very simply boils down to fans who are elated that the band goes on and fans who feel extreme disappointment and betrayal.

As fans, we are consumers of the band’s product, and as band members, they are public figures who are subject to public scrutiny. So, on this public fan forum, we all have a right to express how we feel about this. As we have said repeatedly, we try to be tolerant of all opinions, as long as they are respectful and substantiated. That, of course, doesn’t mean your opinion may not be challenged by other members, and that’s okay too as long as everyone remains polite and tolerant. However, where some cross the line is when they take the focus away from the band’s actions and, instead, attack other members of this board with accusations, insults, and name-calling. No one here has ever expected all of our members to agree about everything, but we do ask that everyone respectfully disagree.

I could address specific comments in your posts, but it would just be repeating everything that has been said many times already, so I won’t bother. If you are interested in all the arguments for and against, it is here for your viewing pleasure. In any event, as others have said, there is also lots of positive, interesting information and discussion on the board, so, hopefully, you can enjoy yourself here.
    Thank you. As I've stated, I understand and can respect people being against the current line-up but what I can't understand or respect is the cruel and cold comments about the family, the band, and the new line-up fans. Also the things stated that were flat-out untrue, and the fact that all of that is tolerated here.

Those are the things that seem inappropriate and wrong.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Thank you. As I've stated, I understand and can respect people being against the current line-up but what I can't understand or respect is the cruel and cold comments about the family, the band, and the new line-up fans. Also the things stated that were flat-out untrue, and the fact that all of that is tolerated here.

Those are the things that seem inappropriate and wrong.
    Arlee - it seems like this is a matter of perception. I personally don't perceive comments made about the family or the band as cruel and cold, especially when taken in context of all the other discussion in the threads. As far as things stated that were flat-out untrue, if you would like to cite specific comments, I would certainly be glad to give you my take on them and I'm sure other members can as well. We pride ourselves on trying to make sure that information posted on the board is accurate and substantiated, so if you have facts to the contrary, we appreciate you bringing them to our attention.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Arlee - it seems like this is a matter of perception. I personally don't perceive comments made about the family or the band as cruel and cold, especially when taken in context of all the other discussion in the threads. As far as things stated that were flat-out untrue, if you would like to cite specific comments, I would certainly be glad to give you my take on them and I'm sure other members can as well. We pride ourselves on trying to make sure that information posted on the board is accurate and substantiated, so if you have facts to the contrary, we appreciate you bringing them to our attention.
    Thank you. I addressed it all in my original post, in detail (it was long, lol.) First, there was talk about how the members weren't really friends, that it was just a business arrangement. I think the point was to show something like, "see, they weren't really his friends so of course they would betray him."

Second, that Deacon had no musical experience, background, or talent, and that he didn't really have a career before this. Third, that Gill didn't have much of a career and so that is why he joined.

The out-of-line statements about the family, remaining Eagles, and fans included talk of how they're all betraying him and his memory, how terrible they are for doing this, and blame Cindy for allowing it. That they are all doing this for the money only. There was more negative talk leveled at his family but I had to stop reading it. It was said that anyone who goes to the concerts now are basically saying that Glenn didn't matter to them and his contributions meant nothing.

That was personally offensive to me, but I was most bothered about the things said about Deacon and his mother.

These things were personal attacks. There was more but I had to stop reading. These aren't exact quotes but it's the gist. I only read it once and don't want to look at it again.

I have no problem with the fact that some people don't like the new line-up. What's wrong is the personal attacks on the band, the family, and the fans.

(This part is more for the debate about the new line-up: many people don't realize that Glenn is honored at the concerts. There is happiness and tears. Henley literally states that "someone is missing" and that they're "not pretending it's the same band." He states that this is a celebration of the legacy that Glenn left us.)

Speaking only for myself:

It is is not a question of honoring Glenn Frey or whether the brand is or isn't.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Arlee-

I'm sorry you found some of the comments "untrue" or "cruel". Undoubtedly some of my own are in that group, and I'm ok with that because that's not the way I see them and others have agreed.

Simply put, my perspective is that once Deacon and Cindy decided to move forward, and Don, Tim, and Joe decided to move forward - they opened themselves up to it. I will not apologize for anything I've said about them or this abomination of a "band" now. I don't see them as personal attacks. I've never said Deacon wasn't talented. I just said that he should be doing something else than be a caricature of his dad. As far as Vince Gill, I do not like him one bit and that's just my take on it. While some may see him as the "nice guy", I see him as being too happy to jump into his old friend's role, despite his verbiage about it being bittersweet. His comments when he joined like "I always thought I'd make a good Eagle", made my stomach turn. I don't think he is talented as you might think. That's all. I think he needed the Eagles more than the Eagles needed him, regardless of his prior moderate success in the country genre. Anyone would BEG to have the Eagles on their resume, even some big name artists, and yes - it will help their career a lot.

My perspective, as I've shared in the "for those saying" thread, is that Glenn was the most important member of the band, and while I might not go if Don was gone but Glenn was there - there is simply no way to have the band called Eagles without Glenn Lewis Frey. He was everything to that band. I don't mean to offend Don fans, but I just feel he was the one with the vision and the one who contributed the most. TEHO. But yes, that does affect my stance on this, I won't lie. Still, you can't take him away and try to get me to go see the other 3 with Deacon and Vince. I just won't. The fact they had to bring 2 people in to TRY and barely scrape by in replacing Glenn's role says it all. Glenn was larger than life. I know you say they are still tributing him, but sure I don't see it. Or see enough of it. And I feel like yes, this is a shameless $ grab.

I think the best thing for me to say here is that we need to move on and realize we won't likely make each other happy here, and won't come to a resolution as I have no intention of backing down on my comments of the new group, and you are visibly upset by that. I think my only advice would be to enjoy the other threads where you can find a wealth of information about all eras of the band, look at pictures, participate in new show threads for the 3.0 group, and enjoy what the Border has to offer besides debate about the continuance of the Eagles, since it seems to bother you. Or as I suggested, find another forum.

-WF88
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post

It is is not a question of honoring Glenn Frey or whether the brand is or isn't.
    Yes this. It's the fact they are going on without him, seemingly business as usual.

But it would be nice to see them show a bit more honoring of him...
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Out on the Border

Originally Posted by Dawn View Post

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Yes this. It's the fact they are going on without him, seemingly business as usual.

But it would be nice to see them show a bit more honoring of him...
    I can appreciate what you're both saying here. I just wanted to add details of the show, just as a way of letting people know they do honor him. Not arguing, just informing.
    🙂🙂🙂

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Arlee-

I'm sorry you found some of the comments "untrue" or "cruel". Undoubtedly some of my own are in that group, and I'm ok with that because that's not the way I see them and others have agreed.

Simply put, my perspective is that once Deacon and Cindy decided to move forward, and Don, Tim, and Joe decided to move forward - they opened themselves up to it. I will not apologize for anything I've said about them or this abomination of a "band" now. I don't see them as personal attacks. I've never said Deacon wasn't talented. I just said that he should be doing something else than be a caricature of his dad. As far as Vince Gill, I do not like him one bit and that's just my take on it. While some may see him as the "nice guy", I see him as being too happy to jump into his old friend's role, despite his verbiage about it being bittersweet. His comments when he joined like "I always thought I'd make a good Eagle", made my stomach turn. I don't think he is talented as you might think. That's all. I think he needed the Eagles more than the Eagles needed him, regardless of his prior moderate success in the country genre. Anyone would BEG to have the Eagles on their resume, even some big name artists, and yes - it will help their career a lot.

My perspective, as I've shared in the "for those saying" thread, is that Glenn was the most important member of the band, and while I might not go if Don was gone but Glenn was there - there is simply no way to have the band called Eagles without Glenn Lewis Frey. He was everything to that band. I don't mean to offend Don fans, but I just feel he was the one with the vision and the one who contributed the most. TEHO. But yes, that does affect my stance on this, I won't lie. Still, you can't take him away and try to get me to go see the other 3 with Deacon and Vince. I just won't. The fact they had to bring 2 people in to TRY and barely scrape by in replacing Glenn's role says it all. Glenn was larger than life. I know you say they are still tributing him, but sure I don't see it. Or see enough of it. And I feel like yes, this is a shameless $ grab.

I think the best thing for me to say here is that we need to move on and realize we won't likely make each other happy here, and won't come to a resolution as I have no intention of backing down on my comments of the new group, and you are visibly upset by that. I think my only advice would be to enjoy the other threads where you can find a wealth of information about all eras of the band, look at pictures, participate in new show threads for the 3.0 group, and enjoy what the Border has to offer besides debate about the continuance of the Eagles, since it seems to bother you. Or as I suggested, find another forum.

-WF88
    I've read most of what you said here in other posts by you and others. People are defending themselves to me regarding things I've never said or argued about.

Again, I understand why some would be resistant to the new band. I agree it was Glenn's band. I never said it was you who said the offensive statements. I don't know if it was you or not

It's true that some things said were false. I've stated what they were.

I can think some comments were offensive just as much as folks are allowed to think otherwise.

It's offensive to me when I'm told I'm a fan who didn't think Glenn was important to the band.

Once again I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH PEOPLE DISLIKING THE NEW LINE-UP. I RESPECT THAT AND I CAN UNDERSTAND IT.

I'm not yelling there and it's not just directed at you.

Just in case anyone missed it again-

-I have no issue with people disliking the new line-up. I can understand their view. I can respect it. I agree it was Glenn's band.

-I can take offense to the statements that weren't true or that I felt were inappropriate just as much as people are allowed to dislike the new line-up. People share differing opinions. I understand that. I'm not arguing. I'm stating my opinion. Not trying to convince. Not arguing.

-People keep making points that I've never argued against or even said anything about.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    -People keep making points that I've never argued against or even said anything about.
    I feel like you're doing the same to a degree. I went back and looked through that thread, and I didn't find anything that said Deacon had no talent, or that the Freys were terrible people. But perhaps I missed them. Please link to them. I'd like to know exactly who you are calling cruel, and who you are calling a liar.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten