Page 79 of 92 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Carolyn, the only thing I see that is "disrespectful" here is your latest post towards Soda and Pippinwhite. I was upset by your initial posts, but I feel like this latest post is a step too far.

I was very disappointed to read some of what you read. I think it was condescending and quite rude and I also think you completely missed their points they were trying to make to you.

Soda knows how to run this site, she's been doing it for years. I think the way the board is set up now is perfectly fine. No one needs to be telling her how to run it unless they want to help foot the bill to run said site. The Off-Topic section is fine the way it is, most people don't treat it as their own self-important personal blog where they go on ad nauseam about their own life and how great it is and namedrop celebrities that they've met. There is a "what's happening in your life" thread but its used for occasional updates about how we are doing and it's usually used to wish each other well and also to have some two-sided discussion about our lives without going off the rails about it at the same time. It's more of a "how are you doing lately?" thing. Again it's not treated like a blog page or a Facebook feed. IMO it shouldn't be.

I'm not even going to comment on the photo thing. Other than to say "c'mon!" with the "certain individual" posted a photo challenge comment. Why so passive-aggressive? You know it was Soda, just say her name. Have the intestinal fortitude to say it if you are going to call her out for it!

Pippinwhite also didn't deserve the condescending "I feel sorry for you" bit. Maybe she isn't afraid of saying how she feels, but simply chooses not to. Not because she's afraid of backlash but because she doesn't want to discuss it. Regardless, it wasn't a very nice thing to say. I think Pippinwhite made some good points there, and it seems you glossed right over them to just focus on the fact she isn't sharing her thoughts.

Again, you yourself say you aren't so vested in the Eagles. So again, I must ask - why are you here? If it's just a place to vent or to discuss your life, there are free blog platforms out there or chat rooms, and of course I'm sure you've heard of Facebook, Twitter, etc. Because to me, to come to a site dedicated to fans of a rock n' roll band just to have a place to talk about yourself doesn't really make sense. It's just not the place for it. I'm wanting to make it clear, it's totally fine to want to talk about your life at length and give updates, but a message board for Eagles fans and fans of the individual members is not the right venue for said postings. I also wonder that if you aren't vested in the Eagles, why you care so deeply about what people say about them continuing on without their leader, Glenn Frey? It seems like you have an interest!

I told myself I wouldn't respond to this again but I really felt like standing up for Soda and Pippinwhite after what I felt was a poorly-veiled insult-ridden post. IMO, it was a passive-aggressive personal attack.

I think it's time to take a step back Carolyn and maybe find another platform to post on. I truly think it would serve you better and you'd probably have more of an audience to engage with. Honestly, I mean that.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Question Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
    I just had to laugh when I read the responses by Soda & Pippin. I honestly don't mean that in a condescending way, as for whatever reason the Eagles or certain a certain members of the group seem to have a very deep meaning in your lives.

Listen, if whatever it is about the band that makes someone spend their money and time building a fan site and moderate it on a consistent basis for years brings them joy in some way -- I'm not knocking it. There are certainly plenty of things I do, such as cooking and baking, that some people think is a waste of time, as well.

I have just never been enamored by a celebrity to the point that I would invest so much of my time in energy into them -- as I guess I am a little more selfish, as I'd rather spend that time and money on investing it in myself.
    So you find it humorous for persons to invest themselves in a musical act or artist. You yourself aren't a big fan of the Eagles, only like a few songs, don't own a complete album. You imply that running such a fan site would be a waste of time. So I guess I'm wondering why you are spending your time here. Kinda like myself going on a site for sports fans, in effect ridiculing their dedication, and yet taking my time to make long posts there. Since I am only mildly interested in sports, I would not "invest my time and energy" there.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    So you find it humorous for persons to invest themselves in a musical act or artist. You yourself aren't a big fan of the Eagles, only like a few songs, don't own a complete album. You imply that running such a fan site would be a waste of time. So I guess I'm wondering why you are spending your time here. Kinda like myself going on a site for sports fans, in effect ridiculing their dedication, and yet taking my time to make long posts there. Since I am only mildly interested in sports, I would not "invest my time and energy" there.
    Amen.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

There is a third way to handle these long posts (in addition to reading or not reading), which is what I do. I read the bits that interest me and skip the bits that don't.

I guess there isn't a lot to learn from people with different views after all since everything seems to get an "I feel bad for you", "I had to laugh" etc response. People who reply to these posts are wrong in every sentence. People who don't like long, rambling posts seem to be wrong. Our attitudes about celebrities are wrong. And yes, I know, my interpretations of her posts are wrong as well, which makes this part of my post pointless, does it. C'est la vie.

Stuck on the Border

Carolyn - Who are you kidding when you say you did not mean to be condescending and rude to Soda and Pippin. That is exactly what your post was. It was also mean and nasty in your condescending way of mocking them.
    Soda has run this site for years and done a wonderful job. If you don't like it than don't come to the site.
    I was not going to say this but your nasty and condescending post made me change my mind. Why do you have to go on and on bragging about your wonderful, successful, fantastic life in every post. WHO CARES ! I guess you were never taught it was rude to brag about yourself. There are MANY successful people here who do not brag about their life the way you do. You do not know Soda or Pippin and your rude, condescending comments were uncalled for. Like Fryfollower said, if you don't care that much about the band, than why waste your time here. I am sure you could find more to do in that wonderful, successful, fantastic life you brag about in every post.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    There is a third way to handle these long posts (in addition to reading or not reading), which is what I do. I read the bits that interest me and skip the bits that don't.

I guess there isn't a lot to learn from people with different views after all since everything seems to get an "I feel bad for you", "I had to laugh" etc response. People who reply to these posts are wrong in every sentence. People who don't like long, rambling posts seem to be wrong. Our attitudes about celebrities are wrong. And yes, I know, my interpretations of her posts are wrong as well, which makes this part of my post pointless, does it. C'est la vie.
    Well said, chaim!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Carolyn - Who are you kidding when you say you did not mean to be condescending and rude to Soda and Pippin. That is exactly what your post was. It was also mean and nasty in your condescending way of mocking them.
    Soda has run this site for years and done a wonderful job. If you don't like it than don't come to the site.
    I was not going to say this but your nasty and condescending post made me change my mind. Why do you have to go on and on bragging about your wonderful, successful, fantastic life in every post. WHO CARES ! I guess you were never taught it was rude to brag about yourself. There are MANY successful people here who do not brag about their life the way you do. You do not know Soda or Pippin and your rude, condescending comments were uncalled for. Like Fryfollower said, if you don't care that much about the band, than why waste your time here. I am sure you could find more to do in that wonderful, successful, fantastic life you brag about in every post.
    This.

I couldn't agree more.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Well said, chaim!
    I don't enjoy speaking/writing like that, but now and then I just...can't be quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I don't enjoy speaking/writing like that, but now and then I just...can't be quiet.
    Same. I was set to not respond to her again, but that last post just really bothered me to the point I felt I was going to say what I've been thinking all along. It felt good to clear the air.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Out on the Border

Default Re: I like this site, but......

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post

[......]

But what I find so disrespectful to the Frey family is when people post messages professing on one hand how much Glenn Frey and his music meant to them -- but on the other hand, they express such vile toward the decision to carry-on touring without him.

Don't they stop to think for one second that there is no one who would better know what Mr. Frey's wishes would be, than his own wife and family -- and trust that his own family loved their husband and father so much that they would never give their stamp of approval to the band carrying on without him, if they didnt believe that is what he would have wanted.

And do they realize that, as a parent who I trust loved his children very much, there is likley no one in the world Mr. Frey would want to see help to fill the void on that stage each night, other than his own son.

[.....]

To question their decision is the equivalent of saying you feel you knew Mr. Frey's wishes moreso than his own family.

Amen and THANK YOU! I had sick feeling when I read some of the things that were said on this so-called Eagles fan site. It's one thing to be against them touring without Mr. Frey. It's a whole other thing to say disrespectful and hurtful things about his closest loved ones.

It's ironic that you, as a semi-sort-of fan, have more consideration and respect for those loved ones than some people here have shown.

Thank you for your comments and story.

If anyone wants to come back at me and argue, it would be a waste of time. I've had enough negativity, and I've already said my piece. We all have our opinions and it's likely they won't change, no matter how much back and forth there is.
    Last edited by Arlee; 04-02-2019 at 01:47 PM.