Page 88 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3878848586878889909192 LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Out on the Border

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Did some poking online and found info about the legal aspects that I brought up.

Background:

Me
    Has it occurred to anyone [Glenn] would have made legal arrangements ...

Sodascouts
    I have never heard of any rock star ever putting something like that in his/her will. Have you?

WalshFan88
    Definitely not.

Me
    ...I would think there would be contracts and agreements and maybe negotiations involved…

Sodascouts
    …. I don't think anyone has EVER tried to do that before (that I'm aware of).
    So saying OF COURSE he would have, when NO ONE ever has, is quite a leap.

Me
    ... seems unlikely he wouldn't put anything...in his will…future earnings ...his wishes for his...stake...

WalshFan88
    ….I think there is some grasping for straws at this point in trying to justify them moving on without Glenn.

Me
    ...Suggesting that he may have put something in his will regarding the Eagles is fair, legitimate …

---------------------------------------------------

It seems that what I suggested is common. (I bolded the relative parts.)

From
    https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/ba...pyrights-41346 :

“In order to avoid disputes later, a band needs a band agreement which states how the band will divide their profits and which provides how decisions shall be made, how departing band members will be paid and the rights to use the band name after a break up or a band member departs…..”

From
    https://bandzoogle.com/blog/creating...u-need-to-know :

“Being a musician is a business. If you’re in band, one of the most important elements…is having an effective band agreement.

Without agreement among the members of your band, whether verbal, written on a napkin….texted, or written by an entertainment lawyer..., some key issues will need to be negotiated .... Or you may need to rely on the law, which may not provide appropriate solutions for your situation.

The Band Name
    ….Does anyone have more control regarding the band name? May the band only use the name if everyone is still performing together? May any majority of the members performing together use the name? Does the name follow Person A, whether she’s in the band or not? How about only Person A and Person B may use the band, regardless of whether anyone else is still in the band?”

New and Former Members
    Who has the authority to add a member?

How much money, if any, is owed to a former band member? ...what’s the formula regarding royalties and any other income from recordings made while the former member was a member?

What happens if a band member gets sick, disabled or dies?.. ….

---------------------------------------------------

https://vlaa.org/band-partnership-agreements/

Google “Internal Band Agreement 101”

Out on the Border

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I asked that question thinking that you were referring to my "last word" thing. My mistake. Incidentally, you didn't copy+paste the part from your comment Soda was actually referring to with her "...OF COURSE..." post. Now it looks like she was reacting to nothing. I don't wish to take sides in this wider "battle" at this point, because it seems like everyone feels quite genuinely what they're saying, just wanted to point that one out.
    No wider battle here. You asked, I answered. Your question didn't say it was specific to the "last word" issue. But I see you said "my mistake," so that's good. I had thought that issue was settled anyway, since I apologized.

Sodascouts was referring to my suggestion that was the whole point of the discussion, that I thought there would be some legalities involved regarding the band after Glenn departed, and that it would have been decided ahead of time. It seems clear that was the discussion and that is what sodascouts was referring to. If it was something else, I don't know what it could be.
    Last edited by Arlee; 04-20-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I agree. I also felt like she cherrypicked some of her own statements. I didn’t see her copy and paste her “that’s a great spin” type of comments she’s made.
    May I remind you that I was answering Chaim's question of why I felt "pulled in," so I "cherry-picked" only what pertained to the question. So, you misrepresentated the issue. I hope a mod reminds you of board rules.

Here is what was said::

Chaim:
    And Arlee, in your edited addition you say you "got pulled in". Who exactly pulled you in and how? I certainly didn't.

Me:
    Thank you for asking. Against my better judgement, I'm going to answer your question. You asked. Also, I acknowledge that I allowed myself to be pulled in. For the sake of space and time I kept out extra words & repeats. But I kept in the main point of every post.
    ----------------

And to add to you,
    Sodascouts was referring to my suggestion that was the whole point of the discussion, that I thought there would be some legalities involved regarding the band after Glenn departed, and that it would have been decided ahead of time. It seems clear that was the discussion and that is what she was referring to. If it was something else, I don't know what it could be.

Out on the Border

Dreamer,

Ok I've replied to you by PM but I have a request. I think it's fair of me to say that you stated some pretty bad things about me and without example, and they're not true. I ask that this please stop. Thank you. It's happened a lot to me on this board and no examples were offered then, either. And no one was called on the carpet. If there's a basis for any of these false accusations, why won't anyone show me where?

Below is an example of what I think has been severe and undeserved. I haven't been given any examples so I have no idea what this is referring to. That's not really fair to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post

What we do not tolerate is trolling and personal attacks and disrespectful insults towards our members. When you continue to engage in this type of behavior after being warned, there are consequences here.

Another request: there are many things said that I felt were inappropriate to me by WalshFan88. I ask that you tell them to stop. I've sent you details but I already listed a few.

I too wish the thread hadn't got hijacked but that's not on me.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Arlee; 04-20-2019 at 10:49 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    No wider battle here. You asked, I answered. Your question didn't say it was specific to the "last word" issue. But I see you said "my mistake," so that's good. I had thought that issue was settled anyway, since I apologized.

Sodascouts was referring to my suggestion that was the whole point of the discussion, that I thought there would be some legalities involved regarding the band after Glenn departed, and that it would have been decided ahead of time. It seems clear that was the discussion and that is what sodascouts was referring to. If it was something else, I don't know what it could be.
    Yes, a wider battle here. I was referring to a brief interaction (three or four posts) between me, Austin and you. (Granted, it was a smaller battle inside a wider battle, haha.) You copy+pasted posts from a "battle" that has been going on for months. I suggested that Austin stop arguing with Carolyn, but I won't take sides in this "fight" between you and some people here.

Stuck on the Border

Actually now that I re-read your earlier post regarding the "last word" issue, you said:

"my last post about "the last word" was unnecessary, and I apologize for it. I got pulled in and although I stand by everything else I've said, I shouldn't have made that comment. Again, sorry."

My initial post to Austin had nothing to do with you. You posted a comment about it. Then I explained to you what I had actually meant. You said "nice spin". Later you apologized, but added that you got pulled in. That certainly looks like I pulled you in when I was explaining myself. Why not just say that you were wrong. Why this thing about being pulled in?

And are you also saying that the "truth is the truth. The truth doesn't always come out here" (based on misunderstanding what I had said) in your initial comment to me was written with the best of intentions without a slightest hint of being combative or pulling other people in? The tone in my explanation to you wouldn't have been as harsh as it was without those comments. But I got pulled in.
    Last edited by chaim; 04-21-2019 at 03:55 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Once again I find myself being uncomfortable with things I've written. I slipped into the sarcastic mode again in the post above. Also, I found myself basically arguing over nothing. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm dead wrong. Peace to everyone. It's a beautiful, sunny day here.✌

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Once again I find myself being uncomfortable with things I've written. I slipped into the sarcastic mode again in the post above. Also, I found myself basically arguing over nothing. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm dead wrong. Peace to everyone. It's a beautiful, sunny day here.✌
    You're fine, chaim.

Peace to you as well!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    May I remind you that I was answering Chaim's question of why I felt "pulled in," so I "cherry-picked" only what pertained to the question. So, you misrepresentated the issue. I hope a mod reminds you of board rules.
    Actually, I feel my quotes were misrepresented. In particular, the way you present this:

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee

Me
    Has it occurred to anyone [Glenn] would have made legal arrangements ...

Sodascouts
    I have never heard of any rock star ever putting something like that in his/her will. Have you?

WalshFan88
    Definitely not.

Me
    ...I would think there would be contracts and agreements and maybe negotiations involved…

Sodascouts
    …. I don't think anyone has EVER tried to do that before (that I'm aware of).
    So saying OF COURSE he would have, when NO ONE ever has, is quite a leap.

Me
    ... seems unlikely he wouldn't put anything...in his will…future earnings ...his wishes for his...stake...

WalshFan88
    ….I think there is some grasping for straws at this point in trying to justify them moving on without Glenn.

Me
    ...Suggesting that he may have put something in his will regarding the Eagles is fair, legitimate …
    Your little edits... leaving out some of the things you said as if I were questioning the notion that Glenn would make any kind of legal arrangement pertaining to anything related to the Eagles, misrepresents my intention.

My replies were specifically addressed to your implication that if Glenn wanted to stop the Eagles from continuing without him, he would surely have made provisions to force the matter legally in his will.

That, after all, was the purpose of this line of speculation in the first place... to suggest that the absence of such a provision indicates that he must have been fine with the Eagles continuing without him.

I find fault with that line of speculation, because a provision forbidding a band's continuance is not something that a person would be likely to put in a will, as you suggested. Hence my reply:

"I have never heard of any rock star ever putting something like that [ forbidding his band to continue without him ] in his/her will. Have you?"

I added the bracketed information this time to ensure there's no more confusion.

That's also what was the basis for my other reply, which I here present unedited (the bolded part is what Arlee left out):

"No, I don't think it's been suggested that he would try to control what happened with his band via his will before... because I don't think anyone has EVER tried to do that before (that I'm aware of).

So saying OF COURSE he would have, when NO ONE ever has, is quite a leap."

That's right, folks. Arlee actually deleted the part of the sentence that explained what I was referring to so she could make it look like I was referring to her comment about contracts and negotiations. I leave you to decide how ethical that was.

Anyway, I have yet to see an example of someone forbidding their band to continue in a will, or alternatively requiring it to continue. Some powers end with one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim
    I won't take sides in this "fight" between you and some people here.
    Yeah, no need, chaim. At this point, there's not much to it. Arlee is pulling in quotes from so long ago to create her narrative that I actually had to look one up to see when I posted it... one of the ones she posted on April 19 was from March 30! She's still talking about it now, but the most recent post of mine she quoted was from almost two weeks ago.

I debated over whether I should even reply at this point but I felt the misrepresentation of my posts needed clarifying, especially since they were so long ago that people might have forgotten the originals and assumed Arlee's "edits" were legit.

In short, that link does not address my point: it is unheard of for a musician to forbid a band from continuing without him/her via a will.

(That link doesn't even talk about wills - it just suggests that bands should be sure to sort out legal matters when they form, which is a pretty obvious point that no one has contested.)

It's not hard to figure out why no one tries to control what a band does via a will. Wills are for distributing property to beneficiaries, not controlling what people do in the future.

The closest you can come is making a gift conditional - like "I bequeath my house to my daughter on the condition she doesn't demolish it" - but you can't say "I forbid my wife from living in the house we co-own if she marries again" in your will. She partially owns that house. Likewise, the Eagles name wasn't solely Glenn's so he can't make it a gift to anyone, or take it away from anyone who currently has ownership in it.

Dead men don't own things and they don't control things.

The best you can do is make your wishes known and hope people comply with them once you're gone.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

This ^^^

Spot on, soda.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016