Page 21 of 92 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    To say that Don, Tim, and Joe are 'special guests' is just an example of the hyperbole which simply doesn't match reality.

If there really was anything wrong with what is happening, then there wouldn't be any need to twist the truth and make things up.

Sorry AT you can't have it both ways. Deacon pretty much saved the Eagles. Your words.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

What are the issues?

1) Should a version of the band continue to play without Glenn?

2) High ticket prices.

3) Should they have backup musicians, off-stage musicians, backing tracks in order to them sound good live?

4) Should they give special opportunities to their children?

The first has been done to death. I'm not keen on the idea but it doesn't hurt me if they do. People close to the band and to Glenn have come around to the idea, so who am I to object? I just don't feel a strong desire to see this version.

They charge what people will pay. I don't have to have to buy tickets and this is where a lack of desire to see them works for me.

They've been using extra musicians since the late seventies. It allows them to play music that they couldn't if it was just the "Eagles". In the 70s, they could pull most of it off with just four of them, but with age comes wear and tear on voices, fingers and backs. If they want to maintain quality, they need help. There's nothing more sad than seeing a once-famous performer who no longer has a voice. We hope they are honest by showing us who is there to help, otherwise it's just a bunch of old guys pretending.

It's essentially a family firm and the owners can bring in members of their families to give them work experience. Again, that started back in the 70s, continued with the HFO tour and looks like it will happen now. Maybe it's not fair to those who don't have family connections, but what business is?

The part I'm interested in is whether it will be any different. This time, there's no new album or documentary to give them a theme and playing the same hits but with Deacon/Vince instead of Glenn seems uninspired.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post

Sorry AT you can't have it both ways. Deacon pretty much saved the Eagles. Your words.
    That doesn't match your characterisation. He didn't save them by taking them over or becoming more important than Don, Tim, and Joe.

Come on AT, "saving them" implies the band could not/might not have survived without him. What about Vince Gill? Who did he save?

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

So what we have here is a brand new era of decades old Eagles music being performed by friends and family with special guests Don Henley, Joe Walsh & Timothy B Schmit?

Distorted Reality at premium ticket prices.

And fans are supposed to be grateful?

Forgive me. Not this one.
    There are TWO family members. Deacon sings 3 songs, Will will not sing any and will probably just be in the background if he is even playing an instrument. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what will is doing. That is my opinion had Glenn been alive. I get not liking what Deacon is doing but what will is doing is not at a issue. The reality is 3/4 of the lineup is still there. It is absurd to insinuate the eagles are the guests now. Ticket prices are up in so many types of business. Sports fans often complain about their prices, same for music. It’s just an economic reality. I don’t think you have to be grateful but this is just ridiculous. I am perfectly accepting of the anti 3.0 lineup group as long as they say things like this

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Come on AT, "saving them" implies the band could not/might not have survived without him. What about Vince Gill? Who did he save?
    That doesn't in any way make him more important than Don, Tim, and Joe. Just that Deacon provided something that the band needed to allow it to continue. Note: something here is a deliberately vague description as I'm not sure exactly what that something is.

Vince Gill is useful, but there are plenty of other people who could play his role.

I don't think that the band would have continued without Deacon. And from what Don H has said, particularly from the time when he seemed to think that the band couldn't reasonably continue, I don't think I'm just making this up.

$850 tickets for the best seats....what a rip off!!! Henley must be up there looking ta the front row thinking "Suckers!". Not even with Glen in the band should someone waste $850 to see the band play in their 70's.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Easy there OMNJ, you're talking to the precise group of fans who paid MORE than that, on a regular basis, to be in the front row. This board is made up of those people. Guess you think they're idiots for choosing how to spend their money and make a weekend out of seeing their beloved band.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Easy there OMNJ, you're talking to the precise group of fans who paid MORE than that, on a regular basis, to be in the front row. This board is made up of those people. Guess you think they're idiots for choosing how to spend their money and make a weekend out of seeing their beloved band.
    Looking at his post history I don't think he is a real fan. Just ignore him

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

The tour schedule is so organized and precise! How do the get the venues booked so it works out this way? I guess it's what all bands do...

March - 8 shows then 2-week break

April - 8 shows then 2-week break

May - 8 shows then month long break

June - 6 shows then 2-week break

July - 8 shows then 2-week break

August - OFF

September - 7 shows then 2-week break

October - 8 shows (including just-added second show at MSG)
    Last edited by MaryCalifornia; 03-07-2018 at 01:54 PM.