Page 22 of 92 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

First of all, let me caution folks AGAIN that name-calling and personal attacks are disrespectful and against our Terms of Service … and can earn you a strike. So, to anyone who wants to participate in the discussion here, please don’t go there.

Now, with regard to the recent development about Will possibly joining the band, I certainly don't mean anything against Will personally. The objection I have is that it is just one more step towards the band becoming a shadow of its former self. Some may think it is ethical to continue even though, as Henley put it, “it’s not exactly the same band” as long as there is family blood, but not me. It seems to me that it doesn’t matter anymore who is up on the stage as long as it’s named ‘Eagles’. By replacing Glenn, the precedent has now been set and, over time, this can evolve into the ‘Eagles’ without any former members as long as there is money to be made. So, it’s not inconceivable that at sometime in the future, we’ll have an ‘Eagles’ line-up with – oh, I dunno – Deacon Frey, Will Henley, Lucy Walsh, Leah Felder, and Jeddrah Schmit. Of course, if you don’t like these players, insert the name of the family members of your choice.

So – if this doesn’t tarnish the legacy of the band, I don’t know what will. The bands with the greatest legacies seemed to understand the words of Don’s mentor, Kenny Rogers – “you got to know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em”.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

My problem is people taking Will Henley possibly stepping in the BACKUP band and running with it so far to believe an all “junior eagles” lineup will happen. I don’t think that will happen first of all, secondly it wouldn’t be the Eagles, they would do their own thing. People need to appreciate the fact that will is only 20 as his dad is 70. He doesn’t have much time left with his father. There is nothing wrong with what will is doing. Deacon is a different story as he is actually replacing someone, will should be above criticism in this situation

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    My problem is people taking Will Henley possibly stepping in the BACKUP band and running with it so far to believe an all “junior eagles” lineup will happen. I don’t think that will happen first of all, secondly it wouldn’t be the Eagles, they would do their own thing. People need to appreciate the fact that will is only 20 as his dad is 70. He doesn’t have much time left with his father. There is nothing wrong with what will is doing. Deacon is a different story as he is actually replacing someone, will should be above criticism in this situation

Exactly. No one said that hew as joining like Vince and Deacon.

Will is probably going to be like Steuart and Scott.

No need to be so afraid

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    So its okayfor Zeppelin to do it?
    I'm not going to rehash this because you, obviously, didn't take anything from the discussion you started over several pages earlier in this thread. As was pointed out then, it is not an analagous comparison on any level.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    YEF - Please go back and read my post and what I said about Will. As far as predicting the future, none of us can do that as far as I know - so my post is not more inaccurate than yours.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    First of all, let me caution folks AGAIN that name-calling and personal attacks are disrespectful and against our Terms of Service … and can earn you a strike. So, to anyone who wants to participate in the discussion here, please don’t go there.

Now, with regard to the recent development about Will possibly joining the band, I certainly don't mean anything against Will personally. The objection I have is that it is just one more step towards the band becoming a shadow of its former self. Some may think it is ethical to continue even though, as Henley put it, “it’s not exactly the same band” as long as there is family blood, but not me. It seems to me that it doesn’t matter anymore who is up on the stage as long as it’s named ‘Eagles’. By replacing Glenn, the precedent has now been set and, over time, this can evolve into the ‘Eagles’ without any former members as long as there is money to be made. So, it’s not inconceivable that at sometime in the future, we’ll have an ‘Eagles’ line-up with – oh, I dunno – Deacon Frey, Will Henley, Lucy Walsh, Leah Felder, and Jeddrah Schmit. Of course, if you don’t like these players, insert the name of the family members of your choice.

So – if this doesn’t tarnish the legacy of the band, I don’t know what will. The bands with the greatest legacies seemed to understand the words of Don’s mentor, Kenny Rogers – “you got to know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em”.

I've had this exact thought, that the band may one day be comprised of their children. I've been reticent to post in this thread, but I feel like I have to throw in my two cents. I'm not saying it will happen or making any judgment, but it's hard not to imagine a time when Will could fill in for Henley if he was unable to perform or sing anymore. While I am sure all of the eagles' children are talented, a band as Dreamer described above would not be the Eagles to me. If Julian Lennon, Dhani Harrison, James McCartney, and Zack Starkey got together and formed a band, would it be The Beatles? It wouldn't to me. It has to end sometime.

I'm getting ahead way of myself here, though, there is a lot we don't know. Maybe Will touring with the band is simply a father and son enjoying some time together and there's nothing wrong with that.

Let me add the disclaimer that I have nothing against the Eagles' children or against anyone who would want to see them all in a band together, touring as the Eagles. This is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Referring to a comment a couple of pages back...As far as I know Gill didn't just accept an offer. Didn't his management contact Eagles' management to offer his services?
    Not that it matters, but whether or not Gill’s management approached the Eagles first, the band still had to be the one extend an offer. At any rate, here’s this:

You've known Don and Glenn for some time. How'd this opportunity come about?
    Through management. [Eagles manager] Irving Azoff picked my manager Larry Fitzgerald's brain about my interest. From what I've been told by Don, I was the only consideration. But I didn't think they'd do it.
    ”Vince Gill Talks Joining the Eagles: 'I Feel I'm a Great Fit'” Rolling Stone, June 16, 2017

Also, he told Bob Seger that after being offered the gig, he watched the HOTE doc for the first time and said (perhaps jokingly) he didn’t want to do it.

There’s some good info some of us posted about Vince way back when but much of it is buried in the 3.0 thread. He’s an outstanding musician and all-around good guy that I have never read nor heard anyone speak ill of, other than some attempts made on this board.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

I'm not going to rehash this because you, obviously, didn't take anything from the discussion you started over several pages earlier in this thread. As was pointed out then, it is not an analagous comparison on any level.

YEF - Please go back and read my post and what I said about Will. As far as predicting the future, none of us can do that as far as I know - so my post is not more inaccurate than yours.
    Sorry dreamer I meant that as a general statement not directed towards your comment

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I've had this exact thought, that the band may one day be comprised of their children. I've been reticent to post in this thread, but I feel like I have to throw in my two cents. I'm not saying it will happen or making any judgment, but it's hard not to imagine a time when Will could fill in for Henley if he was unable to perform or sing anymore. While I am sure all of the eagles' children are talented, a band as Dreamer described above would not be the Eagles to me. If Julian Lennon, Dhani Harrison, James McCartney, and Zack Starkey got together and formed a band, would it be The Beatles? It wouldn't to me. It has to end sometime.

I'm getting ahead way of myself here, though, there is a lot we don't know. Maybe Will touring with the band is simply a father and son enjoying some time together and there's nothing wrong with that.

Let me add the disclaimer that I have nothing against the Eagles' children or against anyone who would want to see them all in a band together, touring as the Eagles. This is just my opinion.
    I agree. It wouldn't be the Eagles because it would have any one who is a part of the Eagles from any era it would just be the Eagles children and if they went out as the Eagles I would not lie happy.

Will and Don have never even suggested that the Eagle kids(Eaglettes) would ever be part of a second generation Eagles.

As for the Children of the Beatles they all have firmly said it will never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    What are the issues?

3) Should they have backup musicians, off-stage musicians, backing tracks in order to them sound good live?

They've been using extra musicians since the late seventies. It allows them to play music that they couldn't if it was just the "Eagles". In the 70s, they could pull most of it off with just four of them, but with age comes wear and tear on voices, fingers and backs. If they want to maintain quality, they need help. There's nothing more sad than seeing a once-famous performer who no longer has a voice. We hope they are honest by showing us who is there to help, otherwise it's just a bunch of old guys pretending.

The part I'm interested in is whether it will be any different. This time, there's no new album or documentary to give them a theme and playing the same hits but with Deacon/Vince instead of Glenn seems uninspired.
    I didn’t realize #3 was an issue. I understand why they want to use backing musicians now given their ages, but they’ve used a hoard of them since HFO. Other bands from the 70s don’t e.g. Styx and they still sound great.

Given that Glenn isn’t there I would say it is definitely different, even if it’s the same old setlist (which I’m hoping they will change up).

So, it’s not inconceivable that at sometime in the future, we’ll have an ‘Eagles’ line-up with – oh, I dunno – Deacon Frey, Will Henley, Lucy Walsh, Leah Felder, and Jeddrah Schmit. Of course, if you don’t like these players, insert the name of the family members of your choice.

That is certainly a strange hodge-podge of different generations and ages. Jeddrah and Lucy are in their 40s now, I believe—the same age as the Eagles when they became a nostalgia act. I have nothing against them performing together and it might even be interesting. But I would think they wouldn’t call themselves the ‘Eagles.’ That would strain believability.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I didn’t realize #3 was an issue. I understand why they want to use backing musicians now given their ages, but they’ve used a hoard of them since HFO. Other bands from the 70s don’t e.g. Styx and they still sound great.

Given that Glenn isn’t there I would say it is definitely different, even if it’s the same old setlist (which I’m hoping they will change up).

That is certainly a strange hodge-podge of different generations and ages. Jeddrah and Lucy are in their 40s now, I believe—the same age as the Eagles when they became a nostalgia act. I have nothing against them performing together and it might even be interesting. But I would think they wouldn’t call themselves the ‘Eagles.’ That would strain believability.
    Lucy and Leah are the same age(actually 9 days apart). They will be 36 this year. Jeddrah is the only one in her 40s and I think she's pushing 50 in a few years.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 03-07-2018 at 05:29 PM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley