Page 24 of 92 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by EagleInKansas View Post
    Surprised Skynyrd didn't hire you as their manager long ago, WF. You clearly know what's best for them. I'd call Irving today and see if you can begin advising the Eagles. Time for those old guys to wrap it up too, eh?

And it's strange that you're complaining about Vince's sound-a-like ability. You don't want Glenn replaced, but if he is it should be by an absolute carbon copy? Bizarre opinion. But it's on me for expecting any consistency or sense. Carry on. Make that call.
    So, let me get this straight, you'd be ok with a band that would have "0" original members? Now that's bizarre. Yes, I feel I do know what's best. As a lifelong fan, I know that sometimes it's better to go out with a bang than a whimper. I think they've proven everything they needed to and it's time to retire and call it quits. Sometimes I don't think the whole "we need to keep the music alive" is needed. It can and will continue to speak for itself. It doesn't need to be in concert now. Gary Rossington is in bad health. I hate to say this, but he probably won't be with us much longer. He keeps having heart attacks and then bypass surgeries. I'd rather him enjoy his time remaining off the road with family than suffer through the grueling experience that touring entails. I also would rather them end their legacy on a positive note, not stopping because of Gary's sudden death. JMO.

As far as the Vince thing, I don't want Glenn to be replaced by anyone carbon copy or not. I just wonder why they picked him when there are many other voices that are way closer and better for that vocal style. There are tribute band singers out there that come very, very close to Glenn's voice. Just makes me wonder.

Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons recently said they want they want the band to continue after they are gone. I think it's a pretty vomit-inducing idea. If the principal songwriters aren't there, the leaders, etc then it's not KISS. They want their kids to take it over eventually. I'm sorry, but a band shouldn't be a family business. If they want to do music fine, but do their own. That's all I'm saying.

As far as calling Irving, he'd probably prefer that I don't call him, because if I get the man himself on the phone, I'm not going to hold back my thoughts on this.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Let's not forget there are other wives and kids now grown up who may want a piece of the 2018 mega tour pie. If they don't sing or play an instrument there are other ways one can earn a paycheck eg roadie, hair/makeup/wardrobe stylist, videographer, chef, masseuse, yoga instructor, etc.

Second, the brand needs an Eagles touring band to continue generating the kind of money made over the the past 21 years -
    @ 490 play dates across the USA and overseas.

As such, they may very well need to add/subtract from the current lineup. As pointed out the guys are in their 70's and baby boomer consumers are aging out of the Classic Rock festival/stadium market place. How long can they fill these mega size venues by themselves or in concert with other aging classic artists and bands?
    Last edited by Dawn; 03-08-2018 at 01:30 AM.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Let's not forget there are other wives and kids now grown up who may want a piece of the 2018 mega tour pie. If they don't sing or play an instrument there are other ways they can earn a paycheck eg roadie, hair/makeup/wardrobe stylist, videographer, chef, masseuse, yoga instructor, etc.
    That happened during the HFO tour as well. That isn’t new

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Let's not forget there are other wives and kids now grown up who may want a piece of the 2018 mega tour pie. If they don't sing or play an instrument there are other ways they can earn a paycheck eg roadie, hair/makeup/wardrobe stylist, videographer, chef, masseuse, yoga instructor, etc.
    Absolutely. Good point.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Austin...Me and a lot of Kiss fans in the KISSFAQ forum don't believe that Gene and Paul really want Kiss to continue without them. We feel they're saying that to justify Tommy and Eric in Ace's and Peter's makeup.

Playing in a band is not the same as selling furniture. The idea of "passing it down in the family" is laughable, IMHO.

Then again, as we've said, the Eagles is now being treated like a brand rather than a band. Perhaps it isn't so far from selling furniture after all at this point. Why not let the kids run the company, eh?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Rebel

I keep going back to Joe's comment about "Eagles friends and family". I believe that this is how they consider themselves, but using the name "Eagles" is the only thing that makes sense, business-wise. No, it's not the original Eagles and is even somewhat different from the HOTE version. but it's still a superior product and a lot of fun.

And you know what, just because they're calling on different people doesn't mean it's bad. I don't know how talented Will is, but whatever you may think of the additions of Vince and Deacon, they still had an excellent product for last year's shows. The harmonies were spot on, as always, even though they were arranged a little differently from previous iterations due to different voice ranges and strengths.

And really, I don't see anything at all wrong with doing this. The guys seem to be having a lot of fun, they sound good, and at least Joe and Deacon have said it's cathartic in helping heal from Glenn's death.

As far as whether Glenn would have approved, I have no idea. Perhaps you die-hard Glenn fans are right and he wouldn't have wanted to go on, but you know what? Yes, Glenn was the leader, but Don and Glenn were BOTH founding members. The band evolved with them standing shoulder-to-shoulder. Don was just as key to band's success as Glenn, so why shouldn't he have the power to make the decision to go on or not, as long as he has the approval of Glenn's family? (Which he obviously does.) Yes, if it were Don who had died, Glenn's decision might have been very different, and he might not have wanted to go on. But with all due respect to Glenn, life is for the living. And even if it might not have been what Glenn would have decided, I have to think that he'd have a smile on his face seeing Deacon up there with his old band mates.

A couple of other comments:

Vince Gill - why are people blaming him for being in the band? He's a great harmony singer and guitar player, he's liked by all the guys (and was liked by Glenn, as well), and he had hit it off with Don when they worked together on Cass County. Their voices blend very well together, which would have had to have been a key factor in making a choice.

Nepotism- Let's face it, Deacon and Will would not have these jobs if it weren't for their parents, but so what? Don is a perfectionist and I doubt very much he'd put anyone in a role were they couldn't perform. When choosing musicians for a band, you generally go with people you know. A line from the HOTE dvd that always makes me tear up is, "I wanted to be in a band with you." Well, Don, Joe and Timothy wanted to be in a band with Vince, Deacon and Will. I say, great for them. Why not enjoy life at this stage and do what you want, as long as the musical product is excellent?
    Last edited by maryc2130; 03-08-2018 at 02:16 PM.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Wow, amazing - from Forbes: "The Eagles are the most in-demand act for concert tickets, according to TickPick. Fans buying on the secondary marketplace put the veteran band on top, in front of Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, U2 and Billy Joel. Legacy acts and Top 40 artists rule the summer marketplace. Followers of The Eagles are prepared to pay an average of about $238 for tickets to the shows, the statistics say, based the online marketplace’s data on the top concerts of 2018."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markbee.../#3a9d42d774d3

Take that, Taylor Swift and U2!

Speaking of the "secondary marketplace"

Google a takes action

http://teamrock.com/news/2017-11-24/...-ticket-market
    Last edited by Dawn; 03-08-2018 at 02:01 PM.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by EagleInKansas View Post
    I am excited to follow the careers of Deacon, Will and other Eagles offspring. I hope they make a lot of great music that we can enjoy for many years to come. I think Deacon has a great country voice, even though he doesn't seem particularly interested in that genre of music.

I doubt the music the Eagles' kids make will be a collaboration and it certainly won't be under the "Eagles" banner.
    I too wish nothing but the best for the children of all of the Eagles. I personally never objected to Eagles kids taking the stage in some form or another during an Eagles show and I don’t believe Glenn did either. However, that is very different from some iteration of them performing as the Eagles. I used to say that would never happen, but given the current circumstances, I don’t believe it is out of the realm of possibility in the future. But to repeat what I said earlier – no, we certainly do not know if it would or would not be under the “Eagles” banner unless you are able to predict the future.

And maryc2130 – You did a nice job of summing up your side of this ongoing argument. And, nothing personal, but those of us on the other side will never buy into the justifications that this is all okay because the band is having fun and they want to play these songs. So, while I agree that life is for the living, I also believe that some things are best left frozen in time.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016