Page 25 of 92 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    And maryc2130 – You did a nice job of summing up your side of this ongoing argument. And, nothing personal, but those of us on the other side will never buy into the justifications that this is all okay because the band is having fun and they want to play these songs. So, while I agree that life is for the living, I also believe that some things are best left frozen in time.
    This is especially true when the living are making money by cheapening the past. They cheapened the Eagles sound when they replaced Glenn.

While the ethical aspect may be subjective, there is no denying that the music they are making now does not sound the same as it did with Glenn. I guess the question is: does it matter?*

I fear to some, that question was entirely dependent on another question: "Are the 'Eagles' marketable without Glenn?" As soon as they found out the answer was "yes", then the question "Does it matter" was answered with a "No."

*As I've said before, I realize it matters emotionally and the "pro" camp recognize it is different... but does it matter enough to bring the Eagles to a halt?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

As long as they are making big money like the Forbes article suggests, and they are physically able, they will be out there doing it.

I never thought they would do this, but it seems money talks.

I've seen several of my friends post on Fb about them being on tour and always want to say "it's not the REAL Eagles" but I just let it go. No use arguing! I don't mind if they want to see this incarnation, but I'm just not interested.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Soda – I believe you are dead on with your remark that the band's sound was cheapened when Glenn was replaced. As maryc2130 said, ‘the band evolved with Don and Glenn standing shoulder-to-shoulder', and, to me, that's the way it should have ended. And I can say with 100% certainty that if we were talking about Don here, God forbid, I would be saying exactly the same thing.

And to further address the arguments that the band should be enjoying life – I couldn't agree more; but, I believe they should seek options other than capitalizing on the ‘Eagles’ name. Because the ‘Eagles’ that Glenn was such an integral part of crafting and nurturing for over 45 years deserves better. His incomparable vision and contributions to the band should have been immortalized with unconditional dignity, and not compromised for the enjoyment, benefit, or catharsis of the remaining members. The best way to honor and preserve a legacy is to LEAVE IT ALONE!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Wow, amazing - from Forbes: "The Eagles are the most in-demand act for concert tickets, according to TickPick. Fans buying on the secondary marketplace put the veteran band on top, in front of Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, U2 and Billy Joel. Legacy acts and Top 40 artists rule the summer marketplace. Followers of The Eagles are prepared to pay an average of about $238 for tickets to the shows, the statistics say, based the online marketplace’s data on the top concerts of 2018."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markbee.../#3a9d42d774d3

Take that, Taylor Swift and U2!
    I can't read the article but one of my FB friends posted a link to it. And even I can see that the key words in the link quoted above are MOST EXPENSIVE.

So if you wish to applaud them for charging the most expensive prices in the marketplace for an inferior product, feel free. My sentiments are otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I can't read the article but one of my FB friends posted a link to it. And even I can see that the key words in the link quoted above are MOST EXPENSIVE.

So if you wish to applaud them for charging the most expensive prices in the marketplace for an inferior product, feel free. My sentiments are otherwise.
    I think Mary is just saying it’s good that the guys remain so relevant and wanted during this day and age. I think that is a good thing

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

FP, I am praising them for the FACTS described in the article - "The Eagles are the most in-demand act for concert tickets..." I think the entire paragraph is impressive and worthy of praise on this board, and I'm happy that they're in the national conversation for their industry. You, with your comment about inferior product, are just making stuff up.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    FP, I am praising them for the FACTS described in the article - "The Eagles are the most in-demand act for concert tickets..." I think the entire paragraph is impressive and worthy of praise on this board, and I'm happy that they're in the national conversation for their industry. You, with your comment about inferior product, are just making stuff up.
    In my opinion, the product they are presenting without Glenn Frey is inferior.

That is not making stuff up; that is a view held by the people who agree with me & by many others who would not go to see this act as it now is.

If you think it's a good thing that this act is 'in demand' and it's good that people are willing to pay these prices, you have every right to think so. I also have every right to feel sad about it.

Man I think we better annihilate this horse. It keeps coming back to life.

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    I keep going back to Joe's comment about "Eagles friends and family". I believe that this is how they consider themselves, but using the name "Eagles" is the only thing that makes sense, business-wise. No, it's not the original Eagles and is even somewhat different from the HOTE version. but it's still a superior product and a lot of fun.

And you know what, just because they're calling on different people doesn't mean it's bad. I don't know how talented Will is, but whatever you may think of the additions of Vince and Deacon, they still had an excellent product for last year's shows. The harmonies were spot on, as always, even though they were arranged a little differently from previous iterations due to different voice ranges and strengths.

And really, I don't see anything at all wrong with doing this. The guys seem to be having a lot of fun, they sound good, and at least Joe and Deacon have said it's cathartic in helping heal from Glenn's death.

As far as whether Glenn would have approved, I have no idea. Perhaps you die-hard Glenn fans are right and he wouldn't have wanted to go on, but you know what? Yes, Glenn was the leader, but Don and Glenn were BOTH founding members. The band evolved with them standing shoulder-to-shoulder. Don was just as key to band's success as Glenn, so why shouldn't he have the power to make the decision to go on or not, as long as he has the approval of Glenn's family? (Which he obviously does.) Yes, if it were Don who had died, Glenn's decision might have been very different, and he might not have wanted to go on. But with all due respect to Glenn, life is for the living. And even if it might not have been what Glenn would have decided, I have to think that he'd have a smile on his face seeing Deacon up there with his old band mates.

A couple of other comments:

Vince Gill - why are people blaming him for being in the band? He's a great harmony singer and guitar player, he's liked by all the guys (and was liked by Glenn, as well), and he had hit it off with Don when they worked together on Cass County. Their voices blend very well together, which would have had to have been a key factor in making a choice.

Nepotism- Let's face it, Deacon and Will would not have these jobs if it weren't for their parents, but so what? Don is a perfectionist and I doubt very much he'd put anyone in a role were they couldn't perform. When choosing musicians for a band, you generally go with people you know. A line from the HOTE dvd that always makes me tear up is, "I wanted to be in a band with you." Well, Don, Joe and Timothy wanted to be in a band with Vince, Deacon and Will. I say, great for them. Why not enjoy life at this stage and do what you want, as long as the musical product is excellent?
    Great post, maryc.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    *As I've said before, I realize it matters emotionally and the "pro" camp recognize it is different... but does it matter enough to bring the Eagles to a halt?
    Don, Joe and Timothy matter. Still. So do Glenn’s songs.

Some fans seem to believe that the memory of Glenn will fade away the more the new line-up continues on. I disagree and believe his memory and legacy will be strengthened. It’s not like it was with Bernie and Randy when they were all but forgotten until the HOTE doc. This is different. I guess that’s a fundamental difference of opinion between the two camps.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

It's becoming abundantly clear the band needs to keep touring to feed the beast.

This isn't just sad- it is shameful.
    Last edited by Dawn; 03-08-2018 at 09:15 PM.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016