Page 27 of 92 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    And this is the crux of all of the disagreement on this board the past year, right Soda? That Glenn's death was not enough to bring the Eagles to a halt. Glenn's hardcore fans view this with surprise, extreme disappointment and a firmly held belief that he is not getting the respect he is due.

Would Mick Jagger's death halt the Stones? Probably. Jon Bon Jovi? Bono? Probably. What is the difference? Obviously, that the Eagles have never had a lead singer and that there are still plenty of songs to be sung by their original singers. (Queen defies this theory.) But even regardless of who sings lead on what songs and who is brought in to perform with them, my point is, if you have 1) the remaining members want to tour; 2) HUGE money 3) a majority of the set list still sung by the original singers - whose legacy WOULD be enough to halt this?

And I say this in an attempt to comfort the Glenn fans. I know I won't change your minds, but with all of the elements in play here that we now know are in play, there was never a chance that his death would halt the band - not a chance. I say that NOBODY's death could have halted anything similar to the machine that is the Eagles. There is too much at stake personally, professionally, financially for those remaining behind.
    I don't understand this at all. What is at stake?

Personally - they have nothing to prove. So why do this?
    Professionally - this exercise is not furthering their careers in any way. It is simply an exercise in making money.
    Financially - I guess if their sole purpose in life now is to make even more money, I suppose that works.

So the Eagles 'machine' could have been brought to a halt because Glenn Frey died. Well, we can't have that, can we. We can't allow an 'inconvenient truth' such as a brutal reminder of mortality to stop the juggernaut, can we.

So please tell me how you think a Frey fan such as myself is supposed to be comforted by your assertion that they had all these other songs still sung by their original singers. Who cares about the Frey songs. They aren't important. HE wasn't important, is what you are saying. He didn't matter at all.

Well, I wish you joy of it.

Banned

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Despite what some are attempting to argue, the longer the 'Eagles' continue to perform without Glenn Frey, with others singing his songs, his legacy will diminish & he will be forgotten. That is already happening with the enthusiasm some are showing for this lineup.
    This is just wrong.

Banned

Especially because his literal legacy is the one singing some of the songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    It's becoming abundantly clear the band needs to keep touring to feed the beast.

This isn't just sad- it is shameful.
    I just don’t see that at all. If it that was true, it’s been true for a long time

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I think Glenn was getting tired. I think if he hadn't passed, he would have probably stopped the band at some point. He didn't have the drive anymore, as Don apparently does. If Don died, that retirement and halting the Eagles would have happened simply because I don't think he felt like touring much anymore and I think it would have ended anyway, and certainly because losing Don. I think if Glenn was alive, the Eagles would have stopped touring in a couple years.
    Glenn was doing stuff with hotel California, personal memoirs, he was always more public and open than don was. He was probably more in favor of the documentary than Don was. I don’t see that being true

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by EagleInKansas View Post
    Especially because his literal legacy is the one singing some of the songs.
    I fail to see how having his son sing his songs is preserving his legacy.His son is his offspring, who had nothing to do with his career. And of course, his son is only singing SOME of his songs. I'm sorry, but it doesn't make it any better that it is his son who is involved.

At some point both sides in this debate are going to have to agree to disagree. In my view none of this need have, or should have, happened.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleInKansas View Post
    How can the past be cheapened? It's the past. It has already happened. Everything that happened within the band "in the past" is already secure. No No. 1 hits or Grammys are being taken away, they're not downgrading albums from platinum to copper. They're not releasing Hotel California with a newly distorted Don Felder guitar solo. We haven't found out that the Eagles were lip-synching throughout the 1970s.

So what is cheapened? Everything is the same. Now is different, but the past hasn't changed.
    I’ve been saying this for a long time. The only people who believe the legacy is being tainted are those who don’t like the 3.0 lineup which is the minority

I fail to see how having his son sing his songs is preserving his legacy.His son is his offspring, who had nothing to do with his career. And of course, his son is only singing SOME of his songs. I'm sorry, but it doesn't make it any better that it is his son who is involved.

At some point both sides in this debate are going to have to agree to disagree. In my view none of this need have, or should have, happened.
    I don’t think this tour strengthens Glenn’s legacy but I cannot understand how it ruins or dimishes his legacy. Has Don Felder or Randy Meisner been dimished for not touring past HFO? Legacies aren’t built with tours based to make millions. They are built in their prime. The music they made and the story they told is the legacy. That was built in the 70’s and was only changed with the addition of LROOE. Which is still largely forgotten by most people for better or worse

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

So please tell me how you think a Frey fan such as myself is supposed to be comforted by your assertion that they had all these other songs still sung by their original singers. Who cares about the Frey songs. They aren't important. HE wasn't important, is what you are saying. He didn't matter at all.

Well, I wish you joy of it.
    C'mon FP - I didn't say any of these things, nobody has ever said these things on this board, I don't know how you extrapolate what you are saying here from my post. My point was that knowing what we know now (#1, #2 and #3 are all true - we didn't know these things when Glenn died or in the year after) I now can see in hindsight that with the dynamics of the Eagles band NOBODY's death could have stopped it, NOBODY would be "enough".

Also, please don't say that someone else has nothing to prove personally or professionally in their business activities. In this case it smacks of ageism. Are you criticizing them for continuing to tour solo and make solo records?
    Last edited by MaryCalifornia; 03-08-2018 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Glenn was doing stuff with hotel California, personal memoirs, he was always more public and open than don was. He was probably more in favor of the documentary than Don was. I don’t see that being true
    I meant touring. Not with side projects or documentaries or memoirs.

Before Glenn died, and the HOTE tour was going on, there was a lot of information about it being the last tour, and that Glenn was wanting to wrap the band up. If he had not died, I think the band would be done about now if not in a year or two. He wasn't against other projects, but he was tired of touring and his health wasn't the best. I think he would have stopped it not long after HOTE.

There was plenty to indicate that he was wrapping up the Eagles before he died.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."