Page 29 of 92 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Oh, I don't think for a second we are *that* small of a population. Outside of this board, I think there are probably just as many or close to it of those who wouldn't go than there are that would go. We just don't see it because they don't post. We might be a lesser population, but it's probly more 60/40 than 80/20. JMO.
    This is certainly my experience -- and frankly in this era of fake news and fake people trolling discussion boards, Instagram, facebook groups, Twitter, etc to manipulate public & political opinion and promote self serving agendas .... it's crazy. For sure, I don't think the music industry is immune. Insert Rolling Eyes.

Inside the Social Media Black Market

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...edia-bots.html

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Agree to disagree YEF.

There was even a thread here talking about it but maybe that was before you joined and don't remember.

"Final goodbye" can be translated to a lot of things, YEF. It didn't indicate future shows. Final goodbye could mean just seeing each other again, simply put.

I think there is more evidence to support that he was getting rid to quit touring than there are against it.
    I agree. Glenn was a warrior but the HOTE tour was over the top INTENSE. He had other interests he was actively pursuing. I believe 21 years was enough.

That could be true... Because they've certainly taken a lot of heat for that. I'm ok with Tommy and Eric being in the band, but do your own makeup design. Eric Carr and Vinnie Vincent did it, why not Tommy and Eric! Because they aren't Ace/Peter. I'm not the worlds biggest Tommy fan. I probably have more respect for Singer at this point than I do Thayer. Thayer just rubs me the wrong way. From interviews I've seen, he's all rough and tough and trying to put on an act and that's what it is, an act. He tries to be a tough guy. He'd do better if he was an actor or an athlete or something. But that fake machismo gets old fast.
    My bold ... Amen to that!

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

In other bands that I know, when family members get involved both in onstage and offstage capabilities, people seem to like it. Many mailing list members for one band made sure that they visited the merchandise stall on one concert tour as it was manned by the son of the artist.

I personally cannot see anything wrong with that. I consider it something that I saw a famous musician's son (same musician, different son) go onstage to play guitar (and play one of his own songs) at 15, and in the decades since to see him develop into a very capable musician and songwriter in his own right.

If a band ended up in the extreme case of having no original members through slow attrition (rather than just giving the name to an unconnected band) then I would have no problem with that. However, I'd judge them on their own merits, and in some situations where things similar to this have happened, I've been uninterested as the magic has gone. But, I wouldn't say that the band shouldn't continue; just that I personally don't wish to buy live or recorded product any more. (As I have decided for some artists where the quality of their product has declined.)

If Eagles did decide to pass the band off to a second generation, then I wouldn't see anything morally or legally wrong with that. They built the band; they get to decide what to do with it. I'd definitely give any new product of theirs a good listen to. However, for me to decide to continue supporting the band, I'd have to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    This is especially true when the living are making money by cheapening the past. They cheapened the Eagles sound when they replaced Glenn.
    I am quoting myself here because I want to clarify this statement which I believe has been misunderstood by some. I do not believe they can change what's past, so they can't cheapen the past in that sense. Let me put it in more commercial terms; they are "damaging the brand" by presenting themselves as the Eagles. They are making their living presenting themselves as the Eagles and playing "cheaper" versions of the songs. Thus, they "cheapen" the Eagles's sound in that sense.

Therefore, I have to disagree with Freypower and others who believe Glenn will be forgotten due to this egregious error in judgment. I do not hold that extreme opinion, because I remember to step outside the emotion of the moment and keep a "big picture" perspective regarding that matter.

I have said this elsewhere, but we must remember that as upsetting as all of this is, and as much as I loathe it, this too shall pass.

Whenever this ends, as mercifully it must, this relatively short and painful period is what will be forgotten. The albums will remain. That is the Eagles' legacy.

Let's think about this for a moment. Will a few years of touring done long after the Eagles' heydey, with ticket prices so expensive that most of the Eagles' fanbase can't even go, trump some of the greatest selling albums and most loved songs of the 20th century? Will people forget that it's Glenn Frey's voice they're hearing on those albums because some other guy (whose name they probably can't even recall) and Glenn's son (whom they only care about due to his connection to Glenn!) toured as the Eagles for a few years at the tail end of their existence?

Methinks not.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

When Glenn sang Take it to the Limit on their tour, do people also consider that cheapening of the Eagles' sound? Maybe only slightly because it was just one song as opposed to the six Frey lead vocal songs now being sung by Deacon or Vince?

My preference is always to hear the songs as sung by the original lead vocalists and whenever there is a substitution, I don't believe the audience gets the total experience as they would otherwise. I would rather see them expand their setlist to include other songs that had Don, Joe or Timothy as the original lead vocalist and maybe have TITTL and one other Glenn song performed as a tribute.

I am glad I had the chance to see them twice with Glenn, but I am still looking forward to seeing them again in their current lineup configuration.

Border Rebel

Soda--I have never posted in any of these contentious threads as I am not by nature an argumentative person. There have been many times I have thought about it, but then stopped and thought again. I think for the most part, a small number of people have posted and reposted their thoughts on the Eagles (or Eagles 3.0) continuing to tour in various threads. Some posts have been loud and aggressive, some snarky and hurtful (possibly unintentionally), and some thoughtful. These posts have come from both sides. Full disclosure, I am not against them touring now and went to see them last October in Louisville. I enjoyed seeing them again after 37 years. Were they the "real" Eagles, the Eagles of my youth? No, of course not. Most importantly, Glenn was gone, my favorite Eagle, my favorite songs. Also, "my" Eagles were not 70 year old men. But these were the Eagles that I had a chance to attend a concert with my son, who had become a become a big fan.

Although I guess this puts me on the "other side", I wanted to let you know that I agree with you about the Eagles legacy. Their legacy is that music from the seventies that still resonates today. Their legacy is why many on this board became fans and attended concerts in the guys' later years. I even think of the HFO years as later years, ones that were made possible by their legacy. To me, my "real" Eagles were those 20 something guys who sang those beautiful songs onstage, sounding just like their wonderful albums. For me, the Eagles were a moment in time, and that time was the seventies. I'm glad I was there for the ride...

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I am quoting myself here because I want to clarify this statement which I believe has been misunderstood by some. I do not believe they can change what's past, so they can't cheapen the past in that sense. Let me put it in more commercial terms; they are "damaging the brand" by presenting themselves as the Eagles. They are making their living presenting themselves as the Eagles and playing "cheaper" versions of the songs. Thus, they "cheapen" the Eagles's sound in that sense.

Therefore, I have to disagree with Freypower and others who believe Glenn will be forgotten due to this egregious error in judgment. I do not hold that extreme opinion, because I remember to step outside the emotion of the moment and keep a "big picture" perspective regarding that matter.

I have said this elsewhere, but we must remember that as upsetting as all of this is, and as much as I loathe it, this too shall pass.

Whenever this ends, as mercifully it must, this relatively short and painful period is what will be forgotten. The albums will remain. That is the Eagles' legacy.

Let's think about this for a moment. Will a few years of touring, done long after the Eagles' heydey, so expensive that most of the Eagles' fanbase can't even go, trump some of the greatest selling albums and most loved songs of the 20th century? That people will not appreciate that it's Glenn Frey's voice they're hearing on those albums because some other guy whose name they probably can't even recall and Glenn's son (whom they only care about due to his connection to Glenn!) toured as the Eagles for a few years at the tail end of their existence?

Methinks not.
    Thank you Soda. It is comforting to believe there is a light at the end of the tunnel and I'm trying but I am concerned The Beast will never go quietly into the good night.

There are a couple of reasons I feel this way but at the end of the day it all comes down to this:

With Glenn Frey no longer in the equation we are witnessing just how little time and effort it took for The Beast to rear it's ugly head and crank up the money making machine to FULL SPEED.

What really sickens me is in two years they couldn't find (afford) the time to honor Glenn with a tribute concert for fans.

I have much more to say on this topic (tribute) and will do so in the proper thread.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

MC – I appreciate your attempt to comfort Glenn fans and know your heart is in the right place. But with all due respect, I took very little solace from your post. First of all, I want to repeat that I have always been an Eagles fan first and foremost and I would have felt exactly the same way if Don Henley had preceded Glenn in death. I can’t buy the argument that Glenn’s death could not have halted the Eagles. In fact, all of the band members pronounced on numerous occasions that it had done exactly that. Then, they made a conscious decision to go back on their word. I don’t understand what was at stake for them personally or professionally if the band had quit. As I have pointed out numerous times, there were many options available to them - they could have continued to perform solo, collaborate with other artists, or even perform together under another name. So, the way I see it is the only thing at stake was the money. It would take a very naïve person not to know that some fans would not respect their decision, but that apparently didn’t matter to them. So, yes, there is criticism and they should not be immune to it, IMO.

The Beatles permanently disbanded after their breakup and John Lennon’s death and they didn’t have a single lead singer either. I have total respect the decisions they made – they demonstrated vision, wisdom, and integrity at a very young age. They secured their band’s legacy forever and, individually, went on to forge new paths for themselves. So, yes, this is the standard and expectation myself and others held the Eagles to. Whether the Eagles legacy is tarnished or not, only time will tell. But, the closer they move towards becoming caricatures of their former selves and passing the band on to a second generation will do nothing to help it, that’s for sure. I do, however, agree with Soda’s last post that Glenn, as one of the band’s two principle songwriters and vocalists, will not be forgotten when the final chapter of this band is written. But, none of this changes the sadness, disappointment, and betrayal I feel by my favorite band. Others, obviously, accepted a different standard than I – so I guess we can chalk it up to different value/belief systems. And, no words, no matter how many times they are repeated, will change how I feel about the choice to continue – I just fundamentally believe it was the wrong thing to do.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I think that was a thoughtful post Dreamer and I think it’s a good note to leave this thread on