Page 44 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Thank you YEF, I appreciate your apology and your willingness to ‘own’ it. I have to agree that, unfortunately, you took the brunt of the blame for this most recent incident, when clearly several others also used the word 'hate'. You apologized and I believe you are sincere, so apology accepted. And I have to agree with FP that it is ridiculous to defend using the term so long as you don’t include an ‘r’. Just like if I say someone is trolling, then I’m calling them a troll. The difference here is that ‘trolling’ is specifically against the board’s Terms of Service, so if someone is displaying those characteristics, then it needs to be called out for what it is; whereas, it isn’t productive or respectful to use name-calling as a general rule and take the chance of offending others. As Soda said, the better option is to be respectful and not offend. If you truly don’t want to offend others, then before you hit the ‘Submit Reply’ button, think about what you are writing. If in doubt, then don’t post it.

As far as the varying degrees of opinion, that is true on both sides of this issue. If there are those that are cynical and negative about every aspect, there are just as many on the other side that cannot accept any criticism of the band whatsoever. One thing we all have to remember is that it takes two sides to keep this debate going. Neither side is all right or all wrong. If you are here, you are contributing. If you want no part of this, then opt out. If you want to participate, then stop complaining, do not troll, be respectful, and as UTW said recognize your fellow members “as individuals with opinions that fall somewhere on the scale between strongly for and strongly against but with whom we share a love of the music”.
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 03-18-2018 at 01:22 PM.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Again, IMHO it is the CONTEXT in how and why the term was used that matters. Intolerance, indignation, resentment that fans who don't support the current lineup exist and are free to express their opinions. Cynical, harsh, negative as those opinions may be at times, they are valid. If you feel like someone is raining on your parade, grab an umbrella. Or find another discussion board where diverse opinions aren't welcomed nor accomodated. I promise you that is the easy solution.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Thank you for your post Dreamer and I appreciate those who made productive posts in an unfortunate situation. I think the issue is now solved. I will try harder to think more before posting. I’ve said it before but I will put more effort. I don’t feel victimized or anything as I did make a poor comment and I don’t think anyone else said anything that was worthy of condemnation. I’m grateful my apology has been accepted and that we can move forward

You're welcome, YEF.

And I agree, this poor dead horse has been beaten to a pulp.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Thank you for your post Dreamer and I appreciate those who made productive posts in an unfortunate situation. I think the issue is now solved. I will try harder to think more before posting. I’ve said it before but I will put more effort. I don’t feel victimized or anything as I did make a poor comment and I don’t think anyone else said anything that was worthy of condemnation. I’m grateful my apology has been accepted and that we can move forward
    I haven't been here enough lately to know what exactly you have said before (the 'hater' stuff), but I dig your recent posts as they seem sincere. Whenever someone is able to look in the mirror so to speak, I like it.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    If there are those that are cynical and negative about every aspect, there are just as many on the other side that cannot accept any criticism of the band whatsoever.
    Thank you for the nice post Dreamer. I have no objection to others being cynical and negative about everything - that is their right and I would not oppose or try to silence their thoughts or argue with them. What I do object to and where I feel like I have to call it out (I did not in this case but others did) is when someone goes one step further than their own opinion and ascribes emotions, motivations or intentions to Don, Joe or Tim that are based on absolutely nothing - no facts, no knowledge, no quotes from the guys, nothing. It's important to stick to available facts and the "I feel" or "I think" form, and not try to assert how the guys are feeling or why they are doing something - we can't possibly know unless we're citing a quote or some other reliable information.

Thanks, MC - Point taken. I would just add, however, that, as we have said before, this is an emotional issue. Of course, when we comment on something, we don't know what the guys are thinking, but we do know how it makes us feel, which is fair game. I agree that the lesson here is that we try to describe our perceptions in those terms rather than what the band members are intending or thinking. But, on the other side of the coin, if someone expresses how they interpret or perceive something, it can be respectfully challenged without jumping down their throat or totally dismissing their feelings.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Agree with all of this Dreamer, thank you. It's unfortunate that semantics and nit-picky details are so important, but with a board like this, all we have is the written words, so it does make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Again, IMHO it is the CONTEXT in how and why the term was used that matters. Intolerance, indignation, resentment that fans who don't support the current lineup exist and are free to express their opinions. Cynical, harsh, negative as those opinions may be at times, they are valid. If you feel like someone is raining on your parade, grab an umbrella. Or find another discussion board where diverse opinions aren't welcomed nor accomodated. I promise you that is the easy solution.
    This.

It may be more ok to use in some younger people, but it's very offensive to those of us who it was directed at. Hate/hater is a strong word and shouldn't be used loosely. Even moreso when directed at a person or group of people. Don't even get me started on the young folk today that go around saying 'haters gonna hate'. Dumbest saying ever, if you ask me. It's a bad way to defend your viewpoint. It's a poor way for the user of the phrase to write someone off.

I am glad YEF has apologized (thank you), but I think Dawn is right. It comes down to how it was meant at the time that was the issue. Not a perceptual issue.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

YEF - I am a little late with this (for which I apologize) but I just wanted to let you now I accept your apology. We all will have to agree to disagree and just agree that we are all Eagles fans.