Page 5 of 92 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 920

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

  1. #41
    Stuck on the Border Dawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Walking in Memphis ...
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year!!

    From the beginning, when the terrible news Glenn Frey had died was made public, it was widely believed the Eagles were done. Not only did it seem inconceivable they could continue without him but it was hard to imagine why they would even "want" to.

    That was then. Before Azoff put together his version of the hugely successful Desert Trip 2016 festival: The Classic East & West with the remnants of the Eagles and addition of Vince Gill and Deacon Frey to complete the lineup booked as co-headliners.

    This bi-coastal event in the summer of 2017 was described as an "experiment" but it wasn't long before more concert dates were added: Classic Northwest with the Doobie Brothers in Sept and several Evening With The Eagles concerts in October. Total 2017: 7/8 concerts

    Now they are going full speed ahead with over 50 concerts booked for 2018. No news yet on whether they are planning a European tour, Australia, Japan, etc. but I would not be surprised.


    "Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

  2. #42
    Border Rebel travlnman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    785

    Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    From the beginning, when the terrible news Glenn Frey had died was made public, it was widely believed the Eagles were done. Not only did it seem inconceivable they could continue without him but it was hard to imagine why they would even "want" to.

    That was then. Before Azoff put together his version of the hugely successful Desert Trip 2016 festival: The Classic East & West with the remnants of the Eagles and addition of Vince Gill and Deacon Frey to complete the lineup booked as co-headliners.

    This bi-coastal event in the summer of 2017 was described as an "experiment" but it wasn't long before more concert dates were added: Classic Northwest with the Doobie Brothers in Sept and several Evening With The Eagles concerts in October. Total 2017: 7/8 concerts

    Now they are going full speed ahead with over 50 concerts booked for 2018. No news yet on whether they are planning a European tour, Australia, Japan, etc. but I would not be surprised.
    When I was going back at the HOTE doc I feel that Irving will take advantage of any situation . to further himself and get money into his pocket.

  3. #43
    Stuck on the Border Dawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Walking in Memphis ...
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year!!

    Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    When I was going back at the HOTE doc I feel that Irving will take advantage of any situation . to further himself and get money into his pocket.
    All things considered, my personal view is while Irving Azoff might be the best thing that ever happened to the Eagles he may also be the worst.

    Having said that, Frey, Henley are not naive. Over the years they learned some very valuable albeit painful lessons about the music industry to enable them to make informed decisions.

    But yeah, the BIG money is in touring.


    "Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

  4. #44
    Out on the Border
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year!!

    I was fortunate to see various line-ups 40 plus times over the years. I have seen most of the individuals solo as well. Several times for some of them. I always returned to see the band together, because it was ALWAYS simply magical.

    Like Don has said" all we can do, is sing, and play these instruments".

    Together, whatever version I witnessed, those crazy harmonies that were amazing. Their voices combined for a sound that I believe, cannot be replicated.

    Many artists liken their creations as their children. To be released to the world. To be enjoyed, celebrated, to inspire, to be made into the listeners own, to be loved.

    For that reason alone, I would think Glenn and his family would be proud to see his musical legacy continue, in what ever form. It was from him, part of him, for eternity. I understand and can't disagree.

    The creations by: Frey/Henley/Meisner/Leadon/Felder/Walsh/Schmitt/Browne/Souther/Waits/Young,are my all time favorites, without equal. Thanks for the words and music.

    Historically they've toured with several various supporting artists to assist them in delivering their sound live. They were all great. Only the best. Each time, a fantastic experience.

    I feel privileged to have witnessed their gifts. The times of my life.

    Jackson Browne sings: "Let the Music Keep Our Spirits High".

    As far as the 2018 tour, not going. But that's just me.

  5. #45
    Administrator sodascouts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Where Faulkner collides with Elvis
    Posts
    33,064

    Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    If you think the loss of the founding member and band leader doesn't take away any remaining authenticity, then there is no point trying to convince you otherwise. Your view & those who agree with you is that this is just another lineup change & is no big deal. As is stated above, why not go & see Henley, Walsh & Schmit sing their Eagles songs. What does it matter who sings the 'other' songs.

    That's what is being said, regardless of how many times people say they 'miss' Glenn. They are saying he didn't matter. They are saying he was replaceable.

    He wasn't & he isn't.
    This.

    Oh, I'm not saying people who go and see the "Eagles" now don't really miss Glenn on an emotional level. I know many people who are going to see the "Eagles" now who are heartbroken over Glenn's death.

    However, on a musical level, they do not believe his absence matters enough to call the band to a halt. Another voice will do.

    So I guess it does come down to those who see it as just another line-up change, and those who see it as an irreparable hole.

    Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

  6. #46
    Administrator sodascouts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Where Faulkner collides with Elvis
    Posts
    33,064

    Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    If this was meant to be a positive thread, why wasnít the comment posted on the thread that already exists (the 2018 North American tour which touched on the subject of the #of shows)?

    The OP can clarify but it appears the topic was meant to renew debate about the new line-upís tour.
    Indeed. There is already a thread designated for people who want to talk about their excitement regarding the upcoming tour here, as well as individual show threads if anyone wishes to create them.

    I ask people to keep negativity out of positive threads and to keep threads on-topic, but if someone invites debate, then people of both opinions are free to participate in that debate.

    The only thing I worry about is redundancy with Eagles 3.0 but this does seem to be more focused towards the current tour, so I'll leave it unmerged.

    Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

  7. #47
    Border Rebel travlnman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    785

    Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    This.

    Oh, I'm not saying people who go and see the "Eagles" now don't really miss Glenn on an emotional level. I know many people who are going to see the "Eagles" now who are heartbroken over Glenn's death.

    However, on a musical level, they do not believe his absence matters enough to call the band to a halt. Another voice will do.

    So I guess it does come down to those who see it as just another line-up change, and those who see it as an irreparable hole.

    Or it could be there way of greiveing because the Eagles jave been there lives for 40+ years.

    Its a big shock pschylogical. If you are doing something that you know amd loce for 40 years and you just stop the band. Itís not going to go well. Thats why so many people who retire find part time jobs because they can not envison a life without work. It can cause Depression and various other symptoms.


    I did my Final paper on this. So it might also be a psychomogixal factor as well.


    Lets say you are a doctor for over 40 years. You deicde to retire. Forst few says after you stop working the shock of not being a doctor comes and people often go depressed and other stuff thats why so many bands decided to continue. Its more of keeping themselves from going crazy because to just stop the band will make you go crazy because you are no longer an Eaglez.


    That is just what I have resarched and my opinin

  8. #48
    Stuck on the Border
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    24,191

    Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year!!

    Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    Or it could be there way of greiveing because the Eagles jave been there lives for 40+ years.

    Its a big shock pschylogical. If you are doing something that you know amd loce for 40 years and you just stop the band. Itís not going to go well. Thats why so many people who retire find part time jobs because they can not envison a life without work. It can cause Depression and various other symptoms.


    I did my Final paper on this. So it might also be a psychomogixal factor as well.


    Lets say you are a doctor for over 40 years. You deicde to retire. Forst few says after you stop working the shock of not being a doctor comes and people often go depressed and other stuff thats why so many bands decided to continue. Its more of keeping themselves from going crazy because to just stop the band will make you go crazy because you are no longer an Eaglez.


    That is just what I have resarched and my opinin
    Soda was talking about the people who are going to see this version of the 'Eagles' in response to what I had said about how people want to see Henley, Walsh & Schmit & it doesn't matter about who sings the other songs. She was not talking about the musicians.

    Perhaps it should be remembered that the Eagles did split up for 14 years. So it is hardly as if they have never been apart before.

    I don't get this 'keep themselves from going crazy' stuff. These men are now 70. They have their solo careers. They have their families. I would have much preferred acceptance, rather than denial. As a fan, I accepted the band was over & I don't see why they didn't. I see only one reason why they didn't.

    As for the 'psychological shock' they got over the shock of losing Glenn quickly enough, or so it seems. We were told so much about their 'shock' and how it justifierd their subsequent actions.

    I feel that had to be addressed, but I take Soda's point about keeping negativity out of this.

  9. #49
    Stuck on the Border Delilah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Long road south out of Cass County
    Posts
    3,281

    Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post

    And Delilah Ė Your post is very thoughtful
    Thank you, Dreamer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I maintain that there is no evidence AT ALL that Glenn wanted the band to continue, or left any sort of statement. He was modest to a fault & downplayed his contributions to an absurd degree. That doesn't necessarily means he thought they should have continued. He had some pride. He knew they would be an empty shell without his contributions.
    While there may not be direct evidence, I maintain there is plenty of circumstantial evidence that Glenn wanted the band to continue, or at the least, didnít care:

    His widow, who knew him best of anyone on the planet, gave the go-ahead;
    His children are directly involved in the tour;
    Friends and family showed up at the Detroit concert in a great show of support;
    One of his closest and most devoted friends, Bob Seger, who dedicated his last album to Glenn & wrote a song in his memory, said it was great the band was continuing on;
    His own band mates, who worked with Glenn for decades and mourned him at what was reported to be a touching and moving private memorial, decided to go on.

    If his closest friends and family members felt Glenn would be opposed to this, not even the threat of Azoffís wrath would keep at least one of them from speaking out.

    I realize Glennís wishes regarding this matter do not affect your opinion about the current Eagles. But I donít believe these circumstances should be ignored.

    Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I would have much preferred acceptance, rather than denial. As a fan, I accepted the band was over & I don't see why they didn't. I see only one reason why they didn't.

    I feel that had to be addressed, but I take Soda's point about keeping negativity out of this.
    They didnít ďacceptĒ it b/c itís not over. The main point of the thread is that the tour now has 52 booked dates. That doesnít sound like a band that is done. If they were over, no one would be buying tickets, watching their YT videos nor would the band be getting rave reviews from the critics.

    Thinking of you and hoping for the best. Stay strong Randy!

  10. #50
    Stuck on the Border
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,748

    Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    This.

    Oh, I'm not saying people who go and see the "Eagles" now don't really miss Glenn on an emotional level. I know many people who are going to see the "Eagles" now who are heartbroken over Glenn's death.

    However, on a musical level, they do not believe his absence matters enough to call the band to a halt. Another voice will do.

    So I guess it does come down to those who see it as just another line-up change, and those who see it as an irreparable hole.
    If the ticket prices were reasonable and they happened to play where I live (two things that will never happen) there's a possibility I would go. But I wouldn't feel that Glenn was replaced in the band. I wouldn't be thinking I'm seeing the Eagles. It would be Don, Timothy and Joe plus some other people for me. I've never seen any of the guys solo, so it's possible I'd go see them as Don, Tim and Joe.

    I could also imagine going to see The Orchestra ("former members of this and that") fully aware that their desperate attempts to be associated with the original ELO are silly. Not that I'm comparing the bands. Eagles does have one original member and two members that have been in the band for a long time. I'm just saying that one can go see a concert not feeling they're seeing the "real thing". I'm not sure I'm making any sense. In one sentence: It IS possible that I'd go see a band even when I don't feel it's the band they're calling themselves. (Although it would feel awkward if people around me would be going "Yeah, the Eagles, man!". And I'm not saying I WOULD go - just that I can't rule that out.)
    Last edited by chaim; 02-26-2018 at 12:15 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •