Page 58 of 92 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. I think most of us have already answered this, but for starters, what about a dedication to him to acknowledge his enormous contributions - maybe a short tribute video and then dedicate a song to him with some spoken words from Don, Tim, and Joe - Is that really too much too ask? I'm sorry, but his son saying a few words and then putting a picture of him on screen for a few seconds takes no effort at all from his fellow bandmates. It comes across to some of us as disrespectful and sells Glenn waaayyyy short of the recognition he deserves. And, of course, ultimately, what about a tribute concert in his honor? To me, this is the kind of decent respect that should be done automatically - not something fans should have to beg for or suggest.
    The dedication to Glenn sounds like a good idea, except that with 50+ shows on this tour, I can see how it may become rote for the band members as well as the backing musicians. After all, each of them remembered Glenn in the solo shows, as well as the concerts last year. This is a personal loss for them, and after awhile it may be too much for poor Deacon to repeatedly hear the same things about Glenn night after night. They have also grieved and mourned and remembered Glenn in ways none of us will ever know, in addition to the public ways they have paid tribute. At some point the fans may need to step back and let them move on; this is NOT to say forget all about Glenn. What they are doing now with showing his picture is highly appropriate IMO. I hope they continue doing that.

I know a public tribute concert is something Glenn’s fans want, but we don’t know if that’s what Glenn wanted. Should his family and friends go against his wishes and do one anyway? Maybe his widow is satisfied with what was said to be an emotional moving private memorial. She has her mind on other things right now that probably take priority, and I’m not aware of many grand-scale tributes taking place without the blessing and support of the surviving spouse.

That’s not to say it will never happen. It’s still possible, I say.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    And sorry, ltef, but, we are entitled to an opposition opinion - we don't have to defer to others regardless of their relationship to Glenn.
    I agree you are entitled to an opposition opinion. My point is that I believe, that due to their close relationship with Glenn, they know better than any fan what is respectful/appropriate/what he would approve/not approve. I think by any of us saying what should or shouldn't be done and looking down on what is happening is not being respectful of the remaining Eagles and Glenn's family by basically saying, "We know better than you!"

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    The dedication to Glenn sounds like a good idea, except that with 50+ shows on this tour, I can see how it may become rote for the band members as well as the backing musicians. After all, each of them remembered Glenn in the solo shows, as well as the concerts last year. This is a personal loss for them, and after awhile it may be too much for poor Deacon to repeatedly hear the same things about Glenn night after night. They have also grieved and mourned and remembered Glenn in ways none of us will ever know, in addition to the public ways they have paid tribute. At some point the fans may need to step back and let them move on; this is NOT to say forget all about Glenn. What they are doing now with showing his picture is highly appropriate IMO. I hope they continue doing that.

I know a public tribute concert is something Glenn’s fans want, but we don’t know if that’s what Glenn wanted. Should his family and friends go against his wishes and do one anyway? Maybe his widow is satisfied with what was said to be an emotional moving private memorial. She has her mind on other things right now that probably take priority, and I’m not aware of many grand-scale tributes taking place without the blessing and support of the surviving spouse.

That’s not to say it will never happen. It’s still possible, I say.
    Agree with everything you have said.

The question of "what Glenn would have wanted" is unknowable. Everyone always thinks Glenn would have wanted what THEY want.

In the end, the real question is... can you just stick two other guys* in the place of Glenn and still call it the Eagles?

In my opinion, the answer will always be NO.

*but.... one of them is Glenn's son! Isn't that just so emotionally moving?! Sure it is, but this isn't about what's "emotionally moving." The Eagles are a band. This is about the music... or at least, it should be.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeeaglesfan View Post
    I agree you are entitled to an opposition opinion. My point is that I believe, that due to their close relationship with Glenn, they know better than any fan what is respectful/appropriate/what he would approve/not approve. I think by any of us saying what should or shouldn't be done and looking down on what is happening is not being respectful of the remaining Eagles and Glenn's family by basically saying, "We know better than you!"
    If that's how you take it, that's fine. It doesn't bother me because that's not how I see it. If I feel something is wrong, I'm going to stand up and say it. Maybe we do know better than them...maybe we shouldn't care about that part of it. I don't worry about upsetting them. They've upset me. So I guess we're both upset.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    The question of "what Glenn would have wanted" is unknowable. Everyone always thinks Glenn would have wanted what THEY want.

In the end, the real question is... can you just stick two other guys* in the place of Glenn and still call it the Eagles?

In my opinion, the answer will always be NO.

*but.... one of them is Glenn's son! Isn't that just so emotionally moving?! Sure it is, but this isn't about what's "emotionally moving." The Eagles are a band. This is about the music... or at least, it should be.
    This. This is exactly it. We will never know.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I find this scenario very doubtful. "Honey, if anyone wants to hold a tribute concert for me after I die, don't let them!" Same for Cindy. "I'm sorry, Irving, I know you'd like to arrange a tribute concert for Glenn celebrating his life and raising millions for charity, but I have a lot on my mind and other priorities. I forbid it."

Plus, the "invite-only" one was held in the freaking Forum and was discussed in the press. If Glenn didn't want any "events" after his death, they already blew it on that score.

Putting together a tribute takes a lot of time, effort, and money. It's something that Cindy couldn't do easily by herself. It's something Irving Azoff and Don could put together in a few months, maybe less. They've chosen not to.

By far, the most likely explanation is that they simply haven't bothered. The private one was "good enough" - duty done, moving on.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm1968 View Post
    I suppose you mean me, since I mentioned that I loved Vince's version of the song in the concert thread. How passive-aggressive of you! I don't remember ever criticizing Glenn Frey for singing that song but since you mention it, Vince Gill does have the ability to sing really high and Glenn Frey did not. I loved him and his songs, but a high tenor he was not.
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I really liked Glenns version of Take It To The Limit but I think Vince is singing it in a way that has been done in 40 years. It’s exciting for those who want to see a Randy like version but never will
    I agree with Redstorm and YEF about Vince’s performance of TITTL (I’m guessing YEF meant “hasn’t been done” ). I’ve been really impressed so far but I’ve been hesitant to say anything much about it b/c I didn’t want to pour salt in the wounds of those who are upset, even in the concert threads. But since it’s been brought up...

The song may not mean much to some people but for me and many others it is quite special. So to hear it being sung in a similar way to the original has meant a lot to those of us who miss Randy.

This is not taking anything away from Glenn’s performance. He did it his own way and made light-hearted jokes about it and put his own spin on it. I love Glenn’s voice and consider it unique but he did sing it in a lower key, which is fine. I’ll always be grateful to Glenn for bringing the song back to the setlist (I assume it was his idea) and having that reminder of Randy at the concerts.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

That is another point I didn’t think about. I assume Glenn was the one who wanted to bring it back. Thank goodness they did. That song means too much for it to be left in the history books .

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    This. This is exactly it. We will never know.
    No - but it is my strong opinion that his family and fellow Eagles are in a whole lot better position to make that assessment than we, as fans, are.

I don't agree that everyone thinks that Glenn would want what THEY want. I personally could not say with any certainty what Glenn would have wanted.

This is a theoretical question: If Glenn had have written down on paper somewhere or said something in an interview to the likes of, "if anything should ever happen to me I want the guys to carry on as Eagles and continue to bring the music to our fans.", would you be okay with the remaining members calling the group Eagles?