Page 59 of 92 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeeaglesfan View Post
    No - but it is my strong opinion that his family and fellow Eagles are in a whole lot better position to make that assessment than we, as fans, are.

I don't agree that everyone thinks that Glenn would want what THEY want. I personally could not say with any certainty what Glenn would have wanted.

This is a theoretical question: If Glenn had have written down on paper somewhere or said something in an interview to the likes of, "if anything should ever happen to me I want the guys to carry on as Eagles and continue to bring the music to our fans.", would you be okay with the remaining members calling the group Eagles?
    And it is my strong opinion that they are not.

And I have to agree with Soda that I think a lot of people align their views with what they think Glenn would have wanted. And definitely in reverse also.

As far as your last part, I'll think about it and post later. I think I'd feel better about it.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Vince Gill sings TITTL in a lower key as well (A), although not as low as Glenn (G). The original is in B.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeeaglesfan View Post
    This is a theoretical question: If Glenn had have written down on paper somewhere or said something in an interview to the likes of, "if anything should ever happen to me I want the guys to carry on as Eagles and continue to bring the music to our fans.", would you be okay with the remaining members calling the group Eagles?
    I wouldn't consider it a betrayal if Glenn had explicitly stated he wanted them to do it, so I wouldn't be disappointed in them if they had continued; I wouldn't have questioned their integrity.

But I still would've thought it was bogus musically.

I would have thought Glenn's last wishes were misguided, but I would not condemn them for following those wishes. That doesn't mean I would go to any of their shows. In my heart, I still wouldn't consider it the Eagles.

Here's another theoretical: Would you be OK with the Eagles continuing after Don Henley dies?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I find this scenario very doubtful. "Honey, if anyone wants to hold a tribute concert for me after I die, don't let them!" Same for Cindy. "I'm sorry, Irving, I know you'd like to arrange a tribute concert for Glenn celebrating his life and raising millions for charity, but I have a lot on my mind right now."

Plus, the "invite-only" one was held in the freaking Forum and was discussed in the press. If Glenn didn't want any "events" after his death, they already blew it on that score.

Putting together a tribute takes a lot of time, effort, and money. It's something that Cindy couldn't do by herself. It's something Irving Azoff and Don could put together in a few months, maybe less. They've chosen not to.

By far, the most likely explanation is that they simply haven't bothered. The private one was "good enough" - duty done, moving on.
    Soda, I understand these guys have upset you greatly, but I don’t agree “they simply haven’t bothered” is the main reason for the lack of a tribute. There are so many factors to consider when dealing with something like this, and we don’t know half of them probably, and it seems unfair to make it sound as if they don’t care.

Why is everything up to Don Henley? Even Irving Azoff has already invested so much time and effort with the private memorial, plus he’s 2nd in line to being executor of Glenn’s will and doing who knows what behind the scenes. From reading the “Remembering Glenn Frey” thread, Glenn had other friends and colleagues he seemed much closer to than his fellow band members—Bob Seger, Jack Tempchin, Mr. Sullivan (sorry his first name slips my mind), etc. They too could also try to arrange something. I thought Don Was had a close relationship to Glenn as well and he has experience as musical director of Merle Haggard’s tribute concert.

Maybe Cindy and Irving don’t realize there is a demand for a tribute concert. It may be up to fans to let them know.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

Here's another theoretical: Would you be OK with the Eagles continuing after Don Henley dies?
    I don't think it would happen but I would be okay with it. It would be a watered down version for sure - but I would go hear them play if only for the chance to hear Joe's and Timothy's songs.

I wouldn't consider it a betrayal if Glenn had explicitly stated he wanted them to do it, so I wouldn't be disappointed in them if they had continued; I wouldn't have questioned their integrity.

But I would've still thought it was bogus musically.

I would have thought Glenn's last wishes were misguided, but I would not condemn them for following those wishes. That doesn't mean I would go to any of their shows. In my heart, I still wouldn't consider it the Eagles.

The biggest difference would be that in such a case, I probably would be quiet on the board about my opinion.

I’m glad to hear that. I think this is a very logically sound argument. I don’t think anyone can take issue with that opinion. I don’t think the Eagles should go on without Don and I would take issue with it. Not because I think Don is more important than Glenn but say if Don has passed and Glenn decided to keep going on, I would have no issue with it. I think that with at least one of the Don/Glenn duo, the band can tour. Without both there is just no point. I do think there is a very distinct difference between Don and Glenn both being gone vs just one being gone. Now if Will could sing and replace his dad to the same level of Deacon I wouldn’t mind it as long as it was branded as a sort of “new Eagles” tour.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

But then it would be a very strange band in having NONE of the founding members playing in it....
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    But then it would be a very strange band in having NONE of the founding members playing in it....
    I assuming this in response to me, so I’ll respond. It would be very weird. I only think it would be fine as long as their open and forthright this isn’t the legitimate Eagles. If Deacon and Will could write and sing together that’d be great. But only if they are honest

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Why is everything up to Don Henley? Even Irving Azoff has already invested so much time and effort with the private memorial, plus he’s 2nd in line to being executor of Glenn’s will and doing who knows what behind the scenes. From reading the “Remembering Glenn Frey” thread, Glenn had other friends and colleagues he seemed much closer to than his fellow band members—Bob Seger, Jack Tempchin, Mr. Sullivan (sorry his first name slips my mind), etc. They too could also try to arrange something. I thought Don Was had a close relationship to Glenn as well and he has experience as musical director of Merle Haggard’s tribute concert.
    You're right that someone else could do it. It just seems strange that Irving Azoff, who is one of the most powerful men in the music industry and for whom it would be quite easy to put together something like this, does not do so.

Yes, Don Henley said he was "estranged" from Glenn on a personal level, but their professional association helped define him. Is it unfair to expect him to do more for Glenn based on what he owes him professionally? Is it unfair to expect him to do more if he did not really feel like he was Glenn's friend? Perhaps. I had never thought of it that way.

I think Bob Seger might be able to do something small-scale but again, these take money as well as time and effort. I think a lot of people expected what we did - that Azoff and Henley would come through - and they didn't want to step on anyone's toes by doing their own tribute. Now it's two years later, though. It's an interesting idea. Anyone know Bob Seger's number? lol Seriously though... I wonder if someone put a bug in his ear about it... it wouldn't have to be a massive thing...

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I hope I won't get talked about for what I say.

To tell the truth. No and I think Joe, Timothy and Irving would be very stupid in trying to go on with Don and Glenn both gone. It won't work and I think IMO Joe and Timothy would definitely won't go along with it. IMO I don't think either Cindy and maybe Sharon (if she also takes control of Don's part if he died) won't agree for them to go on. I'm sorry to say. Deacon can't save this with Don gone also.

Like I said many times. If Don had died and Glenn decided to continue. Yes I would be ok with that and I would still go. I would definitely miss Don just like I will miss Glenn when I see them in June.

I'm all for original members (that's important to the band) still be in the band. Some bands have continue with some of their original members still there or their popular person is gone(meaning they died or left the group). Some worked and some didn't. I won't go into naming those bands.

For me. Its not because I'm a Don fan. I'm an Eagles fan first and then individual, but I also know the group can not survive without any of the original members not there and I hope Irving is not that dumb to not see that. IMO I don't think Joe or Timothy have enough fans to fill a very big arena without the original members. Maybe they do, but not continuing as the Eagles. And I also think (and I could be wrong) neither Joe nor Timothy have ownership of the name "Eagles" like Glenn and Don has. They might have a share in the group, but probably not ownership.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 03-31-2018 at 07:34 PM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley