Page 60 of 92 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    The dedication to Glenn sounds like a good idea, except that with 50+ shows on this tour, I can see how it may become rote for the band members as well as the backing musicians. After all, each of them remembered Glenn in the solo shows, as well as the concerts last year. This is a personal loss for them, and after awhile it may be too much for poor Deacon to repeatedly hear the same things about Glenn night after night. They have also grieved and mourned and remembered Glenn in ways none of us will ever know, in addition to the public ways they have paid tribute. At some point the fans may need to step back and let them move on; this is NOT to say forget all about Glenn. What they are doing now with showing his picture is highly appropriate IMO. I hope they continue doing that.

I know a public tribute concert is something Glenn’s fans want, but we don’t know if that’s what Glenn wanted. Should his family and friends go against his wishes and do one anyway? Maybe his widow is satisfied with what was said to be an emotional moving private memorial. She has her mind on other things right now that probably take priority, and I’m not aware of many grand-scale tributes taking place without the blessing and support of the surviving spouse.

That’s not to say it will never happen. It’s still possible, I say.
    Well, Delilah - We, obviously, don't agree that at some point the fans need to step back and let the band move on or that flashing a picture up of Glenn for a few seconds is a sufficient tribute to him. I can agree that we don't know how the band may have mourned, but the way the are doing things now is perceived by many as being very insensitive. In any event, my post was responding to ltef's comment about what more the band could do. This is a band that does basically the same show every night on a tour - just about all of it is scripted and it has been that way for many years. So, I don't get at all how my suggestions would become too rote for them. I didn't suggest a lengthy presentation - I wouldn't think it be too difficult to prepare a brief 2 -3 minute video to recognize Glenn's contribution to the band and a couple of minutes for Don, Joe, and Tim to jointly dedicate a song to him. Surely, they can take 5 minutes or so to acknowledge their founding member. Or not. But, if flashing Glenn's picture up for a few seconds elicits a huge response from the audience, then just imagine the response if they did what I'm suggesting. Just sayin'

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I wouldn't consider it a betrayal if Glenn had explicitly stated he wanted them to do it, so I wouldn't be disappointed in them if they had continued; I wouldn't have questioned their integrity.

But I would've still thought it was bogus musically.

I would have thought Glenn's last wishes were misguided, but I would not condemn them for following those wishes. That doesn't mean I would go to any of their shows. In my heart, I still wouldn't consider it the Eagles.

Here's another theoretical: Would you be OK with the Eagles continuing after Don Henley dies?
    ^^ This. But only as a theoretical.

Although I have to add, I'm really not into theoreticals or hypotheticals. And I'll just add that we have zero evidence in real life that Glenn would have been onboard. All we have are a few comments from Don that he thinks Glenn would approve. I maintain that if any of the band members knew that, then they would have never made any of their comments about not continuing the band without him. They would just come out and say that these were his wishes.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I feel as though they didn’t think about how Glenn felt about it until they actually considered touring again. Once it happened they spent some time and thought about it and made their decision

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    And I'll just add that we have zero evidence in real life that Glenn would have been onboard. All we have are a few comments from Don that he thinks Glenn would approve. I maintain that if any of the band members knew that, then they would have never made any of their comments about not continuing the band without him. They would just come out and say that these were his wishes.
    Yeah, I agree. It's a no-brainer that if they knew that Glenn had wanted them to continue as the Eagles, they would have said so by now.

For example, one time Don would have certainly brought it up: "I know I said I didn't want to continue the Eagles without Glenn, but then I remembered how Glenn had told me that he'd always wanted us to continue after he died. I couldn't go against his wishes. I had to continue the band."

Instead we got: "I was in shock... a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." blahblahblah

So, yeah. Safe bet Glenn never said anything.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Yeah, I agree. It's a no-brainer that if they knew that Glenn had wanted them to continue as the Eagles, they would have said so by now.

For example, one time Don would have certainly brought it up: "I know I said I didn't want to continue the Eagles without Glenn, but then I remembered how Glenn had told me that he'd always wanted us to continue after he died. I couldn't go against his wishes. I had to continue the band."

Instead we got: "I was in shock... a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." blahblahblah

So, yeah. Safe bet Glenn never said anything.
    Agreed. There’s no way Glenn said anything

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm1968 View Post
    I suppose you mean me, since I mentioned that I loved Vince's version of the song in the concert thread. How passive-aggressive of you! I don't remember ever criticizing Glenn Frey for singing that song but since you mention it, Vince Gill does have the ability to sing really high and Glenn Frey did not. I loved him and his songs, but a high tenor he was not.

I was not referring to you specifically with that comment. I was referring to a whole series of comments from many people over the years who never accepted Glenn's version of TITTL, and now all of a sudden somebody comes along who can 'sing high' and it's acceptable to them.

What I said for years was that Glenn did not try to replicate Randy's version of the song because he WAS NOT RANDY. He sang it the way he wanted to sing it. I have no idea why people wanted it to sound like Randy.

When somebody made the statement 'Vince, make it your own' that broke my heart. They are allowing him the latitude they never, ever, allowed the man who co-wrote the damn song.

Border Rebel

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I was not referring to you specifically with that comment. I was referring to a whole series of comments from many people over the years who never accepted Glenn's version of TITTL, and now all of a sudden somebody comes along who can 'sing high' and it's acceptable to them.

What I said for years was that Glenn did not try to replicate Randy's version of the song because he WAS NOT RANDY. He sang it the way he wanted to sing it. I have no idea why people wanted it to sound like Randy.

When somebody made the statement 'Vince, make it your own' that broke my heart. They are allowing him the latitude they never, ever, allowed the man who co-wrote the damn song.
    Personally, I was never crazy about Glenn's version of the song. It's not that I expected him to be Randy or Randy-like; I just didn't think his voice was well-suited to the song. His was not a bad version, but not the best, IMHO.

As far as liking Vince's version, I don't think it's just because he sings high, although I do think his range is better for the song. But also, Vince has a really nice voice and I, personally, think his voice is better-suited to the song than Glenn's was. Just my 2 cents!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    Personally, I was never crazy about Glenn's version of the song. It's not that I expected him to be Randy or Randy-like; I just didn't think his voice was well-suited to the song. His was not a bad version, but not the best, IMHO.

As far as liking Vince's version, I don't think it's just because he sings high, although I do think his range is better for the song. But also, Vince has a really nice voice and I, personally, think his voice is better-suited to the song than Glenn's was. Just my 2 cents!

Well, thank you so much for that.

At least Delilah talked in her post about rubbing salt into the wounds when discussing this particular point.

I am just waiting for you all now to start telling us how Gill's voice is also 'better suited' to Glenn's own songs. It can't be long before you do.

Ok. I know PF is posting what I said because I did say that. For your information, FP. I do NOT like TITTL. Never did. I hate the song. Even if its Randy, Glenn or Vince singing it. I do not like the song. That will never change.

IMO Vince is not making the song his own. He's trying to sound like the original. I said the same thing with New Kid In Town which is my favorite song. Glenn did do a great job with the song, but like I said I do not like the song and its nothing against whoever sings it. They can drop the song for all I care just like I won't miss In The City if they dropped it because I hate that song right now.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    Ok. I know PF is posting what I said because I did say that. For your information, FP. I do NOT like TITTL. Never did. I hate the song. Even if its Randy, Glenn or Vince singing it. I do not like the song. That will never change.

IMO Vince is not making the song his own. He's trying to sound like the original. I said the same thing with New Kid In Town which is my favorite song. Glenn did do a great job with the song, but like I said I do not like the song and its nothing against whoever sings it. They can drop the song if I care just like I won't miss In The City because I hate that song right now too.

But you said

He's slowly starting to make it his own. Make it your own, Vince.

You may claim you hate the song, but you're encouraging Gill to 'make it his own'. Whether you hate it or not is irrelevant to the comment you made.

Can't you understand how that jars with people like me?