Page 62 of 92 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Border Desperado

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

My opinion is that even if Don, Joe, Timothy or Irving or relatives or good friends would have said "Glenn wanted the band to continue" then the comments would have been "They're just saying that to not alienate fans because they won't make as much money" or " Show us some proof like a document or a recording from Glenn" I wonder how much private information the fans would have expected to be presented before they would be satisfied? Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

I think I read somewhere that Timothy requested not to sing "Take It To The Limit" out of respect for Randy.

Border Rebel

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Well, thank you so much for that.

At least Delilah talked in her post about rubbing salt into the wounds when discussing this particular point.

I am just waiting for you all now to start telling us how Gill's voice is also 'better suited' to Glenn's own songs. It can't be long before you do.
    I'm sorry you took my post the way you did. I love Glenn's voice and he sings lead on some of my favorite Eagles songs. I don't think that Vince does a better job on Glenn's songs than Glenn did. ABSOLUTELY NOT. But I do like Vince's version of TITTL better than Glenn's, and yes, I think VG's voice is better suited to the song. Is that so terrible? Neither of them is the original singer of the song.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

I definitely prefer the way Glenn does it. I find it sounds great in the low register and as FP said, he was the co-writer so I feel he had every bit of a right to sing it and people should have accepted that as much as they do Vince. I find Vince's version to be not up to par compared to Glenn's version or Randy's original IME.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I definitely prefer the way Glenn does it. I find it sounds great in the low register and as FP said, he was the co-writer so I feel he had every bit of a right to sing it and people should have accepted that as much as they do Vince. I find Vince's version to be not up to par compared to Glenn's version or Randy's original IME.
    And that's fine. You have your opinion, and I have mine. I'm not questioning Glenn's right to sing it, I'm just saying that in the case of this particular song, I prefer Vince's version. With all due respect to Glenn, I was never fond of his version, and I'm not going to pretend I was because he has passed on. I love many of his songs, but this isn't one of them.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    And that's fine. You have your opinion, and I have mine. I'm not questioning Glenn's right to sing it, I'm just saying that in the case of this particular song, I prefer Vince's version. With all due respect to Glenn, I was never fond of his version, and I'm not going to pretend I was because he has passed on. I loved many of his songs, but this wasn't one of them.
    Thats fine. I just feel that Glenn's voice was better than Vince's in general actually.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Yeah, I agree. It's a no-brainer that if they knew that Glenn had wanted them to continue as the Eagles, they would have said so by now.

For example, one time Don would have certainly brought it up: "I know I said I didn't want to continue the Eagles without Glenn, but then I remembered how Glenn had told me that he'd always wanted us to continue after he died. I couldn't go against his wishes. I had to continue the band."

Instead we got: "I was in shock... a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." blahblahblah

So, yeah. Safe bet Glenn never said anything.
    Yes, I firmly believe this to be the case. Glenn never said anything.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

The absurd idea that Don Henley would somehow be responsible or even have anything to do with planning and executing some sort of memorial event for Glenn Frey is laughable - if anyone understands this, it should be fans and students of the Eagles. I'm assuming he would take part, if asked, but to make him the one, along with Irving, responsible?? Please.

I just can't believe the entitlement of fans who are angry that there hasn't been a public memorial for Glenn, and using this fact, over and over, year after year, to justify their disapproval of the Eagles' activities. You are angry because Cindy has not held something for YOU. YOU think that the Frey family OWES it to YOU. It's not enough for you to listen to his music or watch videos or interviews, you demand a public memorial service or you are not square with Cindy.

If Cindy requested something more be done to honor Glenn, a big concert, it would be done in a second. The fact that you feel free to criticize her and her handling of Glenn's passing and that she hasn't done something for the fans just blows me away. Shame on you.

And oh yeah, like the guys are going to stop a show and do some five minute tribute to Glenn every night on tour more than two years after he has died. This isn't how normal people behave in the workplace. Would you have them do this 3 years after, 4 years after, 5 years after? YOU know he founded the band and wrote and sang the songs. Why do you need public validation, night after night, from the guys? They know it, everyone knows it! And if certain fans at a show don't know it, then who cares, they're there to enjoy the music. Do you really think he has been forgotten by his bandmates and family members ???? This is crazy talk.
    Last edited by MaryCalifornia; 04-01-2018 at 02:26 AM.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

The Freys may have legitimate reasons for not wanting anything public. Cindy and her children may resent Glenn's fans - the constant letters and requests, women showing up in hotels, backstage, etc... He may have had stalkers over the years. Especially in this day of the internet, with people knowing where he lives and which of his houses are up for sale, and where the band is every night, his kids' social media posts showing which vacation house they're visiting. Maybe they're happy to be done with fans.

So, you say, why on earth would they then put Deacon on stage with the Eagles? I don't know - he's his own adult and he wants to do it. He's not married to Cindy and doesn't live with her and the other kids. And, it's highly unlikely that he will ever be as famous as Glenn. But, I'll bet he's getting a little taste of both the good and the bad with fans, and needs security like his dad did.

And yes, I know George Harrison's wife spearheaded a memorial for fans. She obviously wanted to and it was important to her. Why would we compare Cindy to her? I can easily see how someone married to someone famous (athlete, actor, royalty) wants nothing to do with fans and is in fact annoyed by and scared of them.

ETA: Please note that when I wrote "women showing up in hotels" I was not referring to Soda and her wonderful time spent with Glenn at his invitation, which was epic. I'm talking about random non-invited fans hoping to catch him, which I'm sure happened all the time and with different degrees of stalky-ness.

Stuck on the Border

And, again, only the supporters of the current band are the ones who are being attacked for how they feel?

EDIT:

As for the stalker thing, all kinds of bizarre theories can be made up to suggest that the people who would like a bigger tribute are being ridiculous. Maybe, just maybe one of the band members or family is strongly allergic to tribute shows. Also, if we believe what many people say - that whatever they're doing and not doing was most likely Glenn's wish - I find it very hard to believe that being "done with fans" is something Glenn would have endorsed.
    Last edited by chaim; 04-01-2018 at 07:59 AM.

Stuck on the Border

MaryCalifornia, I often find myself agreeing with what you write but in this case, I strongly disagree. Wanting a public tribute for Glenn has nothing in common with stalkers and other people who cross the privacy line.

As a fan, I'm not really bothered about whether it is driven - or not - by Azoff, Glenn's widow or Glenn's bandmate's or friends. I just feel that he should receive more public recognition of his work and his influence on others and that fans should have the opportunity to show their support. As I haven't been to any of the (post-Glenn) shows, I'm not in a good position to judge whether the tribute to Glenn is adequate. On paper, it doesn't seem so but in the moment, maybe it works.

So far, nothing contentious, I hope, but I'm moving onto conjecture and speculation which is something that happens when there is a lack of communication. So I wonder why there has been no tribute? Did "they" decide there was insufficient demand and that it would lose money? Are the current band finding that everything is smoother and more enjoyable without having to deal with Glenn's moods and need for control? Do they feel Glenn has already received more than his due? I'll never know unless someone decides to speak out.