Page 67 of 92 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Border Desperado

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

You're 100% correct, Chaim. This isn't about me. None of the posts are. That is why I said I didn't take them personally.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by WKMB55 View Post
    You're 100% correct, Chaim. This isn't about me. None of the posts are. That is why I said I didn't take them personally.
    Ok. Maybe I misunderstood you. You said "Unless a comment is addressed to me specifically, I don't take anyone elses thoughts or opinions as a personal attack." Was it a general comment? Here's how I understood it: There was no need to get upset by MC's comments since she wasn't calling anyone by (screen)name or quoting anyone directly. Perhaps you weren't referring to the recent "case" at all?

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

Having read through the various threads I think the "against it" side does come across as being more forceful/outspoken than the "for it" side but I think that is just the nature of taking that position. Had the band ended touring after Glenn died, I don't believe there would be an "against it (quitting)" group of people that would say they should have kept touring as the Eagles.

The current "for it" side seems not to feel so strongly that they should have continued but rather that it was okay that they did continue. It seems the different sides are "Let them do what they believe is appropriate" vs "They should have done what we think is appropriate", and the latter seems to come across more harshly because they are critical/angry over what was actually done.
    Last edited by longtimeeaglesfan; 04-02-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Redstorm complained about her treatment... maybe she should check out MaryCalifornia's technique to see what trying to making people feel sh***y really looks like.
    More untruth. I actually was speaking on the treatment of those who still support the band, specifically the way some attack other posters and make snide remarks at will and you continually sanction their behavior.

MaryC is right in a lot of the things that she says. Glenn has already had a memorial/tribute. You weren't invited, and it clearly wasn't exactly the tribute that you wanted, but he still had one that his family, friends, and work associates coordinated, participated in, performed for, and attended. He is acknowledged at every concert. The Eagles continue to talk about him in their interviews. Fans still listen to his music and talk about him and they will for a very long time to come. If that is not good enough, I don't know what to say. He's gone, Soda. And even if the whole world, including his family and the band, stops to mourns just the way you would like for them to, he will still be gone. Continuing this behavior is detrimental, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm1968 View Post
    More untruth. I actually was speaking on the treatment of those who still support the band, specifically the way some attack other posters and make snide remarks at will and you continually sanction their behavior.
    Actually, since you are a part of that group, when you complain about their treatment, you are also complaining about your own treatment. Therefore, my statement is not an untruth.

I've noticed that often, you condemn people for things they didn't actually say/do. This is one example. Whether you simply don't read all the posts carefully, misremember them, or willfully misrepresent them, I don't know.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'll start by saying I appreciate MC’s apology and am willing to accept it. I'm not going to lie though, I was very much offended and hope that I never again have to read posts like that from anyone on this board. The biggest problem here is that in this thread we are supposed to be debating whether or not we approve of what the band is doing since Glenn's passing. We all have different thoughts about this, otherwise we wouldn't be debating. There are many pages in this thread where there have been very civil exchanges of ideas, even though there is disagreement. However, there are also many pages, especially lately, where people aren't coming here to debate the band's actions - instead they come here for the sole purpose of attacking fellow members and this is UNACCEPTABLE. This has nothing to do with being on one side or team or another, but every member of this board should be offended by posts that lash out at other members. Well-intended fans who join this board deserve to be able to express their opinion as long as it can be substantiated and is done so in a respectful manner. If we tolerate this kind egregious behavior, how do you control who’s on the receiving end? None of us should have to be subjected to this kind of vitriol here from anyone. So I do commend MC for recognizing this and seeing the error of her ways. On the other hand, redstorm, who has a series of these kinds of posts recently, has a history of criticizing how this board is administered and moderated. She’s been doing it for years under various identities.

Now, I've said it before and I'll say it again – the band members are public figures who have achieved their success because of fans, and they are not immune to criticism. I don’t know how any of them feels, but I have to believe they understand this. And, if I'm wrong about that, then I would have to call them very naive. I believe their families are also accepting and understanding of this. I have personally witnessed Cindy Frey, Taylor Frey, Deacon Frey, and Otis Frey all being very gracious toward Glenn’s fans.

So no matter how you feel about this, Soda, who is the owner of this board, has said that respectful criticism of the band is permissible. So, I repeat, if you want to come here to discuss the band, positively or negatively, then have at it. If you want to come here to criticize other members by name or not, collectively or individually, then DON’T. If you have legitimate concerns that you feel need to be addressed with the admin/mods, then maybe it would work best to do it by PM.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Nothing and no one will ever convince me to change my opinion. Yes Glenn Frey is gone. But that doesn't change the fact of who he was nor alter the reality of what has happened and not happened since his death.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." - Leo Tolstoy

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    Apology accepted. At least for me, it's not a question of telling Cindy she should have done more, it's just a feeling that Glenn didn't get his due and without that, there's no closure. I felt similarly when my grandfather passed away. My family is scattered all over and as a result, most of my relatives couldn't travel and his funeral had very low attendance. I remember looking around and thinking, "This is it? This is all he gets?" I was very close to my grandfather and I thought he deserved more. As time passed, I got over that, but it did take years. Grief takes time and people grieve in different ways.
    My view which I still hold is that it was not up to Cindy to arrange a tribute.

We are talking about a public figure here, not just someone's family member. We are talking about a man whose body of work deserved some sort of official recognition.

Let me say here that Paul McCartney plays Here Today, the song he wrote for John Lennon, every night. Afther he sang it, he said in the driest Liverpudlian accent he had, 'tell someone how you feel about them'. Just do it'. He also plays Something, which when I saw him lifted the roof off the venue in an explosion of joy for the memory of George. As he sang the song, starting with simple ukelele because George loved the instrument, then moving into the full band version, there were photos of himself & George at various times behind him on the big screen.

Queen & Adam Lambert was slightly more problematic, but at the very beginning of the show Adam shouted out at us 'do you miss Freddie? Do we all miss Freddie? This show is for Freddie'. That was good. Later, Freddie's image appeared during Love Of My Life & there was footage of him urging the audience to clap. Then during the md section of Boheman Rhapsody the video was used, so we saw & heard Freddie.

Those are two very good examples of how tributes can be done during a performance.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeeaglesfan View Post
    Having read through the various threads I think the "against it" side does come across as being more forceful/outspoken than the "for it" side but I think that is just the nature of taking that position. Had the band ended touring after Glenn died, I don't believe there would be an "against it (quitting)" group of people that would say they should have kept touring as the Eagles.

The current "for it" side seems not to feel so strongly that they should have continued but rather that it was okay that they did continue. It seems the different sides are "Let them do what they believe is appropriate" vs "They should have done what we think is appropriate", and the latter seems to come across more harshly because they are critical/angry over what was actually done.
    What you appear to be saying here is that you think your 'side' or whatever it is has the moral high ground because you agree with what 'the band' did as opposed to those of us who think they should have done differently. The band must always be right & should never be questioned or criticised.

I hope this does not come across as criticising you as an individual.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Actually, since you are a part of that group, when you complain about their treatment, you are also complaining about your own treatment. Therefore, my statement is not an untruth.

I've noticed that often, you condemn people for things they didn't actually say/do. This is one example. Whether you simply don't read all the posts carefully, misremember them, or willfully misrepresent them, I don't know.
    Lord, help! LOL More hair splitting!
    You sound like Bill Clinton. "It depends on what the definition of is, is."

It seems to me that you are intent on attempting to be just as insulting as possible. I do not "condemn people for things they didn't actually say/do."