Page 7 of 92 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 920

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

  1. #61
    Border Rebel travlnman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    785

    Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    FACT: Without Glenn Frey in the lineup this is not nor can it ever be the same band that's been touring as the Eagles for the past 24 years.
    EVERYONE KNOWS THAT.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    116

    Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year!!

    The only reason the name means anything is because of the stature of the people -- not just one person -- who were part of the band. The Yankees didn't cease being the Yankees when Babe Ruth stopped playing for them, but a large part of their identity, even to this day, is based on his history, memory and spiritual presence. The same is true for the Eagles. Glenn is largely responsible for that name maintaining meaning, significance and relevance over the last five decades. It is because of him, not in spite of his death, that people still sell out arenas to see the songs played. The upcoming and future tours, I choose to believe, are a celebration of Glenn, and of the band -- a "victory lap," perhaps -- and of the music and songs. The Eagles never did anything without Glenn signing off, and I believe that this tour is no different. They're honoring him, not replacing him. I truly believe that, and I know others disagree.

    To say we "accept" that Glenn is not in the band is inarguable. There is no other choice. But we certainly don't prefer it, and we're (or at least I am) choosing to remain loyal because we feel as if the current Eagles are a tribute to their loyalty to Glenn and his memory.

  3. #63
    Border Rebel travlnman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    785

    Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year!!

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleInKansas View Post
    The only reason the name means anything is because of the stature of the people -- not just one person -- who were part of the band. The Yankees didn't cease being the Yankees when Babe Ruth stopped playing for them, but a large part of their identity, even to this day, is based on his history, memory and spiritual presence. The same is true for the Eagles. Glenn is largely responsible for that name maintaining meaning, significance and relevance over the last five decades. It is because of him, not in spite of his death, that people still sell out arenas to see the songs played. The upcoming and future tours, I choose to believe, are a celebration of Glenn, and of the band -- a "victory lap," perhaps -- and of the music and songs. The Eagles never did anything without Glenn signing off, and I believe that this tour is no different. They're honoring him, not replacing him. I truly believe that, and I know others disagree.

    To say we "accept" that Glenn is not in the band is inarguable. There is no other choice. But we certainly don't prefer it, and we're (or at least I am) choosing to remain loyal because we feel as if the current Eagles are a tribute to their loyalty to Glenn and his memory.

    Exactly this.

  4. #64
    Stuck on the Border Dawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Walking in Memphis ...
    Posts
    1,661

    Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year!!

    How one views the band in its current lineup is a personal matter - as is how one chooses to express their loyalty. I've been a fan since the early 70's and do not view my lack of support for the current lineup as disloyal or insensitive.

    Among my Eagle fan friends not one has expressed any interest or desire to see the band since they announced their 2017-2018 tour.


    "Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    116

    Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year!!

    Dawn, you absolutely should not feel as if you're being disloyal by declining to continue to support the band. I absolutely, 100 percent agree with you on that. Loyalty is in one's heart. If you feel as if you are being loyal and true to yourself, then you are.

    I also feel as if I'm being loyal by being a part of this. There is far, far much more common ground between the two "sides" than either of us have cared to acknowledge so far. We both LOVE L-O-V-E LOVE Glenn Frey and would put him back into the band immediately if that option were available. Some of us choose to take the option that is available, and some pass. But it is almost certainly coming from the same place.

    Where we depart is when it is expressed that non-supporters "feel sorry" for those who are actively supporting the current Eagles. Don't feel sorry. We're actually pretty OK with the choice. We know it doesn't mean we have turned our back on Glenn, just like you know your position doesn't cancel out 45 years of fandom. We're having fun while we still can. The band is still really good.

    Ultimately, this probably isn't that big of a deal. The band's legacy is beyond secure and we are all still Eagles fans, the most passionate among a huge, worldwide group. I would talk for hours with any of you about the Eagles or any of their members, past and present, and feel right at home. We are a community and the band is a family. I wish I had more people to talk to about the current band, but I definitely hold no ill will as long as none is expressed to those of us still enjoying the Eagles live.

  6. #66
    Administrator sodascouts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Where Faulkner collides with Elvis
    Posts
    33,064

    Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year!!

    Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post

    It is EVERY SINGAL SHOW thread this debate gets renewed and shut down by only one group.
    FALSE.

    Get your facts straight if you want anyone to take your arguments seriously, travlnman2.

    Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

  7. #67
    Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA
    Posts
    18,624

    Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    FALSE.

    Get your facts straight if you want anyone to take your arguments seriously, travlnman2.
    This ^^.

    travlnman2 Ė Please cut the BS. As long as this thread is active, anyone is free to respectfully express their opinion here. To quote your earlier post, dictating who can or cannot post here ďjust comes off as superior and rudeĒ. You are the only one presently posting here that is engaging in confrontational, argumentative behavior. If you are going to debate topics on this board, you need to keep your facts straight, not twist around otherís words, and be more respectful and tolerant of opposing opinions.

    "People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

  8. #68
    Stuck on the Border
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    24,191

    Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post


    While there may not be direct evidence, I maintain there is plenty of circumstantial evidence that Glenn wanted the band to continue, or at the least, didnít care:

    His widow, who knew him best of anyone on the planet, gave the go-ahead;
    His children are directly involved in the tour;
    Friends and family showed up at the Detroit concert in a great show of support;
    One of his closest and most devoted friends, Bob Seger, who dedicated his last album to Glenn & wrote a song in his memory, said it was great the band was continuing on;
    His own band mates, who worked with Glenn for decades and mourned him at what was reported to be a touching and moving private memorial, decided to go on.

    If his closest friends and family members felt Glenn would be opposed to this, not even the threat of Azoffís wrath would keep at least one of them from speaking out.

    I realize Glennís wishes regarding this matter do not affect your opinion about the current Eagles. But I donít believe these circumstances should be ignored.

    They didnít ďacceptĒ it b/c itís not over. The main point of the thread is that the tour now has 52 booked dates. That doesnít sound like a band that is done. If they were over, no one would be buying tickets, watching their YT videos nor would the band be getting rave reviews from the critics.
    1. Regarding Glenn's wishes or not, I understand all of the above. Thanks for acknowledging that none of it affects how I feel about it. I don't know that he would not have 'cared', however. That is a strong word.

    2. No, it's not 'over' but it should have been. At first, they indicated that it was. Then they changed their minds.

    That is in fact the crucial point. If Glenn had in fact wanted them to continue they would not have waited a year before they did so. They would have jumped straight into it, just the way Donald Fagen did after Walter Becker died. Instead, they hung around & waited until they thought it was safe for them to continue, i.e. once a large amount of money was thown at them.

    It's probably time for those of us who object to this to retreat to the 'legitimate' thread.
    Last edited by Freypower; 02-26-2018 at 05:54 PM.

  9. #69
    Border Rebel travlnman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    785

    Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year!!

    Dreamer I said I UNDERSTOOD why people had an issue. I never said anything regarding. Others opinion I said everyone has the right to disagree or agree. But whatever

  10. #70
    Stuck on the Border Delilah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Long road south out of Cass County
    Posts
    3,281

    Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    1. Regarding Glenn's wishes or not, I understand all of the above. Thanks for acknowledging that none of it affects how I feel about it. I don't know that he would not have 'cared', however. That is a strong word.
    I didnít mean that he didnít care about the band. I meant it may not have mattered to him if the remaining members continued on or not. He may have thought it was a decision best left to them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    That is in fact the crucial point. If Glenn had in fact wanted them to continue they would not have waited a year before they did so. They would have jumped straight into it, just the way Donald Fagen did after Walter Becker died. Instead, they hung around & waited until they thought it was safe for them to continue, i.e. once a large amount of money was thown at them.

    It's probably time for those of us who object to this to retreat to the 'legitimate' thread.
    I disagree. It seems to me they were too grief-stricken and in shock to imagine continuing the band without Glenn, like when someone loses a spouse and canít imagine being in a relationship with someone else. After some time passed, they realized it was possible after all.

    At any rate, I donít wish to rehash the same old, same old, like Dreamer said. So Iíll be retreating myself.

    Thinking of you and hoping for the best. Stay strong Randy!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •