Page 70 of 92 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by WKMB55 View Post
    The only response I have for you Freypower is I hope you get what you want. Personally I have celebrated and acknowledged Glenn's life and accomplishments often for the past two years so I'm not sure that I would attend or view any type of public event should it happen. For all who feel a public acknowledgement is the best or proper way to honor Glenn's accomplishments, I hope you get everything you're envisioning it should be.

Thank you for that, but quite frankly, I am not expecting anything now. Like you I will continue to remember Mr Frey in my own way.

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Thank you for that, but quite frankly, I am not expecting anything now. Like you I will continue to remember Mr Frey in my own way.
    Yes, this is wise. Don't expect a tribute now.

And as I've said elsewhere, I'm not actually concerning myself with what they do during their shows now. Since I'm against the very existence of these shows, anything they do during the shows won't satisfy me, and what they don't do will only reinforce what I already feel.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    What you appear to be saying here is that you think your 'side' or whatever it is has the moral high ground because you agree with what 'the band' did as opposed to those of us who think they should have done differently. The band must always be right & should never be questioned or criticised.

I hope this does not come across as criticising you as an individual.
    I don't think it is the moral high ground - what I am saying is that arguments against what the group has done seems more harsh - especially when everyone on here are fans of them.

No personal offense taken.

I would be thrilled if there was some special tribute concert for Glenn but I don't believe what they have done already isn't sufficient. At every solo show and Eagles show I have been to since his death, he has had meaningful heartfelt (in my opinion) reference made to him. It seems that many things in the Eagles' history have been more understated/private than some other bands.

Some fans are content with what they have done, some believe they should give him more recognition in their current concerts and some don't believe they should be performing as Eagles at all. Since there is no pleasing everyone, I am happy with respecting the decision of those closest to him, thinking that they should know best.

Personally, I believe fans who are not supportive of the current lineup have every right to express their opposition as long as in doing so they abide by the terms and expectations of the board's owner and administrator. This is NOT a special consideration and/or condition - the rules and consequences for not abiding by them are applicable to all members regardless of their POV on the current lineup and/or any other issue.

Those who don't like the fact there is opposition and have used this forum to express their sentiments with angry outbursts, emotionally charged personal attacks and crude insults aimed at fans who disagree with them including the owner/administrator of this discussion board and her moderators have been asked (some more than once) to either respect and abide by the rules or leave.

This is a big tour and it has just started. They have a long way to go before they are done for the year. Who knows what lies ahead. It is anyone's guess.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Yes, this is wise. Don't expect a tribute now.

And as I've said elsewhere, I'm not actually concerning myself with what they do during their shows now. Since I'm against the very existence of these shows, anything they do during the shows won't satisfy me, and what they don't do will only reinforce what I already feel.
    Soda, you make a valid point here, and I agree with you on some level. But, for me, although I’ll never approve, I do think it would ease the sting somewhat if I felt the band was giving Glenn the proper amount of recognition he deserves. I know all the arguments and there are some who feel that what they are currently doing is appropriate, but I do not. By all accounts, they aren’t even bothering to dedicate a song to the man like they did in last year’s shows.

So when someone in this thread asked the question about what else the band could do, I offered some suggestions. I’m not going to repeat them, but suffice it to say, I don’t believe it is at all unreasonable for the band to take 5 minutes out of each show to honor Glenn and I certainly think the audience would appreciate it.

I’m not sure what Don’s and Glenn’s relationship was when Glenn passed. Don said they were like brothers, albeit dysfunctional ones. But, I believe that no matter what their personal relationship was, Don should honor their professional band relationship. I defer to FP’s post about how Paul McCartney honors John Lennon and George Harrison many years after their passing every single time he takes the stage. Paul McCartney is a model of decorum and a class act, IMHO. There is no expiration date on paying tribute to someone.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Soda, you make a valid point here, and I agree with you on some level. But, for me, although I’ll never approve, I do think it would ease the sting somewhat if I felt the band was giving Glenn the proper amount of recognition he deserves. I know all the arguments and there are some who feel that what they are currently doing is appropriate, but I do not. By all accounts, they aren’t even bothering to dedicate a song to the man like they did in last year’s shows.

So when someone in this thread asked the question about what else the band could do, I offered some suggestions. I’m not going to repeat them, but suffice it to say, I don’t believe it is at all unreasonable for the band to take 5 minutes out of each show to honor Glenn and I certainly think the audience would appreciate it.

I’m not sure what Don’s and Glenn’s relationship was when Glenn passed. Don said they were like brothers, albeit dysfunctional ones. But, I believe that no matter what their personal relationship was, Don should honor their professional band relationship. I defer to FP’s post about how Paul McCartney honors John Lennon and George Harrison many years after their passing every single time he takes the stage. Paul McCartney is a model of decorum and a class act, IMHO. There is no expiration date on paying tribute to someone.
    I feel as Soda does ...I don't expect a tribute -- and I also agree with you Dreamer there is no expiration date on paying tribute to Glenn (beautifully put BTW) and believe the band could/should find a way to honor Glenn each and every time they play and sing under the Eagles banner.
    Last edited by Dawn; 04-03-2018 at 01:14 PM.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

do they even talk about him on stage these days?

I mean, apart from when Deacon sings and he mentions it was a song his dad used to sing... is there any other mention?
    "Broken hearts can't call the cops. Yeah, it's the perfect crime."

Quote Originally Posted by luciknight View Post

I mean, apart from when Deacon sings and he mentions it was a song his dad used to sing... is there any other mention?
    Yes they have a picture of him on the Jumbotron at the end of Peaceful Easy Feeling. They do it during Best Of My Love and several others

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    I feel as Soda does ...I don't expect a tribute -- and I also agree with you Dreamer there is no expiration date on paying tribute to Glenn (beautifully put BTW) and believe the band could/should find a way to honor Glenn each and every time they play and sing under the Eagles banner.
    They have a picture of him shown during Peaceful Easy Feeling at the end li

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luciknight View Post

Don mentions that he and Glenn were living together in Laurel Canyon when they wrote their first #1 hit, Best of My Love. Vince has mentioned Glenn in the concerts before launching into some of his songs.

Last year in their solo shows, Don would dedicate Desperado to Glenn, Timothy would sing Peaceful Easy feeling and dedicate it to Glenn and Joe would sing and dedicate Take it to the Limit to Glenn. J.D. Souther also spoke about Glenn during his solo shows. Since his death, I haven't attended a concert connected with the Eagles that he wasn't recognized in some manner.