Page 72 of 92 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about that?

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I just have a feeling the band was more likely to go on without Glenn than without don. I feel that replacing Glenn in the lineup was just easier than replacing don. There were more obvious candidates for Glenn. I don’t think Glenn would have continued but I wouldn’t have minded at all if he did. But it is what it is
    Agree to disagree.

Glenn's voice was just as great and unique as Don's is. To me, Glenn was the better singer overall but I think there would be plenty who could cover Henley just as good as Vince and Deacon are covering Glenn. And I don't say what level that is, I think it's known I don't think very highly of it. Glenn was the frontman. He directed and led the show and his voice was the one that people heard out front and center every night. He would be just as hard to replace as Don.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Pure speculation but all things considered I believe Glenn Frey would have retired the band rather than continue the Eagles without Don Henley.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Agree to disagree.

Glenn's voice was just as great and unique as Don's is. To me, Glenn was the better singer overall but I think there would be plenty who could cover Henley just as good as Vince and Deacon are covering Glenn. And I don't say what level that is, I think it's known I don't think very highly of it. Glenn was the frontman. He directed and led the show and his voice was the one that people heard out front and center every night. He would be just as hard to replace as Don.
    Yes.

YEF, we have been through this. We know your views on the subject.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well luci – I have a different take on this. What ltef’s posts referred to is all of the past solo shows and band concerts since Glenn’s passing. I have no qualms with the dedications that Don, Joe, and Timothy did for Glenn in their shows and feel that they were heartfelt and entirely appropriate for solo shows. However. my posts have been referring to what they are currently doing on this particular tour. I know some sincerely believe the band is already honoring Glenn and I respect that. However, my understanding is that the only time Glenn is currently recognized is by Deacon’s intro of PEF that it is a song his dad used to sing, and then after the song, a picture of Glenn appears on the jumbotron for several seconds. There is not even a dedication. Now, I haven’t heard mention of anything else except for a couple of the posts above, and I haven’t been to any shows, so I would appreciate if someone could correct me if I’m wrong. It is certainly not my intention to misrepresent anything. But, even if there is another mention or two, I believe the level of recognition is very disproportionate to Glenn’s enormous contributions to this band. Plain and simple. And I want to make it clear that while I am not seething in anger, I am terribly disappointed.

I guess what I don’t get is that folks can support this current version of the band and still not oppose the idea of them doing more to honor Glenn’s contributions. I don’t see these as being mutually exclusive. So, why the objection to them improving their presentation to honor the band’s founder, leader, and half of its principle singing and songwriting duo? It certainly doesn’t hurt anything, it would likely be very appreciated by the audience, and may even help assuage some of the perceptions that the band is being insensitive and disrespectful of Glenn’s memory.

There were a couple of comments to the effect that when people go to a concert they are there to enjoy themselves, not at a funeral, and that continuing to memorialise someone who has died does not happen in a 'workplace'. So yes, they seem to feel that it's mutually exclusive. I have gone to the trouble of finding them, because I never again want to be told that I have misquoted someone or have made some sort of snide remark about their views.

1. MaryCalifornia:

And oh yeah, like the guys are going to stop a show and do some five minute tribute to Glenn every night on tour more than two years after he has died. This isn't how normal people behave in the workplace. Would you have them do this 3 years after, 4 years after, 5 years after? YOU know he founded the band and wrote and sang the songs. Why do you need public validation, night after night, from the guys? They know it, everyone knows it! And if certain fans at a show don't know it, then who cares, they're there to enjoy the music.

And please note that I am well aware that MC was annoyed when she wrote this, but I assume these are still her views.

YoungEaglesFan:

Although I think they should do more in their concerts, it is after all a concert. It’s not supposed to be funeral like. They are in high demand, people want to see the music not think about the sadness of Glenn’s passing.

I agree with you, Dreamer, of course.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-03-2018 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Agree to disagree.

Well I just think there were more obvious replacements. Not necessarily in voice but just filling his role. Deacon was super convenient

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Yes.

YEF, we have been through this. We know your views on the subject.
    Well I just figured I’d state my opinion because it was relevant to the conversation. I don’t think most people on here know my exact view on it

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I'm not able to suggest what Don, Joe and Tim would each say during a concert to eulogize/recognize Glenn. But, I am willing to take a stab at a dream Memorial Concert - here's my first pass at it - feel free to make edits/additions or make your own:

Location - Has to be LA

Time - summer, 6:00 p.m.

Venue - Hollywood Bowl if I'm charging fans for tickets. If it is free to fans, then Dodger Stadium. The Forum is dark and depressing so no.

Host - Sheryl Crow. I think there has to be a host because of different bands coming on stage, it can't just be awkward silence. She would know most of the performers and then she could perform. I had a hard time with this. Who else could host?

Performers - Bob Seger, Jackson Browne, Jack Tempchin(?), Sheryl Crow, Fleetwood Mac, Willie Nelson, Harry Styles/Niall Horan, Timothy w/Poco and one solo song, Joe, Don. Need: someone to represent Linda, someone R&B from Detroit, and an '80s contemporary of Glenn's solo music. Who else?

Merchandise - Yes - new Glenn stuff plus old Glenn stuff and Eagles stuff.

High quality video - Yes

Broadcast - Yes, but not live, too awkward. Perfectly edited. Preferably on Showtime but AXS would be fine too.

Album - Yes

Charities Benefited - those that fund music teachers, classes and instruments in poor neighborhoods in LA and NY

That's what I've got so far, its a work in progress.

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

I would add J.D. Souther to your performers list.

Sounds like it would be a great tribute!!!

Stuck on the Border

In a dream tribute concert Bernie would do Most Us Are Sad. It's an important song in the Eagles history, because it's the song that made Glyn Johns aware of their great harmony vocals (isn't it?). Plus Bernie has said nice things about the song. Bernie probably would have to sing it in a lower key though.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Of course to J.D., I just wasn't sure if he still performs.

Totally forgot Bernie - he is in!