Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts Of A Hopeless Romantic

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Thoughts Of A Hopeless Romantic

I guess we'll never know the mystery that is Bernard Leadon.

Banned

Cool Re: Thoughts Of A Hopeless Romantic

To me, music and the people who make music are "organic": they are always in a process of change (except for maybe Lawrence Welk). Some times the change is for the better, sometimes not. And then you have the issue of who decides what is better or worse, the folks who buy albums, or the music critics, or the musicians themselves. It gets complicated.

You want a band that REALLY changed direction? Remember Journey? Once they got Steve Perry out front, it was a completely different outfit. I had never listened to Journey before we did a big outdoor show with them in 1981, when they had just released the Escape album. Watching them, I was blown away at how good a singer Perry was. I mentioned this to one of their guys, and he looked at me like, "Oh, really? You just figured that out?"

So, yeah the Eagles changed, and maybe I didn't like all the changes, but these guys were some of the best and most introspective songwriters in the business; nothing they did (at least nothing up till the 1980s) was mundane or pedestrian.

Just yesterday, the weird radio station around here played Sad Cafe (twice). A poignant song lyrically and musically, especially if you are familiar with the backstory. Same thing with The Last Resort - I feel the emotion of that deep in my viscera, likely because I watched first-hand the devolution of the southern California I'd grown up in.

I admit it: I'm a California Chauvinist. Both Henley and Frey, the two primary writers of The Eagles, have mentioned how much the ephemeral nature of this place changed them. So Cal has done that to a lot of artists, from Thomas Mann to Joan Didion. I mean, can you imagine what kind of songs Henley and Frey would have written had they stayed in Texas and Detroit?

So I try to keep an open mind and ear when I hear a band alter its direction, even if I liked the path they were already on; I'd hope that others would as well. Who was it who said, "The only constant in the world is change."?

Oh, yeah, now I remember. It was Lawrence Welk...

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

That's the thing about the Eagles, a lot of fans, including myself, didn't know who the members were or who sang what! Their picture wasn't on the album covers! My dad had Their Greatest Hits and that was what I always thought of as the Eagles, I listened to it my whole life and had no other albums. Almost 20 years later I caught a Hell Freezes Over performance on TV, probably the recorded show, and I was so confused! So many guys out front, and who was that guy on the far end with the really long hair?! Not until I saw the HoTE doc did I understand the different members, lineups and eras.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    That's the thing about the Eagles, a lot of fans, including myself, didn't know who the members were or who sang what! Their picture wasn't on the album covers! My dad had Their Greatest Hits and that was what I always thought of as the Eagles, I listened to it my whole life and had no other albums. Almost 20 years later I caught a Hell Freezes Over performance on TV, probably the recorded show, and I was so confused! So many guys out front, and who was that guy on the far end with the really long hair?! Not until I saw the HoTE doc did I understand the different members, lineups and eras.
    Yes, agreed. And then, after HOtE, I started realizing that the long-haired guy was the same dude that was on the Poco Deliverin' album cover, and it just kept getting more compelling as I learned more and began to understand the dynamics of Eagles growth and changes.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

For me, I was born in the mid-80s, so my first exposure to the Eagles was in the 90s, when HFO came out and my mom would play it in the car. At the age of 8, I didn't know their names or what they looked like, but I knew there was the one with the soothing voice (Glenn - my favorite even at that age), the one with the raspy voice, the one with the high-pitched voice, and the one with the voice that sounded...different (Joe). I didn't know what they looked like until many years later, except for Henley (The End of the Innocence was also played in the car and I knew the cover.). I didn't even know who Randy, Bernie, Felder, and Tim were until I saw HOTE.

Since then, I've come to appreciate all versions of the band (except the current one), and all members. My favorite era is circa Hotel California, but I've really come to like and appreciate Bernie recently.

First Eagles song I remember hearing (REMEMBER -- probably not actually heard), was "Lyin' Eyes." It was a BIG crossover hit (when you still had crossover hits), and since most of the music played in the car was either Big Bands on the 8-track or country on the AM radio, country was what I usually heard. I was seven or so, and I didn't know Glenn from Adam's housecat, but I knew I loooooooved his voice. He immediately went to the top of my list with Paul McCartney. (I had a couple of younger babysitters and older cousins who kept me up on the better music. "Band on the Run" was and is my favorite song.) I saw a picture of Glenn in my sister's "Seventeen" magazine, which was actually for teens and not a fanzine. It was that one of him sans mustache, where his hair was just.. Oh heck. It was this one.
    Anyway, even at seven, I knew a good looking man when I saw one. I heard "TITTL" on the radio a year or so later, and knew I'd happened on a good thing. Then, my sister came up with the Greatest Hits Vol. I on cassette and I nearly wore it out.
    Since I like country, I like the early stuff, and the rock and roll part approves of the later music. I love Bernie and his contributions, which were so vital, and Randy and his voice, but even more, his absolutely stellar bass work. "Already Gone" wouldn't be the song it is if Randy's bass weren't driving it. By the same token, I love Tim's sweet singing -- and his bass is pretty doggone good, too.
    While my favorite overall album is probably "On The Border," I can find something to love on every album. It will surprise no one that I'll be a Glenn woman until I die (I know. SHOCK! LOL.), but every member contributed something lasting and unforgettable to the group's sound. You can't leave out "The Long Run" any more than you can leave out "Take it Easy." It's all part of a truly incredible body of work from guys who hadn't even hit 30 for most of it. I've said it here before: these guys are a massive chunk of the soundtrack of my life and I love them for it.

I love that picture, Pippin, I could stare into those eyes forever, lol.

It's been interesting to read everyone's stories on here and how and when they discovered the band. I keep thinking of a comment someone made in the extras to the Melbourne concert, I think it was Timothy, about their music reaching across generations.