Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Kid In Town most underrated Eagles hit?

Default New Kid In Town most underrated Eagles hit?

From what I’ve seen online and in media, When people think of the eagles hits it’s greatest hits one, HC and life in the fast lane. I know that on here it’s a beloved song and some consider their best (I personally feel that way too). But it’s not talked about on HOTE, the HC rerelease. CNN didn’t put it in their list of Glenn’s best work, billboards hits list doesn’t include it, a rolling stone readers poll had it as their 10th best song. I have never heard it on the radio (granted with limited exposure to local stations). It was after all a number one hit song, does it get covered up by hotel California? I adore the song and I just don’t see it mentioned far enough when discussions about the Eagles catalogue come up

Default Re: New Kid In Town most underrated Eagles hit?

Yeah maybe it is. I love that song, though Hotel is still my favorite. The harmonies are amazing, Felder is amazing with his Strat. Live versions are better than studio for this song imo.

But even then, I don't see it talked about that much as well.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    Yeah maybe it is. I love that song, though Hotel is still my favorite. The harmonies are amazing, Felder is amazing with his Strat. Live versions are better than studio for this song imo.

But even then, I don't see it talked about that much as well.
    I agree, what separates this song from say Lyin eyes is the guitar work. Felder doesn’t go crazy and wows you but he serves the song perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I agree, what separates this song from say Lyin eyes is the guitar work. Felder doesn’t go crazy and wows you but he serves the song perfectly
    Really? I LOVE Felder's work on Lyin Eyes!
    The chemistry... nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    Really? I LOVE Felder's work on Lyin Eyes!
    It’s not that I don’t like it, it’s just I think it’s just not enough if you get what I mean. I prefer the music to new kid in town compared to Lyin eyes because it’s more complex and more in front, where as Lyin eyes the lyrics take over

Border Troubadour

Of their singles, for me yes it is. It has excellent instrumentation, particularly from Walsh and Felder, and contains for me Glenn's single best vocal performance. Couple that with the superb harmonies and decent lyrics and you have a belting song on your hands. Glenn holding 'and you're still aroooooooooooooound' with the backing vocals joining in ranks as one of my favourite moments in any Eagles song. One of very few Eagles songs I can listen to multiple times in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Of their singles, for me yes it is. It has excellent instrumentation, particularly from Walsh and Felder, and contains for me Glenn's single best vocal performance. Couple that with the superb harmonies and decent lyrics and you have a belting song on your hands. Glenn holding 'and you're still aroooooooooooooound' with the backing vocals joining in ranks as one of my favourite moments in any Eagles song. One of very few Eagles songs I can listen to multiple times in a row.
    Yes, I absolutely agree about Glenn and his superb vocal performance on this song.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

It's Glenn's best song, so of course it doesn't get the recognition it deserves, to the point where it was DROPPED from the LROOE tour. Although that was my favourite tour, that hurt, as did the exclusion of Already Gone & Tequila Sunrise (you see the pattern here). It should have won Best Vocal Performance as well as Arrangement.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm not sure that I would agree that the song is underrated, and, even if it is, I certainly don't think it has anything to do with the fact that it is a 'Glenn' song. There are lots of Eagles songs that I would call underrated before this one. Maybe I've had different experiences than others, but I remember it as a huge hit back in the day. And, while it doesn't get the same amount of air time as Hotel California, few songs do. I remember hearing it just a couple of weeks ago in the grocery store.

In any event, I would put it in my top 5 of all Eagles songs. When I saw this thread, it reminded me of a thread that we had during the Eagles' 40th anniversary year where we rated our favorite Eagle songs. While this is certainly not a scientific poll, some of you may still find it interesting. NKIT finished at #8 overall. Here is the link:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...?t=3769&page=8

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    It's Glenn's best song, so of course it doesn't get the recognition it deserves, to the point where it was DROPPED from the LROOE tour. Although that was my favourite tour, that hurt, as did the exclusion of Already Gone & Tequila Sunrise (you see the pattern here). It should have won Best Vocal Performance as well as Arrangement.

I will never understand how anyone can listen to NKIT by Glenn Frey and not appreciate what a masterful vocalist and arranger Glenn Frey was.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016