Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Kid In Town most underrated Eagles hit?

Border Rebel

Default Re: New Kid In Town most underrated Eagles hit?

I do agree that it's somewhat underrated, perhaps due to so many great songs on the HC album. Although I wouldn't call it the most underrated song of the Eagles, ti's always been one of my favorites. The lyrics, lead vocal, harmonies and guitars are all excellent. I love listening to it!

I suppose New Kid in Town is somewhat underrated, as there are hits that are more well-known, but to me an underrated song are ones that few have heard of (Saturday Night, Hollywood Waltz, Ol' 55 are a few that fit this description to me). I love NKIT though, definitely one of Glenn's best.

I really like NKIT. It wasn't always that way. But I feel like I like it more and more.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Well, as you can tell from my user name, NKIT is one of my all time favorite Eagles songs. I think it is underrated but, I also think most of Glenn's songs are underrated because most people think Don is the voice of the Eagles and they just think of those songs. I think his performance at the Capital Center is one of the highlights of the show along with Randy singing TITTL. I could listen to Glenn singing that song every day. FP was right, it also deserved the Grammy for best vocal performance.

I do have to say that I agree with Dreamer in that I remember it being a HUGE hit when it was released in Dec.1976. You could not listen to a radio without it being played over and over. We were driving to Fla. to visit my sisters for Christmas and my parents commented on how often it was played on the radio-lol. And, it was a #1 song.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Well, as you can tell from my user name, NKIT is one of my all time favorite Eagles songs. I think it is underrated but, I also think most of Glenn's songs are underrated because most people think Don is the voice of the Eagles and they just think of those songs. I think his performance at the Capital Center is one of the highlights of the show along with Randy singing TITTL. I could listen to Glenn singing that song every day. FP was right, it also deserved the Grammy for best vocal performance.

I do have to say that I agree with Dreamer in that I remember it being a HUGE hit when it was released in Dec.1976. You could not listen to a radio without it being played over and over. We were driving to Fla. to visit my sisters for Christmas and my parents commented on how often it was played on the radio-lol. And, it was a #1 song.
    I totally agree about NKIT in the capitol centre footage. That is my favorite performance from the band both individually and as a band

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I totally agree about NKIT in the capitol centre footage. That is my favorite performance from the band both individually and as a band
    My personal favorite is the performance of 22nd September 1976 from The Forum (not the Eagles Live version, but the bootleg. It was rawer which I liked). But the Capital Center version is obviously the best in terms of quality and generally one of the best as well.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Stuck on the Border

It's not for me to say what people should like, but sometimes when I hear NKIT I do go "how can some people not get the greatness of this song". Sometimes I try to put in words what makes the song great for me and it may sound like I love it for some kind of technical reasons, but not so. I loved the song before I knew what an E chord means. I guess HC, for example, is captivating for a lot of people because of the "what does it mean" factor in the lyrics, but for me, although on one level in can be taken as an ordinary love song, NKIT takes me into a magical journey much more than HC does. To me it's also more a movie-like experience than HC. To this day I can't REALLY say why it does all that for me. Something about the spirit
    Last edited by chaim; 03-11-2018 at 06:09 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    It's not for me to say what people should like, but sometimes when I hear NKIT I do go "how can some people not get the greatness of this song". Sometimes I try to put in words what makes the song great for me and it may sound like I love it for some kind of technical reasons, but not so. I loved the song before I knew what an E chord means. I guess HC, for example, is captivating for a lot of people because of the "what does it mean" factor in the lyrics, but for me, although on one level in can be taken as an ordinary love song, NKIT takes me into a magical journey much more than HC does. To me it's also more a movie-like experience than HC. To this day I can't REALLY say why it does all that for me. Something about the spirit
    Agreed, although I've never seen NKIT as a love song, despite the second verse. What happens to his relationship is just a part of it, hence the sense of it being a movie as you say.

'They will never forget you 'til somebody new comes along' is my favourite line in any Eagles song; so resonant & sadly still so relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post

I will never understand how anyone can listen to NKIT by Glenn Frey and not appreciate what a masterful vocalist and arranger Glenn Frey was.
    I will never understand how anyone can listen to any song Glenn sings, even if it's Happy Birthday to You... and not appreciate what a f*cking talented man he was.
    "Broken hearts can't call the cops. Yeah, it's the perfect crime."

btw... are they still performing this song live or did they drop it from the setlist?
    "Broken hearts can't call the cops. Yeah, it's the perfect crime."