Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future Eagles music with Glenn's vocal?

Default Future Eagles music with Glenn's vocal?

I was listening to my pandora at work today and a Beatles song I've never heard before, Free As A Bird, came on. I thought, what, a Beatles song I've never heard before?? and looked it up. Some of you probably already know this, but the song came out in 1995. Paul, George, and Ringo used a demo John recorded in 1977 and filled in the rest of the vocals and music, keeping John's voice. George said they had always agreed that if one of them was not in the band, the rest wouldn't replace them and "go on as The Beatles," and the only other person who could be in a band with them was John.

I couldn't help but make the comparison, and it is a fitting one - The Beatles were also a band where there was no one lead singer, John was at least a co-leader with Paul, he played the guitar but wasn't the main guitar player.

If there was an unrecorded song of Glenn's, or even a partial song, how would you all feel if Henley, Joe, and Timothy did something like this? I am among those who are against the Eagles continuing without Glenn, but I would be very excited if this were to happen. It would be respectful and a fitting tribute to Glenn.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: Future Eagles music with Glenn's vocal?

Are we assuming that Glenn wanted his non-published vocal performance to be altered and published? If it would be OK with him, then yes, of course, it would be great - new Eagles music!

We have debated the issue of "what would Glenn want" ad nauseum. In my opinion, that consideration is more important in this scenario than what the remaining guys do with the Eagles name because it is his personal performance being used in a way he hasn't approved. The editing and adding vocals around his vocal starts verging into hologram territory. I guess his estate could approve it. I'm surprised you are more OK with this concept than with Eagles 3.0.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

The song was widely bootlegged long before it came out, and I knew it already.

It was interesting that the three surviving (at that time) Beatles came together again, however the result was only OK. It was interesting to hear what they did, and to hear their voices together again, but it didn't really stand up against The Beatles canon from the 60s.

If there are any unreleased Glenn songs, I think I'd rather hear the original demos than remade versions. However, if it was done particularly well, then it might happen that I change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Are we assuming that Glenn wanted his non-published vocal performance to be altered and published? If it would be OK with him, then yes, of course, it would be great - new Eagles music!

We have debated the issue of "what would Glenn want" ad nauseum. In my opinion, that consideration is more important in this scenario than what the remaining guys do with the Eagles name because it is his personal performance being used in a way he hasn't approved. The editing and adding vocals around his vocal starts verging into hologram territory. I guess his estate could approve it. I'm surprised you are more OK with this concept than with Eagles 3.0.
    My personal feeling on the "what Glenn would want" issue is that Glenn didn't contemplate any of this, but I don't want to open that can of worms again, and in any case, we will never know. In the case of The Beatles, they obtained Yoko Ono's permission, so, I suppose, they could obtain Cindy's here. I'm more OK with this concept than with Eagles 3.0 because Glenn was the reason I got into the Eagles in the first place, so, to me, I'm not interested in an Eagles without him. I also feel that what The Beatles did was at least respectful to John's memory, recognition that they felt the band should not continue without him.

Annoying Twit - (sorry, I don't know how to quote more than one post) - I agree with you, I wasn't impressed with Free As A Bird at all.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    recognition that they felt the band should not continue without him.
    I don't know how to quote multiple posts either! Well of course the band shouldn't have continued without him, if it is true that they all explicitly agreed that they wouldn't continue on if one of the members was unavailable. They were honoring the deal.

Regardless, would love to hear any of the guys' unpublished vocals, and I don't care how they edit them, if everyone agrees.

I was listening to my pandora at work today and a Beatles song I've never heard before, Free As A Bird, came on. I thought, what, a Beatles song I've never heard before?? and looked it up. Some of you probably already know this, but the song came out in 1995. Paul, George, and Ringo used a demo John recorded in 1977 and filled in the rest of the vocals and music, keeping John's voice. George said they had always agreed that if one of them was not in the band, the rest wouldn't replace them and "go on as The Beatles," and the only other person who could be in a band with them was John.

I couldn't help but make the comparison, and it is a fitting one - The Beatles were also a band where there was no one lead singer, John was at least a co-leader with Paul, he played the guitar but wasn't the main guitar player.

If there was an unrecorded song of Glenn's, or even a partial song, how would you all feel if Henley, Joe, and Timothy did something like this? I am among those who are against the Eagles continuing without Glenn, but I would be very excited if this were to happen. It would be respectful and a fitting tribute to Glenn.
    I would want anything with Glenn's voice on it at this point, just to hear more of him, but sadly Don has already vetoed this idea. He has said that he didn't think Glenn would want that when the possibility was brought up about including demos with the HC anniversary release.

Of course, he also claims that no demos or unreleased songs exist, which we know is BS.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Annoying Twit - (sorry, I don't know how to quote more than one post) - I agree with you, I wasn't impressed with Free As A Bird at all.
    FAAB was OK. But, The Beatles' work shouldn't just be OK. Real Love was a bit better, but still not the best. I waited outside Tower Records in London at midnight to buy FAAB, and enjoyed that process. I can understand how people who had never heard FAAB would have appreciated the release more than me, as it was a new unheard Beatles track. But, I was already familiar with it.

(The following is not replying to the above, but the thread in general.)

In terms of 'What Glenn would want', I feel that we have to defer to his family on this. Nobody else is in a better position to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I would want anything with Glenn's voice on it at this point, just to hear more of him, but sadly Don has already vetoed this idea. He has said that he didn't think Glenn would want that when the possibility was brought up about including demos with the HC anniversary release.

Of course, he also claims that no demos or unreleased songs exist, which we know is BS.
    I guess that's it, I just want to hear his voice again.

It's really that Henley doesn't want to release demos, isn't it, as discussed here many times, he has never come out and said Glenn said to him he didn't want this or that. I find it hard to believe they don't have unreleased songs sitting around somewhere.

I guess that's it, I just want to hear his voice again.
    Wouldn't we all.

It's really that Henley doesn't want to release demos, isn't it, as discussed here many times, he has never come out and said Glenn said to him he didn't want this or that. I find it hard to believe they don't have unreleased songs sitting around somewhere.
    Part of what Eagles were about was a degree of perfectionism. I can understand Don H. not wanting to release demos. However, people can change their minds.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Wouldn't we all.

Part of what Eagles were about was a degree of perfectionism. I can understand Don H. not wanting to release demos. However, people can change their minds.
    Indeed.

I was watching the Free As A Bird & Real Love videos last night, and they are beautiful, regardless of the songs' quality. I'm glad we have them.