Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: New Glenn Compilation

Default Re: New Glenn Compilation

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    You make some good points.

As I said earlier in the thread, Glenn only sings lead on a handful of the Longbranch songs. It's mainly J.D. Souther. It should have been given a standalone release. It has nothing to do with Glenn's solo career. I also feel that Dublin should have been given a separate release, years ago. Lumping these together emphasises how small Glenn's output as a solo artist was.

I have to say I don't know why you would think Cindy would make decisions about this. She is not part of the industry. I suppose we will get more information when it is released, but yet again I see it as a lost opportunity.
    I thought of Cindy because I assume she has Glenn's rights to his music, but you're right, that doesn't necessarily mean she would make a decision like this.

I can't think of why whoever made this decision would not include much of his 80s & 90s work. Knowing that JD sang lead on most of the LP songs makes this even more disappointing. A lost opportunity, for sure.

Stuck on the Border

Cindy would have rights to Glenn's private estate, not his music. At least that's what I would have thought - copyright & ownership would have been vested in the publishing company rather than in an individual.

I did find this though:

https://www.royaltyexchange.com/leng...wnership-music

Even if she does have the rights I would have thought it highly unlikely that she would have overseen the compilation.
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-03-2018 at 01:39 AM.

Of course, I am happy to have this compilation coming out. But I agree with others that it disappoints on several counts. The Longbranch-Pennywhistle album will be great to have to complete collections. But I have heard the tracks, and they're just not to my taste.
    Far better to me would have been a "Complete Solo Works" offering. The early albums are hard to find outside the Lp format.
    Many of my favorites have been left out of this set. With so few albums, I don't know why all cuts could not have been included.
    I am very happy about the concert video, though; I have only been able to find it in VHS.
    Unreleased video or audio would have been awesome!
    Sometimes you wonder if the industry folks do any market research with real fans on projects such as this!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Stuck on the Border

As I've managed to collect all the solo albums as well as "The Solo Collection" (which has four new tracks), what I'd really like is a CD with all the more obscure tracks that were released somewhere in the world. That would include:

Living in Darkness (My copy of The Allnighter has The Heat is On instead)
    Flip City
    It's Cold in Here
    Ain't it Love
    Working Man (slow version)

It would need something else, so possibilities are:
    Run Boy, Run and Rebbeca from Longbranch Pennywhistle
    (Get Up) Kate - one of the bonus tracks on The Capitol Collection by Linda Ronstadt
    Get you in the Mood - TIE B-side
    The four new tracks from The Solo Collection
    Show me the Money from Max Carl and Big Dance
    Desperado from the Dublin concert

and, of course, any recorded but, as yet, unreleased tracks.

Still, I'm happy there will be a release of something and a DVD of the Dublin show is something to look forward to. I just wish it had come out a lot sooner and saved me the money I spent on "No Fun Aloud", "Longbranch Pennywhistle" and the Dublin VHS tape.

I don't see his catalogue as being that small and at least it is of a fairly consistent standard. It's not as if the tracks that have been omitted are horrible - they include some of my favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Cindy would have rights to Glenn's private estate, not his music. At least that's what I would have thought - copyright & ownership would have been vested in the publishing company rather than in an individual.

I did find this though:

https://www.royaltyexchange.com/leng...wnership-music

Even if she does have the rights I would have thought it highly unlikely that she would have overseen the compilation.
    You're probably right.

A "complete solo works" offering, with all 5 albums (or all 4 80s/90s albums, as After Hours is still in print and available), with a CD offering rarities would have been great.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    As I've managed to collect all the solo albums as well as "The Solo Collection" (which has four new tracks), what I'd really like is a CD with all the more obscure tracks that were released somewhere in the world. That would include:

Living in Darkness (My copy of The Allnighter has The Heat is On instead)
    Flip City
    It's Cold in Here
    Ain't it Love
    Working Man (slow version)

It would need something else, so possibilities are:
    Run Boy, Run and Rebbeca from Longbranch Pennywhistle
    (Get Up) Kate - one of the bonus tracks on The Capitol Collection by Linda Ronstadt
    Get you in the Mood - TIE B-side
    The four new tracks from The Solo Collection
    Show me the Money from Max Carl and Big Dance
    Desperado from the Dublin concert

and, of course, any recorded but, as yet, unreleased tracks.

Still, I'm happy there will be a release of something and a DVD of the Dublin show is something to look forward to. I just wish it had come out a lot sooner and saved me the money I spent on "No Fun Aloud", "Longbranch Pennywhistle" and the Dublin VHS tape.

I don't see his catalogue as being that small and at least it is of a fairly consistent standard. It's not as if the tracks that have been omitted are horrible - they include some of my favourites.
    I agree with that. Good suggestions. But I don't agree that the catalogue isn't small. Sadly, it is.

There were unused After Hours songs. I know for a fact he did Rainy Night In Georgia. Also there are live tracks which I am sure could be remastered. Videos of them exist & audios are on YouTube. They include:

Werewolves Of London (the version of Life In The Fast Lane from this show has vanished)
    All Shook Up
    What's Going On
    Cool Jerk
    Somewhree Somebody (another track with Max Carl)

Then there is the jazz version of The Heat Is On & the swamp version of Smuggler's Blues.

And the song which I saw live but have never found a version of it anywhere - Sam Cooke's I'll Come Running Back To You.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I loved 'I'll come Running back to you' so much - that was a great night
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Border Desperado

My Glenn Frey set will be here Friday. I am looking forward to the "Strange Weather" Concert. I had this on VHS way back in the day.
    I don't think we can rule out future releases, such as a complete collection, as has been suggested here.
    Look at how many Eagles sets have been released. This may have been dipping the toes in the water, to see how much interest there is in Glenn's solo work.
    I'd love a Glenn Frey Box set, similarly packaged to how the Eagles Studio Album collection is packaged.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    My Glenn Frey set will be here Friday. I am looking forward to the "Strange Weather" Concert. I had this on VHS way back in the day.
    I don't think we can rule out future releases, such as a complete collection, as has been suggested here.
    Look at how many Eagles sets have been released. This may have been dipping the toes in the water, to see how much interest there is in Glenn's solo work.
    I'd love a Glenn Frey Box set, similarly packaged to how the Eagles Studio Album collection is packaged.
    I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility that Glenn's complete catalog gets reissued (remastered) at some point and maybe there will be some kind of bonus tracks added then. I'm hoping for at least that because this forthcoming box set leaves me very dissatisfied. I already own everything on it in some form or another.

For me the Longbranch Pennywhistle album is the most interesting part, I always wanted a clearer and higher quality version of the album to hear songs like Star Spangled Bus which are well arranged, I think this is the album where Glenn's arrangement sense was first heard, also he has a few prominent vocal spots in Jubilee Ann Bring Back Funky Women and Don't Talk Now with the latter practically a Glenn Lead as he is far more audible then JD for a change. Only the last track is completely forgettable!
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes