Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: New Glenn Compilation

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: New Glenn Compilation

Quote Originally Posted by OntheBorder74 View Post
    For me the Longbranch Pennywhistle album is the most interesting part, I always wanted a clearer and higher quality version of the album to hear songs like Star Spangled Bus which are well arranged, I think this is the album where Glenn's arrangement sense was first heard, also he has a few prominent vocal spots in Jubilee Ann Bring Back Funky Women and Don't Talk Now with the latter practically a Glenn Lead as he is far more audible then JD for a change. Only the last track is completely forgettable!

Totally agree about Never Have Enough, which is an embarrassment.

However I still don't think this album should have been included in this box set.

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

https://pilotonline.com/entertainmen...4d1cf1a47.html

An article about the release including comments from Cindy and Deacon.

Stuck on the Border

Cindy's comments are very telling. If she's getting comfort from this, than more power to her. It is not for me to question how she feels about it particularly in relation to Deacon's participation.

My own feelings about it will never change.

Stuck on the Border

"Cindy Frey said she wants people to remember the diversity of her husband's sound"

That helps make sense of the choices for the collection and also for the inclusion of Longbranch Pennywhistle.

The LP CD is an unusual choice but it's something that shows what Glenn brought into the fledgling Eagles and it brings it to a wider audience than a separate release would have.

The Dublin DVD shows that he could put on a good show without Henley and co.

The variety of songs on the other two songs shows that there's more to his catalogue than "The Heat is On" and "You Belong to the City". Hopefully, it will make people want to hear even more.

I hadn't realised that it's released TOMORROW! It seemed so far away when I ordered.

From the UK's Daily Express:
    REISSUE OF THE WEEK: Glenn Frey – Above The Clouds: The Very Best Of… (UMC, 3CD, IDVD)
    Two years on from his untimely death, former Eagles founder Frey (right) gets a fitting tribute that proves both his group and solo work ran a lot deeper and wider than his most famous hit (and Beverly Hills Cop theme), The Heat Is On.
    Rating: 4/5

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Well mine has been dispatched- hopefully will arrive very soon.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Cindy's comments are very telling. If she's getting comfort from this, than more power to her. It is not for me to question how she feels about it particularly in relation to Deacon's participation.

I could not agree more.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

It's arrived. Everyone knows what to expect from the CDs and DVD, so I'll add that the package also includes a 20 page booklet with a write-up of Glenn's career written by someone called Ian McCann and a lot of photos from around 1992 (some alternates from the Strange Weather album cover shoot).

Since I wasn't able to get my ticket to see Donny and Marie in July(it sold out in just a few weeks after it was announced), I'm going to order it. I might do it after my cruise. I haven't thought about it yet. I'm saving money for cruise and then saving for New Orleans next month. I'm also still trying to get the HC boxset.

I have a bootleg version of the Dublin show. I've listen to a few of Longbranch Pennywhistle when they did the Eagles channel. I don't have that many of Glenn's songs on my phone other than he's big hits, but most of those songs I've listen to on IHeart Radio.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing the 20 page book. I love those.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Dang it - I got an email and won't be receiving mine until next week. That's why I dislike pre-ordering so much. However, I was afraid not to in this case because I didn't know how much luck I would have finding it in the retail stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

I totally agree with you as well, FP. As we've said before, the Eagles' music and Glenn's contributions are going to live on because it is great music. So, I have to respectfully disagree with Cindy that this current tour will do anything to add to that. I will continue to believe the best way to protect the band's legacy and honor Glenn's memory would have been to retire the band when Glenn passed. There are lots of other ways that the family and friends can help preserve Glenn's music and place in American rock history, but I don't want to take this thread too far off topic. However, this boxset is one of those ways, so I am thankful that it is being released.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Mine is arriving today but maddeningly, I am leaving for Nashville with my friend who is visiting in about an hour and will not be able to listen to it for a couple days. I am eager to see this booklet. Very exciting!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten