Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don Felder with Styx and REO at TaxSlayer Center Moline, IL 03/17/18

Default Don Felder with Styx and REO at TaxSlayer Center Moline, IL 03/17/18

So I just got back from the Don Felder, Styx, and REO concert. I have a mostly positive review to give of Don's set. But I have a couple complaints as well, as a diehard Eagles and Felder fan. It wasn't 100% perfect. I've seen much worse.

Don came out at 7PM (central) and opened with Already Gone. What a great opener. Hearing Don play his leads/solos over this was a real treat. It's probably my 2nd favorite Eagles song at this point and my favorite song to play live. He played for about 45 minutes. He ended it with Hotel California, of course.

He did the typical Eagles songs set. The only solo song played was Heavy Metal (Takin' A Ride). It got a great response, suprisingly a lot of people remember that song. No Road To Forever material. That's probably a good thing. RTF hasn't aged well, much like JW's Analog Man album. Originally loved them, now not so much.

I have to make a correction. I've long defended Felder's vocals as NOT being autotuned. That he was a great un-processed singer. That it was unthinkable.

I. Was. Wrong. He VERY MUCH uses Autotune on every single song. His band, the backup singers use it too, no lie. Very obvious on Seven Bridges Road. It sounded good because it was heavily processed and you could tell. Probably the song with the most Autotune of the night, by far. I wonder if I was the only one noticing.

Other than SBR, the Autotune didn't keep me from enjoying myself. SBR was good BUT it was like cheating and I think the vocals sounded robotic at times. DH's part was sang by the keyboard player. It was Autotuned less to my ear.

On HC, he brought out Tommy Shaw from Styx, Dave Amato from REO, and Bryan Hitt from REO. Don's drummer went backstage during this but Don's guitarist played on it still. It was really cool to see. I knew about this, but still.

All in all, good show but Don Felder would so much be better served with a new singer or two. And I have to eat my words on that he is a great singer with no help.... He's a good singer with Autotune. But Glenn and Don were right about him as a singer. It hurts me to say it, but it was wrong. It was hard to hear at times on the YouTube videos, but plain as day live. It got a little tiring at the end.

I don't want this to be a bashfest. I absolutely LOVED hearing Felder play guitar live. It was one of the best experiences ever. I just wish he had singers to compliment his great playing and the other great musicians in his solo band.

-Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Default Re: Don Felder with Styx and REO at TaxSlayer Center Moline, IL 03/17/18

Thanks for the review, Austin!

I think to anyone watching and listening closely, it's obvious Felder is getting "help" - but I think most people don't notice.

I'm surprised he's dropped all of his RTF stuff. I figured he would keep one song at least... but I guess it's old news now.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Rebel

Default Re: Don Felder with Styx and REO at TaxSlayer Center Moline, IL 03/17/18

Glad you enjoyed the guitar playing, even though the vocals weren't what you were hoping for. Sounds like it was still an enjoyable evening for you, WalshFan.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Thanks for the review, Austin!

I think to anyone watching and listening closely, it's obvious Felder is getting "help" - but I think most people don't notice.

I'm surprised he's dropped all of his RTF stuff. I figured he would keep one song at least... but I guess it's old news now.
    For me it wasn't convincing on the YouTube stuff. It wasn't until I heard it live that it was unrefutable. Although hindsight is 20/20, I pulled up some videos and now can hear it better, maybe because I heared it clearer live.

Yeah, I was also surprised by no Road To Forever. My favorite song on that is Girls In Black. But the whole album is not something I listen to anymore. I still listen to Airbourne from time to time. I feel like it's aged better than RTF.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by My My View Post
    Glad you enjoyed the guitar playing, even though the vocals weren't what you were hoping for. Sounds like it was still an enjoyable evening for you, WalshFan.
    Very much so. Getting to hear Felder play live was awesome. I just wish he'd get some singers in his band and stick to play guitar, and more of it and putting less of it on his guitarist in the band. I still feel it was a great show. But the vocals were the weakest link by a longshot. I feel that if he got some great singers, he'd be about the best "tribute" out there for hearing Eagles music. It doesn't bother me that he does pre-Felder material as it does some. My only complaint is vocals.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

I really want to see Felder play GUitar live. But to me his auto tune ruins it for me.

To me in this video it's loud and clear.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1gLAd-pNek

Tommy Shaw does not use Auto Tune. But he still sings better than Felder I like Juanes as well. Sorry Don

I love him as a Guitarist and he is a HUGE influence on me. The OOTN solo specifically with his picking has become my signature sound.

I might still see him live one day.

That’s too bad. I still plan on seeing him this October. I love fall from the grace of love on RTF. I feel that could have been a good song on LROOE. Is he still working on the next album?

Border Desperado

Great review, Austin. I'm glad your evening was enjoyable. As I have stated on this site before, it is really hard for me to form an accurate opinion about the performance of any band by only watching you tube videos. You see and hear so many more details at a live show.

Great review Austin! I have never been a fan of Don Felder's vocals but I think he does the best he can and give him an A for effort. Auto tune is a weird thing and I think I would have the same reaction as you and others. I love hearing him play guitar - he is so very talented and deserving of respect. I agree with your suggestion about getting more singers and maybe that will happen in the near future. I have always enjoyed Don Felder's easy going personality and love of music and performing. So glad you got to see him in person and thanks again for sharing your thoughts and opinions.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Great review, Austin! Glad you got to go and hear him live!

I've never been a fan of his voice, but he is unmistakably a great guitar player!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten