Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Song Survivor: On the Border

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Eagles Song Survivor: On the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I vote James dean

Lyrics hold this song big time. Love the music but lacks depth
    I have a different interpretation of this, YEF. I love James Dean, both musically and lyrically. When you consider that Dean was a 1950’s icon, the lyrics are very clever because they were written for the time period that he represented. While they may sound trite to some folks today, I think some of us more ‘mature’ fans probably appreciate them more. So would these lyrics work if written about any of today’s rebellious celebrities – I don’t think so … but the song still works for me because they are relatable to that time.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    It pains me, considering the name of the board, but I cast my vote for On the Border.

I like a lot of things about it, such as the groovy "On the Border" back-and-forth towards the end, but I don't think is melody its as strong as the other songs on the album. Plus, the line "foolin' with my baby on the telephone" - what does that even mean? Is that 70s slang for talking dirty on the telephone or does it mean they're just wasting time or joking around or what? Something that has always bugged me, lol.
    This gave me a giggle, Soda. I bet anyone who has ever been in a long distance relationship, like me, knows exactly what it means. Think of it as old-fashioned sexting.

And lastly, just when I thought Midnight Flyer was doomed, along comes big brother and says to Is It True ... 'you in some trouble, boy'. Poor Randy's taking a beating this round. I actually like all the songs on the album and I don't strongly dislike any Eagles song, but, of these two songs, I prefer Midnight Flyer. I'll have to wait to see how this round plays out before I decide how to vote though.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I'll stick with my same vote from the last round - On The Border.

Too bad about You Never Cry Like a Lover. I really like that one.

I am not casting a vote yet, but do have a few words in defense of Midnight Flyer. It’s more than just a bluegrass song. It’s a true collaborative effort by young musicians who bring their own flavor to an old Osborne Brothers standard. The tune itself is lively and upbeat, the lyrics, though not written by any band member, are an interesting reflection about the quest for freedom and ‘travelin on’ and the vocals are wonderful and clever (the whistling sound).

What really stands out is the instrumental outro where the guys show their musicianship—Bernie’s banjo, Glenn’s slide guitar and Randy’s bass shine here, and Henley’s drumming complements it all. No wonder it was part of their live set for a number of years. In the early days they played these long instrumental jams that seemed to have disappeared by 1975. But they still kept MF to show off their playing chops. This song is unique in their catalog for that reason, at least. Off the top of my head I cannot think of another song that comes close this instrumental outro.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    And lastly, just when I thought Midnight Flyer was doomed, along comes big brother and says to Is It True ... 'you in some trouble, boy'. Poor Randy's taking a beating this round.
    I know. What did Randy ever do to you people?! LOL

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    What did Randy ever do to you people?! LOL
    Is It True is my 3rd most favorite on this album and Midnight Flyer is 5th.

I'd like to say something else here. You Never Cry Like a Lover is the consensus weakest song on the album. IMHO, Bernie had two superior songs they could have used instead - Georgia Peach and a very nice ballad. He could have had that originally agreed upon second song. It would have saved them a lot of trouble.

Stuck on the Border

Too bad about You Never Cry Like a Lover. I really like that one.

I am not casting a vote yet, but do have a few words in defense of Midnight Flyer. It’s more than just a bluegrass song. It’s a true collaborative effort by young musicians who bring their own flavor to an old Osborne Brothers standard. The tune itself is lively and upbeat, the lyrics, though not written by any band member, are an interesting reflection about the quest for freedom and ‘travelin on’ and the vocals are wonderful and clever (the whistling sound).

What really stands out is the instrumental outro where the guys show their musicianship—Bernie’s banjo, Glenn’s slide guitar and Randy’s bass shine here, and Henley’s drumming complements it all. No wonder it was part of their live set for a number of years. In the early days they played these long instrumental jams that seemed to have disappeared by 1975. But they still kept MF to show off their playing chops. This song is unique in their catalog for that reason, at least. Off the top of my head I cannot think of another song that comes close this instrumental outro.
    I know What did Randy ever do to you people?! LOL
    Delilah - I agree - I have always loved Midnight Flyer. I love Bernie's, banjo, Glenn's slide guitar and of course Randy's voice. I think they did this all the way up to 1976. I think they do it at the Houston or Seattle 76' concerts if I remember right.

Dreamer - I love James Dean ! Although I was way too young for the James Dean mystic, I really love the song. I never "got" the whole mystic behind James Dean, but I could see Glenn and Jackson getting into it although they were not even 7 when he died.

I also find it a little bit strange that many people consider Midnight Flyer weaker than some other songs from the album, but of course I respect everyone's opinion. Later live versions were decent as well and Felder did a great job replacing Bernie on banjo.

NKIT - you're right, MF was a part of the setlist until 1976. They played in both Seattle and Houston (Seattle version is uploaded on youtube) and I've also heard some other versions from various bootlegs. I think they stopped doing MF, Doolin-Dalton and Outlaw Man at the same time (end of 76/beginning of 77).

I yet again vote for "My Man". But this time, there are a few who agree with me this time!

I quite like Midnight Flyer. I agree about it being weak in terms of depth and complexity. But I really don't care about the studio version of the song. Really do not like the studio version tbh. I like Walsh on slide better. My personal favorite version is 1976 Sydney.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    Is It True is my 3rd most favorite on this album and Midnight Flyer is 5th.

I'd like to say something else here. You Never Cry Like a Lover is the consensus weakest song on the album. IMHO, Bernie had two superior songs they could have used instead - Georgia Peach and a very nice ballad. He could have had that originally agreed upon second song. It would have saved them a lot of trouble.
    Ok, SS you now have me intrigued. Not only was there an agreement for a 2nd song, but Bernie had some sort of previously unknown “nice ballad”? That’s very interesting and would be great to hear, as well as a nice, clear recording of “Georgia Peach.” Surely Bernie has his own copies of those.

My guess is that with Bernie, Don and Randy already having one ballad each (and Glenn too if “Ol 55” counts as a ballad), there wasn’t room for another one. Also, “Georgia Peach” was probably not the direction they wanted to go. Yet they still played it live at some point. I wonder how it went over compared to YNCLAL.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

SS - Hmmmmm.......... Very interesting. I always loved "Georgia Peach" and I would love to know what the "nice ballad" was.
    Delilah, I agree, GP did not match the direction the band wanted to go. Still a great song though.

Not only was there an agreement for a 2nd song
    Well, supposedly that was the plan at the beginning that each member would get at least two songs on every album. Your other thoughts make a lot of sense