Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Song Survivor: On the Border

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles Song Survivor: On the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    It doesn't get any easier. This time, I vote for Already Gone even if it means I'll have to eat my lunch all by myself.

UTW -

At the the end of the day I have to agree with others who love GDIH - they made a strong case for why I should change my mind.

As such, I bid a fond farewell to Best of My Love.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Wow, this is getting tough...I can't vote against Ol' 55 or Good Day in Hell. I will therefore cast my vote for Best of My Love.

Wow. This has to be one of the earliest times BOML will have been voted off (if this trend continues). I don’t really listen to the studio recording anymore but I still love the song. When played live the harmonies are better imo. I think it’s too boring in the studio

I’m about as torn as anyone but Best of My Love, folks, really?

This was their first #1. Co-written by the wonderful writing team of Don H, Glenn and J.D. It has a cool story behind it about JD getting the call when he was playing pool and flying to London. Its success was driven by radio play. When it was played live, the whole band including Henley got upfront on stage together and and were close to the audience. I know we’re basing this on the studio version, but I believe it’s a testament to the strength and character of the album track when the live version is memorable and gets special treatment.

The song itself is so lovely and wonderfully arranged with those beautiful harmonies. The first few notes are a simple and delicate introduction followed by a great descending bass part before we hear Henley’s smoky yet tender vocals about a romance in trouble. Then pedal steel adds wonderful punctuation throughout. The backing vocals are simply gorgeous. The lyrics rank among their best, IMO and I bet most fans can recite them easily.

Someone started a thread about NKIT being their most underrated hit but I really believe BOML is. It seems to garner little attention and respect yet the tide turned for these guys as a result of this song. It deserves more than a 4th place finish, imho.

I’m not voting yet b/c I’m finding it really hard to choose between the band’s most edgy, seriously authentic rocker (with the possible exception of Those Shoes) and the poignant, emotionally touching Ol 55.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I vote for Ol' 55 again. Yes, it's a beautiful song, but I like it less than the remaining.

I love the remaining GDIH, BOML, and AG!

UtW,
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I’m about as torn as anyone but Best of My Love, folks, really?

This was their first #1. Co-written by the wonderful writing team of Don H, Glenn and J.D. It has a cool story behind it about JD getting the call when he was playing pool and flying to London. Its success was driven by radio play. When it was played live, the whole band including Henley got upfront on stage together and and were close to the audience. I know we’re basing this on the studio version, but I believe it’s a testament to the strength and character of the album track when the live version is memorable and gets special treatment.

The song itself is so lovely and wonderfully arranged with those beautiful harmonies. The first few notes are a simple and delicate introduction followed by a great descending bass part before we hear Henley’s smoky yet tender vocals about a romance in trouble. Then pedal steel adds wonderful punctuation throughout. The backing vocals are simply gorgeous. The lyrics rank among their best, IMO and I bet most fans can recite them easily.

Someone started a thread about NKIT being their most underrated hit but I really believe BOML is. It seems to garner little attention and respect yet the tide turned for these guys as a result of this song. It deserves more than a 4th place finish, imho.

I’m not voting yet b/c I’m finding it really hard to choose between the band’s most edgy, seriously authentic rocker (with the possible exception of Those Shoes) and the poignant, emotionally touching Ol 55.
    Well as some folks said, based on Studio version, that's why I am voting this song. In terms of live versions, Best of My Love is 100x better than Ol'55!
    The chemistry... nuff said

Soda and I seem to be in the same mind set. Absolutely adore Ol' 55.

Please cast my vote for Good Day In Hell.

Border Troubadour

I vote Good Day in Hell. Not fond of BOML but if my maths is correct then GDIH has more votes thus far, ergo stands the best chance of saving my beloved Ol' 55.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Vote Good Day in Hell off this round. I love Ol 55 and would rather keep that one.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP