Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Photo Analysis

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Photo Analysis

I'm curious - which OOTN photos did you pick?

This one:

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Soda. I don't know if you do this every year, but you should. Its funny to hear their opinion especially a different class every year.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

We usually analyze a magazine ad and talk about the way visual rhetoric is used to manipulate the consumer (or, to put it more generously, communicate the seller's message to the consumer).

We talked about that with this photo, too, because it's being used to promote the band commercially, particularly to sell concert tickets; however, I didn't put that part of the discussion here because it's the "academic" part of the discussion and not nearly as fun, lol.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Oh my freaking god. Timothy

Can’t belive they thought he was an agreessive ex convict. Haha

They got Don pretty right lol

Stuck on the Border

They were probably thinking of people who already know who they are when they were posing. If they were trying only to reach new audiences Timothy probably wouldn't pose like an ex-convict.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    This one:

Thanks. I wonder how they would analyze that one. For me, that's a "together against the world" pose. The one thing that hasn't changed over the years is the glaring at the camera.

ETA: for clarity, my comment about "together against he world" was about the OOTN photo.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 05-26-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Stuck on the Border

When I made comments about Schmit's stance in that photo a while ago I was pilloried for it.

I think it's pretty sad that a rock band or what passes for it thinks 'together against the world' is an appropriate attitude to take. I suppose they have to be defensive & aggressive these days. They can't be relaxed any more in the situation they are in.

ETA: Noted, UTW, but sadly I think your comment does apply to the new photo.
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-26-2018 at 08:52 PM.

Border Desperado

Freypower---I briefly thought about the reaction you received about Timothy's stance. I wondered if the difference might be that these are college students with little or no knowledge of the band and their music while you are very informed about the Eagles. I will always believe that all of their clothing, stances and facial expressions from the first publicity picture decades ago through the most recent were intentional. If you've ever seen one of Timorhy's solo shows then you know he has a great sense of humor and is somewhat self-deprecating. My opinion is that Timothy delights in putting forth that cross armed-serious faced persona. It is my feeling that they all are aware that their photos could possibly provoke unfavorable responses but probably don't care after the thousands of pictures of them that have been published. I did find the interpretations from Soda's students of the picture to be very interesting, entertaining and sometimes laughable.