Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo Analysis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Photo Analysis

Note: This was inspired by a discussion that took place in another thread.

I just assigned the visual analysis of the image - due Friday!

I gave them these three questions, although we can discuss more in class.

1. Based solely on this photograph, describe what you think each of the men is conveying in terms of personality / attitude, and how you came to that conclusion.

2. Why do you think the photographer chose that type of couch in that type of room, lighting, etc... what is the vibe he/she was going for in presenting the band?

3. Assess the photo overall. Do you think this photo will be effective in getting people to buy concert tickets? Why or why not?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

Happy Dance! Great questions should be very interesting!

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Default Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

I too am very interested to hear their responses. I don’t like the photo but we’ll see how they feel with little to no attachment to the band

Stuck on the Border

Very Cool project Soda ! Wish I had it in one of my college English classes. Do your students know who the rock group is ? I can't wait to hear what they say and hear it from a young person's perspective. Should be very interesting.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

This is hilarious, I can't believe you gave it to your students, Soda. Thank you! Can't wait to see the results. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Very Cool project Soda ! Wish I had it in one of my college English classes. Do your students know who the rock group is ? I can't wait to hear what they say and hear it from a young person's perspective. Should be very interesting.
    I didn't mention any names. I just said "a band." I know at least a couple of my students are fans of the Eagles' music but none of them have to been to any shows, at least not that I'm aware of. They probably won't realize that the guy in the sunglasses standing is the same guy with the curly 'fro on the back of their parent's Hotel California CD.

I usually give my students an advertisement to analyze for this assignment, but I think this should be more interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I just assigned the visual analysis of the image - due Friday!

I gave them these three questions, although we can discuss more in class.

1. Based solely on this photograph, describe what you think each of the men is conveying in terms of personality / attitude, and how you came to that conclusion.

2. Why do you think the photographer chose that type of couch in that type of room, lighting, etc... what is the vibe he/she was going for in presenting the band?

3. Assess the photo overall. Do you think this photo will be effective in getting people to buy concert tickets? Why or why not?
    Hahahah That is a great assignment.

I have a stupid issue paper where we have to chose a topic about current events FOR ENGLISH.

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    Hahahah That is a great assignment.

I have a stupid issue paper where we have to chose a topic about current events FOR ENGLISH.
    Oh, they just turned in their research papers today. This is a nice little ice cream cone of an assignment for them while they recuperate.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Oh, they just turned in their research papers today. This is a nice little ice cream cone of an assignment for them while they recuperate.

Banned

Cool Re: Looks like The Band is on a full fledged tour next year! How do you feel about th

The guys in that pic look a bit… stiff. Maybe that's what the photographer wanted. Joe Walsh has always looked as if he's trying to swallow a mouthful of homemade minestrone soup, if you ask me.*

(Maybe you remember that, when the Desperado album was released, many people were critical of all the guns and shooting that the promo pics had. Frey pointed out that Western films had always been popular worldwide, guns or not, and that "the whole point of the thing [the Desperado album] wasn't to glorify violence or guns or any of that s--t. (We) were trying to show how being on the road as a band was like being a bunch of outlaws back in the Old West. Well, something like that, anyway."

*Which you didn't.