Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Photo Analysis

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Photo Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by WKMB55 View Post
    Freypower---I briefly thought about the reaction you received about Timothy's stance. I wondered if the difference might be that these are college students with little or no knowledge of the band and their music while you are very informed about the Eagles. I will always believe that all of their clothing, stances and facial expressions from the first publicity picture decades ago through the most recent were intentional. If you've ever seen one of Timorhy's solo shows then you know he has a great sense of humor and is somewhat self-deprecating. My opinion is that Timothy delights in putting forth that cross armed-serious faced persona. It is my feeling that they all are aware that their photos could possibly provoke unfavorable responses but probably don't care after the thousands of pictures of them that have been published. I did find the interpretations from Soda's students of the picture to be very interesting, entertaining and sometimes laughable.
    No, they don't have to care about my opinion or anyone else's. The fact that I took such exception to it is probably the reaction they wanted, who knows?

I agree that the responses of Soda's students were interesting, etc, but I feel that I shouldn't make any further comments about it. I just thought it was ironic how some of them echoed a few thoughts of mine, however unkowingly.

Border Desperado

Freypower, I feel bad that your past experience on this subject has made you hesitant to comment but I totally understand. I agree with the observations that you made in post #81 in this thread.
    Last edited by WKMB55; 05-26-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    When I made comments about Schmit's stance in that photo a while ago I was pilloried for it.

I think it's pretty sad that a rock band or what passes for it thinks 'together against the world' is an appropriate attitude to take. I suppose they have to be defensive & aggressive these days. They can't be relaxed any more in the situation they are in.

ETA: Noted, UTW, but sadly I think your comment does apply to the new photo.
    For the record, FP, I thought the response to your comment was over the top. I agreed. That pic is not a good one and everyone looks like they hate each other.

I think it's quite interesting what the students thought. I thought they were pretty far off with Tim, but spot on with everyone else. Especially Don. I for one would love to see this type of analysis from them again in future "Eagles" photos.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Border Rebel

Loved these observations by students with little or no prior exposure to the Eagles. Some of them were so on track, It's interesting that they picked up that Vince is somewhat of an outsider. He did make the statement that he's new to the group so he does what he's told to do, so that part was accurate, too. The thoughts on his musical ability were far from spot-on, though.

The comments on Joe were pretty funny and some were pretty accurate, too. It's funny they thought they saw a whole Deacon being torn between Joe and Don thing. Some of it was because they thought he was Don's son. I wonder if there's any truth to that? (Um, not being Don's son -- don't want to start any of THOSE rumors -- but that he feels torn in loyalties between Don and Joe. )

I thought it was very perceptive that they picked out Don as the leader/lead singer who has to have everything perfect, even though he and Timothy both have aggressive stances in the photo. I'm sure Timothy's stance is why his analysis was the least accurate.

Soda, did the students comment at all on the overall effectiveness of the photo as a publicity spot? Just curious as I know many of the Borderers commented on that. Thanks for posting the results of this fun exercise!

The kids' comments are too funny! How much can be read into just one picture!
    My first reaction to the photo was that it wasn't very balanced or cohesive. It's not particularly flattering of anyone. They look like (to me) they have grown weary of the photo session and are thinking, "Just take the picture already!".
    I thought the other photo was much better. I would be intererested to know what the publicity people thought they were projecting with the new pic.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Reading the feedback from your students was a hoot, Soda. This exercise was probably more entertaining for us than it was for them.

I found the interpretations quite interesting. And FP, even though you were attacked for your opinions about the picture, I guess you can take solace that you weren't so harsh after all. At least, you didn't call Tim an aggressive, hostile ex-convict.

However, I never thought the vibe of this particular publicity photo was very much different from some in the past when Glenn was alive. It would really be interesting to have another set of students analyze one of those for comparison.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    It makes me wonder though what specifically about Joe indicates that he’s been with a lot of women! Maybe his confident stance.
    I think his leather clothes, sunglasses and dyed hair give off a “dress to impress” kind of vibe. Plus he has his guitar right next to him and looks like he’s been around the block “a time or two.”

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    LOL Poor Vince. They are right about him being the friendliest, he does tell jokes, is happy to be there and wants to be accepted (I wonder if they mean by fans or his band mates)and he probably will do what they tell him since he's the newbie and doesn't want to get on the bad side of Don or Irving. Going through a midlife crisis. LOL

Yikes!!! Older than the other. He's the second to the youngest. I wonder how old they think he is.

Thanks again, Soda.
    I agree with you, Shun! I can’t believe they thought he was older than the rest. Maybe Vince should consult with Don and Joe’s cosmetologist/Botox technician, LOL. He’s not standing up straight like the others and his head is slightly cocked to one side. It does seem like he’s kind of set apart from the rest.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I think his leather clothes, sunglasses and dyed hair give off a “dress to impress” kind of vibe. Plus he has his guitar right next to him and looks like he’s been around the block “a time or two.”

I agree with you, Shun! I can’t believe they thought he was older than the rest. Maybe Vince should consult with Don and Joe’s cosmetologist/Botox technician, LOL. He’s not standing up straight like the others and his head is slightly cocked to one side. It does seem like he’s kind of set apart from the rest.
    Vince really doesn't look old. I really don't want him to mess with Botox. I have no idea if he dyes his hair (he probably does), but his hair is turning gray.

His beard (which he doesn't have here) makes him a little old like Timothy and sometimes Don(when he has facial hair) makes them older especially when your facial hair is different from your hair color. Thank goodness Joe got rid of that mustache.

Half the time, not everybody is standing up straight. I notice that in a lot of their pictures over the years.

I'm trying to figure how they can tell from the picture that Joe is the oldest when he's the baby of Timothy and Don.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 05-27-2018 at 11:01 PM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    Oh my. Timothy is the drummer. They are definitely way off with Timothy. Yikes! An ex-convict. Lol Maybe Timothy has a mean side to him we don't know about.

Well. They were spot on with Don. I'm surprised they didn't say what instrument he playing, but he is behind or in the the back.

I'm trying to figure out what makes them think Deacon is Don's son.
    Yeah, how well do any of us know Timothy, really? LOL, jk, the comments are so out there...I kind of expected some “mountain man” comments b/c of the beard but an ex-convict?

I hadn’t commented earlier about the photo, mainly b/c it didn’t seem that big of a deal. It was just a band picture. There were plenty of them in the 70s where, as was said earlier, they looked like they were “glaring.” I did notice Timothy’s stance and I can see how some people may think he looks triumphant or maybe defiant (but not angry—that is a head scratcher for me) but my take is that he was just trying something different, to exude more confidence. Nothing wrong with that. Although apparently the students construed it differently.

I’m impressed the students picked up on Don’s perfectionism and intensity. And that the guys thought he stood out as the leader.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

I wonder if Joe didn't have the guitar, would they still think he was the guitarist or lead guitarist. The same with Deacon. They thought Timothy was the drummer because of his arms. I didn't know drummers had a certain type of arms. Take away their guitars, it might had been a whole different analysis.

I don't remember any pictures of the guys with their instruments in a group picture. I know they have in their individual pictures. I could be wrong with group pictures.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley