Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Alan Frey Interviews with John Beaudin

Default Re: Glenn Videos on YouTube and other video sites

Part 2 of John Beaudin's interview with Alan Frey is out. I saw some pictures I've never seen before in the video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en2XBN_4OkM[/ame]
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 04-12-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Glenn Videos on YouTube and other video sites

Thanks shun - Since there are multiple videos, I think I'm going to give them their own thread.

ETA: Done!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Alan Frey Interviews with John Beaudin

I'm going at a slight tangent here but I'm aware that we have at least one journalist here.

Some people are natural (or practiced) storytellers and you can just let the tape run. However, many people need help in constructing a coherent and interesting story. How do you do this? With someone like Alan Frey, how would you get him to tell the stories that we want to hear? Do you agree structure and content in advance? How do you get beyond the vague and general?

With the Alan Frey, I find that I want to know what it felt like to have a brother in a famous group? How did his friends react? Did he have any specific memories about the people he encountered at the Asylum office? What's the story behind his comment about his dissatisfaction with his life back in Michigan and that it lasted for 15 years? Was he musically inclined himself? When his parents allowed him to spend summers in LA, did they have any idea of the lifestyle? Did Glenn take care of him? Did it change the way his family lived? Did he go out on tour and how was that? What about the girls and the drugs?

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I'm going at a slight tangent here but I'm aware that we have at least one journalist here.

Some people are natural (or practiced) storytellers and you can just let the tape run. However, many people need help in constructing a coherent and interesting story. How do you do this? With someone like Alan Frey, how would you get him to tell the stories that we want to hear? Do you agree structure and content in advance? How do you get beyond the vague and general?

With the Alan Frey, I find that I want to know what it felt like to have a brother in a famous group? How did his friends react? Did he have any specific memories about the people he encountered at the Asylum office? What's the story behind his comment about his dissatisfaction with his life back in Michigan and that it lasted for 15 years? Was he musically inclined himself? When his parents allowed him to spend summers in LA, did they have any idea of the lifestyle? Did Glenn take care of him? Did it change the way his family lived? Did he go out on tour and how was that? What about the girls and the drugs?
    I know what you mean but I think even though I would love answers o all those questions you have to be careful, if he is estranged from Glenn and hasnt done an interview on him before not to mention after his recent passing he may not be able to answer too many details about Glenn or their relationship. I really want to know more about Glenn pre-Eagles like late 60s when there was some struggle as I have heard so much about after their success
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Sorry to overpost but another thing I found interesting was that Glenn went to LA in 66 with three friends and they all returned and he stayed. Same thing happened with Richie Furay when he went to New York as Folkie with some friends I guess it separates the dreamers from the pack. Also interesting it took him a couple years or so before him and JD became a duo, I read it they only became a duo after leaving the two sisters they were seeing and getting their own place. cool to see how it all lines up in the chronology
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by OntheBorder74 View Post
    Sorry to overpost but another thing I found interesting was that Glenn went to LA in 66 with three friends and they all returned and he stayed. Same thing happened with Richie Furay when he went to New York as Folkie with some friends I guess it separates the dreamers from the pack. Also interesting it took him a couple years or so before him and JD became a duo, I read it they only became a duo after leaving the two sisters they were seeing and getting their own place. cool to see how it all lines up in the chronology
    OTB - Glenn went to LA in 1967, stayed a few weeks and then went home to Michigan(he was in college). He did not move permanently to LA until late '68 or early '69.
    As a side note, according to a story I read when Glenn passed, Alan was with him sitting vigil with Cindy and family when he died.

UTW - Agree with everything you said. That guy was a terrible interviewer. I also wondered if his parents knew what was going on when they let Alan stay for three summers. I don't think my parents would let me go.

Well, when you're talking to someone who isn't really accustomed to talking to the media, and it's a phone interview (which I'm pretty sure this was), it's hard to establish the rapport you need to get someone to open up. Still, a good interviewer can usually do it.
    I think Beaudin mentioned Alan contacted him because he's been more even-handed in his reporting about the Eagles, and Alan appreciated that. So it may have been a "let's get him on tape while he's willing to talk" kind of situation, and Beaudin may not have been as prepared with his questions as he should have been.
    I suspect Alan, seeing big brother have such wild success in music, thought he'd try his hand, and it took him 15 years to figure out it might not work.
    I ran across this picture last night, looking for a good one to post on the photo thread. I said, "Looks like Glenn, sort of, but it's not Glenn." No, it was Alan. But I think this pic answers a lot of questions.

Stuck on the Border

Hi Pippin -That is his youngest brother Matt. He is discussed in a thread "The Third Brother". I remember reading somewhere that Alan went on tour with the Eagles when he was 18 working as a roadie. Glenn found out he was using coke and freaked out on him. There is a story somewhere in the threads about it. His brother Matt used to have a FB site for his band. They had a video where you could hear them play. They did not sound too good.
    I would not be surprised if what you said is why Alan was so unsettled for 15 years. According to the story I read where Alan gave a short statement when Glenn passed, he works as a mechanic.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 04-13-2018 at 10:04 AM.

@NKIT-- Thanks for the correction! Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read online! LOL. The person who posted this said it was Alan, and I didn't know any better. I hadn't seen it.

Somehow, that makes a lot of sense that Glenn would have a fit if he found out little bro was using. It tells you a lot about Glenn. Protective big brother. "I can do it because I KNOW what I'm doing, but YOU can't!"

I looked at this pic, though, and saw Matt plays a Takamine guitar, and if I'm not mistaken, that's Glenn's turquoise cuff on his left wrist. Or one just like it.

It has to be hard to want to do the music thing like your very famous sibling, but you're NOT your sibling. Mike McCartney, Paul's little brother, found that out, too. Talent like that doesn't often visit the same family more than once. It can happen, obviously, but it's not frequent.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OntheBorder74 View Post
    That struck me about Randy's journey as well: he went out to L.A. in 1966 with his band at the time. They went through very lean, hard times and over several years nearly everyone quit and drifted away except Randy. He kept hanging in there and eventually things turned around for him, but he still struggled for years. You get an idea about the determination needed to succeed as a musician.