Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ann Wilson's tribute to Glenn

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Ann Wilson's tribute to Glenn

Very strange that she would choose a song sung by Don than one by Glenn when it is his tribute.

I love Heart too.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I would much rather her sing a Glenn song if she's going to pay tribute to him. Still, nice gesture. I love Heart.
    Same there are still so many to choose form, frankly many eagles songs have a strong link to glenn but one in which he personally sang would be good for interpretation and the very least considering it's a tribute to him personally even though much of the eagles legacy is also a part of his legacy. I would lvoe to hear her do already gone outlaw man heartche tonight etc one of Frey's tough rockers she ocudl bring the house down with the three I mentioned
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm very pleased about Ann including a tribute to Glenn on her album, although Heartache Tonight would have been my choice.

However, I think LIFL is a lot more closely associated with Glenn than many people realize. Glenn was definitely the inspiration behind the concept of the song, and from all that I've read and heard, probably primarily responsible for the music and lyrics. I also think it's telling that in 'The Very Best of the Eagles' booklet, Don does not even comment about the song. He also says very little, if anything, about it in the HOTE documentary.

I have always said this is the song off of the HC album that Glenn should have sung to give him another lead vocal. I think the only reason that Don sang it is because Glenn thought Don's voice was more 'rock 'n roll' than his. I've heard Glenn sing it and I think he does a great job with it - not saying his rendition is better than Don's, but it is equally as good. So in many ways, it is 'Glenn's baby'.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I wasn't saying Glenn had nothing to do with LITFL, just that it's not one people associate with him. I wonder if that's true, that Glenn wrote most of the music and lyrics, apart from Joe's riff, and Henley had little to do with it. I'm interested in who wrote what in their songs from what I've read, they didn't like to say.

I had no idea Glenn sang LITFL, is there a video somewhere?

It is nice that Ann is including Glenn, though. Other artists she is covering include David Bowie, Tom Petty, Amy Winehouse, and Chris Cornell.

Quote from Joe, who is also a co-writer of LITFL:

And [Frey and Henley] said, "Well, there's our Joe Walsh Eagles song!" Don and Glenn, but mostly Don, put the words together, and Glenn kind of arranged it. And there it was. So it's a Walsh/Henley/Frey tune, and I'm really proud of it.
    ”Joe Walsh: My Life in 15 Songs” Rolling Stone, May 19, 2016

ETA: I would love to hear Glenn’s version of this. You’re welcome, Dreamer.
    Last edited by Delilah; 04-19-2018 at 02:48 PM.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Yep groupie - I agree that most people don't associate LIFL with Glenn as much as Don even though, as I said, I think that is somewhat of a misnomer. Of course, I don't have any hard evidence about who wrote what parts of the song, but in reading between the lines in many comments, interviews, etc., Glenn is the one that usually talks about how the song was written. Off the top of my head, I can't recall any remarks Don has made about it. So, to be clear, this is speculation on my part. I looked on GlennFreyOnline to see if Soda had a download posted of Glenn performing the song, but I didn't see one. The only ones I have are bootlegs where he performed it solo or with Joe in their Party of Two shows.

ETA: Delilah and I were posting at the same time. So thanks for the quote, Delilah. That's the only comment I can remember reading specifically about who wrote what. I don't recall ever hearing Glenn or Don discuss the specifics. As I mentioned, I don't remember Don saying much of anything about it, but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 04-19-2018 at 02:47 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Well, it was Glenn's baby since he had the basic idea in his head before anyone had any music or specific lyrics. Joe did have the lick, but he wasn't going to do anything with it.

As for the music, Felder contributed too. The second riff after the intro - when the actual drum beat starts - came from him. Felder said in his book that the track "definitely became Joe's" (or something like that), but there wasn't that much to "write" in the I, IV, V chord progression.
    Last edited by chaim; 04-19-2018 at 03:15 PM.

I figure we haven't heard much from Don about LITFL because, well, how do you top a story that starts, "I was riding in a Corvette with my drug dealer on the way to a poker game and we were both holding. BIG time..."

Not much you can say after that. LOLOLOL.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I'm very pleased about Ann including a tribute to Glenn on her album, although Heartache Tonight would have been my choice.

However, I think LIFL is a lot more closely associated with Glenn than many people realize. Glenn was definitely the inspiration behind the concept of the song, and from all that I've read and heard, probably primarily responsible for the music and lyrics. I also think it's telling that in 'The Very Best of the Eagles' booklet, Don does not even comment about the song. He also says very little, if anything, about it in the HOTE documentary.

I have always said this is the song off of the HC album that Glenn should have sung to give him another lead vocal. I think the only reason that Don sang it is because Glenn thought Don's voice was more 'rock 'n roll' than his. I've heard Glenn sing it and I think he does a great job with it - not saying his rendition is better than Don's, but it is equally as good. So in many ways, it is 'Glenn's baby'.
    I have always considered the lyrics of this song to be predominantly Henley's as are the majority of the album's lyrics. Yes, it would have been nice if Glenn had sung it. It would have lessened the overwhelming sense of this being 'Henley's album'.

It is indeed ironic that a tribute to Glenn is being done of a song he didn't actually sing. Even with this he is marginalised although in Ann Wilson's case I doubt she means it that way. At least she's doing it.

Well, FP, you may be right. I guess we'll never know for certain about the lyrics now unless Don speaks about it sometime in the future. I think it's natural that people assume it was more of a Don song since he sings lead. As I said before, I just always got the feeling based on all of the collective information that I've read or heard, that the song was primarily Glenn's.

But, I'm sure that Ann's heart is in the right place, which is the most important thing.