Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fake Reviews ???

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Fake Reviews ???

There has been some discussion in another thread about what seems to be a recent practice of bands paying ‘critics’ to write positive reviews. Without targeting any band in particular, I thought this may make for a good general discussion. Is this something akin to our current day environment of ‘fake news’? Are you okay with this new decorum or do you see it as a disingenuous attempt to sway fans or are you somewhere in between?

Here is a link that Dawn posted to the the NNR site, which is an entity that seems to be engaging in this kind of marketing technique ...

https://www.nationalrockreview.com/about-nrr

====================================

"Whether you’re a national record label, a publicist representing artists, or even an upcoming hard-working band looking for national exposure, National Rock Review staff can help deliver your message and music to the global entertainment market."

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border BerniesSurfboard's Avatar

Default Re: Fake Reviews ???

To me, this sort of falls in line with radio and TV spots. I think business types will always find creative ways to market their product to the masses.

To avoid this, people have to try and locate legitimate sources.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

A marketing service that includes "concert reviewers" in its offerings is definitely suspect. But, maybe marketing firms have always provided that product to bands and we just didn't see it in their written materials. I can see up and coming bands paying for a review and then posting it to their social media.

As for the Eagles, considering they don't even take advantage of Twitter or Instagram, which are FREE, to promote ticket sales, I seriously doubt they would pay reviewers in cities that they play in year after year, certainly not random freelance reviewers. Reviews during the HoTE tour were overwhelmingly positive and the reviews for the current tour are in line with those.

If the reviewer is a regular reviewer for a major metropolitan daily newspaper, I would tend to not think that s/he has not been paid by the band, but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    A marketing service that includes "concert reviewers" in its offerings is definitely suspect. But, maybe marketing firms have always provided that product to bands and we just didn't see it in their written materials. I can see up and coming bands paying for a review and then posting it to their social media.

As for the Eagles, considering they don't even take advantage of Twitter or Instagram, which are FREE, to promote ticket sales, I seriously doubt they would pay reviewers in cities that they play in year after year, certainly not random freelance reviewers. Reviews during the HoTE tour were overwhelmingly positive and the reviews for the current tour are in line with those.

If the reviewer is a regular reviewer for a major metropolitan daily newspaper, I would tend to not think that s/he has not been paid by the band, but you never know.
    Here is the review of recent Eagles concert Chicago 2018

March 2018

https://www.nationalrockreview.com/c...ter-chicago-il
    Last edited by Dawn; 04-21-2018 at 01:35 AM.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

They also did a review of Jimmy Buffet at Royal Farms Arena in Baltimore

https://www.nationalrockreview.com/c...n-baltimore-md

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Here's the only other Eagles-related review I could find - notice the common denominator?

https://www.nationalrockreview.com/c...e-ky-14-aug-16

It's JD and the Straight Shot - bolded in the first sentence under the headline in both reviews. Blechh.

The reviewer of the Eagles show is a photographer:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/kirstine...=page_internal

I also saw one for the Doobie Brothers UK concert in 2017.

I have noticed that of the three reviews each writer is also credited with a photo of the band they reviewed.

Stuck on the Border

I'd understand a young act paying for good reviews (if they - ironically enough - can afford to), but not old, established acts. I wouldn't judge an old band paying for good reviews, I just wouldn't understand it. Having said that there are lines that shouldn't be crossed. Paying for stuff like "they're equally as good, perhaps even better without their dead founder" would be absolutely out of the question. I don't think Eagles have paid for such statements though, if they have paid for any reviews for that matter.

Stuck on the Border

I read a few of the reviews - Eagles, Marillion, The Pretenders and a band I've never heard of. They have a similar format - a summary of the band's prior successful history and major events, blurb about their latest recording and then a very positive "review" of the concert itself. Writing negatively about a deceased or former member wouldn't fit the model but saying they're as good as they ever were would.

For long-established bands, it's about reassuring readers that they are still worth seeing. It's also about making those who have bought tickets feel better about that decision.

Stuck on the Border

Yes, "good as ever" is nicer than "they've lost nothing with the passing of..." But anyway, I don't think anyone's cold enough to actually pay for the latter.