Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Fake Reviews ???

Default Re: Fake Reviews ???

Very interesting, thanks Mary, I agree with the writer and feel he makes a good argument.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Here is something interesting and relevant to this thread from Instagram this morning. Jerry Saltz is a Senior Art Critic for New York Magazine, here is his post:

"Why is most current art-criticism positive? *NO* editor dissuades critics from writing negatively. Ever. Let me say that again: Critics are allowed to write WHATEVER they think about an artist. I believe that being critical of art is a way of showing art respect. No one would write that every play by the NY METS is great; or every movie; or every meal. Yet most art reviews are glowing/positive. What has happened to critics? Is this inclination, fear, the academy scaring the shit out of young writers, what?"

Sounds like the 100%-positive-review culture is alive in other areas of the arts, too.

Wow, Thanks for finding that Mary - very interesting. I have noticed mostly positive reviews for things lately. However, my local newspaper gave the recent Bon Jovi concert at the Prudential Center a bad review. He said Bon Jovi's voice was gone and he sounded terrible !

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Wow, Thanks for finding that Mary - very interesting. I have noticed mostly positive reviews for things lately. However, my local newspaper gave the recent Bon Jovi concert at the Prudential Center a bad review. He said Bon Jovi's voice was gone and he sounded terrible !
    Thanks NKIT ... Yep interesting some reviewers actually can get denied access to a concert.

----------------------------

By Bobby Olivier | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Bon Jovi doesn’t want you to read this concert review.

I’ve covered hundreds of performances over the years, providing my fair share of criticism, and only twice have I personally been denied access to a show, due to what was deemed unsavory previous coverage: both denials came from New Jersey’s own rock icons, all because I noted that Jon Bon Jovi’s voice is shot — which it is.

Read more at the link

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/musi...al_center.html

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Thanks NKIT ... Yep interesting some reviewers actually can get denied access to a concert.

----------------------------

By Bobby Olivier | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Bon Jovi doesn’t want you to read this concert review.

I’ve covered hundreds of performances over the years, providing my fair share of criticism, and only twice have I personally been denied access to a show, due to what was deemed unsavory previous coverage: both denials came from New Jersey’s own rock icons, all because I noted that Jon Bon Jovi’s voice is shot — which it is.

Read more at the link

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/musi...al_center.html

Yep, that's it Dawn. I have never been to a Bon Jovi Concert but he sounded ok at the R & RHOF Ceremony. I have some friends who are die hard BJ fans and went to this concert. They thought it was great. However they are so hard core BJ fans they would go to any concert he does. Kinda like the Bruce fans here.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Yep, that's it Dawn. I have never been to a Bon Jovi Concert but he sounded ok at the R & RHOF Ceremony. I have some friends who are die hard BJ fans and went to this concert. They thought it was great. However they are so hard core BJ fans they would go to any concert he does. Kinda like the Bruce fans here.

Thanks NKIT, I actually enjoyed this review - IMHO the critic does not come across as unduly unfair or unsavory - and it is interesting to note that critics can be denied access to a show by virtue of their review track record. I truly did not know this but not at all surprised.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

It seems so petty for any artist or sports team to deny a press pass to a journalist who has criticized them in the past. Man up and invite your most vocal critics, I say. It's pretty obvious when a reviewer simply detests the band and is being snarky, versus when s/he is making valid critiques about the actual performance.