Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fake Reviews ???

Border Rebel

Default Re: Fake Reviews ???

I agree with the other MC. I don't think many established, successful bands would pay for good reviews. Most of the Eagles" reviews have been from reputable papers.

I don't really like the implication that just because most of the reviews of the current shows are positive, there must be a hidden reason for it.

It couldn't possibly be that the shows are good and people actually LIKE them. (Gasp!)

Does National Rock Review contract with a band's management/publicity representatives for a fee to attend concerts and write reviews like the one for the Eagles and Jimmy Buffet, and others published on their website?

That's the central question. A simple yes or no will suffice.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Does National Rock Review contract with a band's management/publicity representatives for a fee to attend concerts and write reviews like the one for the Eagles and Jimmy Buffet, and others published on their website?

That's the central question. A simple yes or no will suffice.
    Excuse me, but that's not the original question that Dreamer asked. Her question is broader than that and the thread title is "Fake Reviews???"

And I'm sorry if you'd like me to keep my answer to yes or no, but I am entitled to state my opinion as to where this question is coming from. I can read between the lines as well as anyone. Is that why you're upset with my post?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well – I also said in the OP that this was supposed to be a general discussion, not about any band in particular, which is why I put it in this forum rather than the Eagles forum. However, that directive was predictably ignored by the second response. So, if you want to discuss the Eagles, then fine, as long as the discussion remains respectful.

First of all, Eagles reviews from past tours, including the HOTE, have never been overwhelmingly positive. As expected, there have always been detractors of the band who write some goofy and sometimes even nasty reviews. This hasn’t happened at all going back to last year’s East/West Classic shows as far as I’m aware. Now, I acknowledge that this tour is still relatively young, so it could still happen. And I don’t have an explanation for this any more than any one else, but it does make some of us wonder why. So, it is an oddity and a legitimate question to ponder. I’m not saying this tour isn’t enjoyable for the fans that attend, but I don’t believe for a second that these shows are any more enjoyable than the band’s previous tours.

Now, back to the original question, if there is money actually being exchanged to write positive reviews, then I do personally have an issue with that practice. As I said elsewhere, it just seems backwards and kind of 'icky' to me. In the past, if a critic liked a band, they would write genuinely positive reviews and vice versa. Nowadays, it appears as if bands are paying 'critics' to write positive reviews whether they really like the band or not. For me, that makes it hard to trust that what I read is genuine.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    Excuse me, but that's not the original question that Dreamer asked. Her question is broader than that and the thread title is "Fake Reviews???"

And I'm sorry if you'd like me to keep my answer to yes or no, but I am entitled to state my opinion as to where this question is coming from. I can read between the lines as well as anyone. Is that why you're upset with my post?
    I am not upset by your post or any other post.

The point is there are services who are in the business of promoting artists and bands, including writing concert reviews.

I welcome opinions - I am simply tryng to establish the fact these services DO EXIST and in this case it appears they are writing about the Eagles and other bands on some sort of contractual basis.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    in this case it appears they are writing about the Eagles ... on some sort of contractual basis.
    Why? What about her review makes you think the Eagles paid anyone? I'm asking for any evidence. She doesn't compare this version of the band with the Glenn version. This is exactly the type of review I would expect from a concert photographer who is being paid by a publication to also provide a generic review of a notable band that the publication can publish. In fact, there is zero analysis of the band's performance. If the Eagles paid for this review, they sure didn't get their money's worth. This is the wrong review to hang your hat on if you believe that the Eagles are paying reviewers to attend and cover their shows.

Here is what she said: "Once the United Center was nicely filled for its sold-out show, the Eagles take to the stage for the second night of their 53-date 2018 tour. This is the first extensive tour since the passing of Glenn Frey, a tour which many thought would never happen. Luckily, Glenn’s son, Deacon, and country legend, Vince Gill have stepped into the breach. After being together for an impressive 45 years plus, the Rock and Roll Hall of Famers proved there’s still plenty life in them. Despite Timothy B. Schmit hurting himself and being worried that he wouldn’t make it for the night’s performance, he remained seated throughout the show with his foot up. There was nothing going to stop this show from happening.

For two and a half hours, the Chicago crowd were entertained with the harmonic voices and guitars as they performed an impressive 27-song set including songs from throughout their lengthy career, as well as including some from Joe Walsh and Vince Gill’s solo catalogs. Alternating between lead vocalist, Don Henley also alternated between drums and guitar when taking the lead. Keeping the “family business” going, Henley’s son also joined the band on stage to assist with guitar duties.

This must have been an emotional time for the band, not least for Deacon, as they performed without Glenn Frey. However, he was never far away from everyone’s thoughts. Following on from “Peaceful Easy Feeling” with Deacon at the helm, the stage lights lowered as a photo of Glenn projected on the large screen behind, which lead to a standing ovation from the audience in honor of the late member, a very touching moment."

The night was rounded out with an encore including their mammoth hits “Hotel California” and “Desperado” marking the perfect end to such an extensive set.

For those who were unable to make it to this show, don’t despair, as they will be back at the United Center once again in October."

ETA: Is your position that every concert review published by NRR has been contractually negotiated for by the band?

If the Eagles paid for a review, it wouldn't be the completely uninteresting NRR review. It would be this one from last night:

http://www.al.com/entertainment/inde...es_when_g.html

Conversely we don't know if the Eagles did NOT pay them.

We only know someone on their staff wrote a review for publication on THIS website who describe themselves as follows:

"National Rock Review is a nationwide network of music photographers, concert reviewers, and music release reviewers who collaborate with the music industry to provide complete coverage for national, regional and local acts. We live for the passion of live music and strive to capture, document, and preserve timeless imagery and content to share with music fans across the globe.

Whether you’re a national record label, a publicist representing artists, or even an upcoming hard-working band looking for national exposure, National Rock Review staff can help deliver your message and music to the global entertainment market."

https://www.nationalrockreview.com/about-nrr

Note: They have two other media sites as well

National Country Review
    National Blues Review
    Last edited by Dawn; 04-21-2018 at 03:08 PM.

As I said earlier, the obvious common denominator between the Eagles and the Joe Walsh reviews on NRR is the bolded language about JD and the Straight Shot at the top of the article. This is why I think they made it onto this company's website.

To be clear, I have no reason to believe the Eagles are paying for reviews and I don't think they do.

As far as the Eagles paying for reviews...it's something I've thought of already.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."