Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which line-up had the best harmonies? (and other harmony-related questions)

Default Which line-up had the best harmonies? (and other harmony-related questions)

What line-up do you think had the best harmonies? In a way, I think their best harmonies were with the original line-up. Don's and Randy's voices blended together very well, as did Glenn's and Bernie's. Their "my daddy was a handsome devil" a cappella bit is just gorgeous. To their credit, they were very good at replicating the sound with the different replacements over the years; their harmonies sounded beautiful in HFO. In other concerts in later years, however, I didn't think they were quite up to par with their earlier sound.

On a side note, I was listening to the HFO second night and in The Best of My Love, the higher voice sounded so much like Randy I could have sworn it was him, if I didn't know it wasn't. I assume it was Timothy, but their voices sound different to me. Was it another band member singing in falsetto? Also, did Timothy take over singing with Glenn in the second verse of Take It Easy? I know that was Randy's part, but it didn't sound like Timothy in the HFO version.

Out on the Border

Default Re: Which line-up had the best harmonies? (and other harmony-related questions)

I agree that the original band had the "magical " sound. They were great throughout but that original sound was something special. I think Randy's ability to compliment the others, come in strong and then back off added some real uniqueness to their sound. I'm 54 this year, and maybe part of my fondness of the original 4, then 5, was the Greatest Hits Volume 1 cassette that my family burned through many time driving up into Canada. I have always thought their sound was great, even after Bernie and Randy left, but If I have to vote, I'd say the original 4.
    On an off-topic subject, my In-laws just handed over their tickets to the 5/24 Spokane show as they had other plans they could not get out of. So personally I am thankful that Don got sick as this will be my first time ever to hear them live. I had tickets to the HOE a few years back and I had to give them away to a family member as I was ill, I really regret not getting to see Glenn before he passed.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Which line-up had the best harmonies? (and other harmony-related questions)

We have had similar discussions on the board numerous times and I can't pick a favorite vocal lineup of the band while Glenn was alive. I loved them all for different reasons.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

My apologies, Dreamer, I didn't realize this had already been discussed. Feel free to merge or delete this thread, then.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    What line-up do you think had the best harmonies? In a way, I think their best harmonies were with the original line-up. Don's and Randy's voices blended together very well, as did Glenn's and Bernie's. Their "my daddy was a handsome devil" a cappella bit is just gorgeous. To their credit, they were very good at replicating the sound with the different replacements over the years; their harmonies sounded beautiful in HFO. In other concerts in later years, however, I didn't think they were quite up to par with their earlier sound.

On a side note, I was listening to the HFO second night and in The Best of My Love, the higher voice sounded so much like Randy I could have sworn it was him, if I didn't know it wasn't. I assume it was Timothy, but their voices sound different to me. Was it another band member singing in falsetto? Also, did Timothy take over singing with Glenn in the second verse of Take It Easy? I know that was Randy's part, but it didn't sound like Timothy in the HFO version.
    Yes.

I tend to agree that the original four had the best harmony blend, because there were four voices. Once Randy left, most of the time it seemed reduced to three, as you barely hear Joe and/or Felder in any harmonies.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    you barely hear Joe . . . in any harmonies.
    He's there, though. I agree that it's hard to pick him out, but he took over Bernie's place the harmony stack. Still, I agree that the original four had the best vocal sound

Stuck on the Border

I would agree and say the original four had the best harmonies. If you look at you tube videos you see that Felder does not sing a lot of the time. And, I also have a hard time picking out Joe's voice most of the time.

Yes.

I tend to agree that the original four had the best harmony blend, because there were four voices. Once Randy left, most of the time it seemed reduced to three, as you barely hear Joe and/or Felder in any harmonies.
    This is my feeling as well.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Yes.

I too echo FP’s feelings. The original 4 (plus Felder if you like) had the best voices. I don’t like that the 4 part harmony reduced down to only 3. It was still great but I just wish Joe was more involved. I do think Bernie is a better harmony singer than Joe but I wonder if Bernie would fit on a song like NKIT.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

The original 4 had the best harmonies, imo. To me, there's just nothing since like it.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten