Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The last great Frey and Henley co-write

Default The last great Frey and Henley co-write

Glenn and Don are often considered one of the best songwriting duos in popular music. The first song they wrote together, Desperado, is usually ranked at or near the top of the Eagles catalog. What was the last really great song they co-wrote without anyone else receiving credit?

Here is a compiled list:

1. Desperado
    2. Tequila Sunrise
    3. Good Day in a Hell
    4. One of These Nights
    5. Lyin Eyes
    6. After the Thrill is Gone
    7. Wasted Time
    8. The Last Resort
    9. The Long Run
    10. King of Hollywood
    11. Greeks Don’t Want No Freaks
    12. Get Over It
    13. Hole in the World
    14. Busy Being Fabulous
    15. What Do I Do With My Heart
    16. Fast Company
    17. Frail Grasp on the Big Picture

Out of these 17 tracks, Henley sings lead on 11 and co-lead on 4. I know he took over a lot of the leads as time went on but this is a bit of an eye-opener considering the songwriting credit is split 50-50 on these songs.

Anyway, my choice is The Last Resort. Not that the other songs that followed aren’t good, they just don’t measure up to this one imo.

Thoughts?

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Rebel

Default Re: The last great Frey and Henley co-write

I also vote for The Last Resort. I think the quality of the songs they wrote together drops off after that, although there are a few of them I like.

I'm not surprised about those statistics on Don and lead vocals. It seems he's always been most interested in singing llead vocals on the songs for which he wrote the majority of the lyrics.

I would probably have to say The Last Resort or The Long Run as being the best. If you put a emphasis on lyrics than it’s the last resort but I think the Long Run is an overall better song. They had some good moments since then but the word great is just a bit too strong.

Stuck on the Border

From what I read Glenn did most of the arranging of the music. Hence "The Lone Arranger" nickname. Also, Glenn had that thing about wanting Don to sing lead from OOTN onward(A mistake in my opinion). Also, he was classically trained on the piano from ages 5 to 13 and suited for his role as the arranger of their music. I read somewhere that Don, Joe and Bernie all had some piano lesson but not anything as long as Glenn. JMHO, but I think they did more of the writing(lyrics) together in the early years. Don did confirm in the RS memorial issue that Glenn also wrote/ contributed lyrics for HC.

YEF - I have to disagree. I don't dislike either song. However, I think TLR is too long and goes on and on. The LR is ok, but I personally would not but it as one of their best songs. Just MHO, but I would say Desperado, Tequila Sunrise and Wasted Time would be my top three.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    From what I read Glenn did most of the arranging of the music. Hence "The Lone Arranger" nickname. Also, Glenn had that thing about wanting Don to sing lead from OOTN onward(A mistake in my opinion). Also, he was classically trained on the piano from ages 5 to 13 and suited for his role as the arranger of their music. I read somewhere that Don, Joe and Bernie all had some piano lesson but not anything as long as Glenn. JMHO, but I think they did more of the writing(lyrics) together in the early years. Don did confirm in the RS memorial issue that Glenn also wrote/ contributed lyrics for HC.

YEF - I have to disagree. I don't dislike either song. However, I think TLR is too long and goes on and on. The LR is ok, but I personally would not but it as one of their best songs. Just MHO, but I would say Desperado, Tequila Sunrise and Wasted Time would be my top three.
    I’m not exactly sure what this thread means, but I took it to mean what was Don and Glenn’s last best co-write. That’s why I said TLR and LR. Those wouldn’t be in my top 5 if we were talking all time.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I’m not exactly sure what this thread means, but I took it to mean what was Don and Glenn’s last best co-write. That’s why I said TLR and LR. Those wouldn’t be in my top 5 if we were talking all time.
    Sorry YEF, you are right. It is about the last best co-write. Sorry, I am tired- I had a crappy night sleep last night ! I agree, neither song would be in my top five either.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Sorry YEF, you are right. It is about the last best co-write. Sorry, I am tired- I had a crappy night sleep last night ! I agree, neither song would be in my top five either.
    No worries NKIT, it happens to all us lol.

Get Over It.

I did not like LROOE at all. I still don't. It isn't even in my iTunes library anymore.

I thought Get Over It should have been on a studio album and been played more live after the HFO tour was over. It's one of my favorite Eagles songs. Wish there was a studio version of it and I wish there was more live footage of it too.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

It isn't a very long list.

For what it's worth, my answer is What Do I Do With My Heart.

My views on the distribution of lead vocals are well known & I'm not going near that subject again.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Get Over It.

I did not like LROOE at all. I still don't. It isn't even in my iTunes library anymore.

I thought Get Over It should have been on a studio album and been played more live after the HFO tour was over. It's one of my favorite Eagles songs. Wish there was a studio version of it and I wish there was more live footage of it too.
    Totally agree with that. I simply do not get why that song was dropped soon after that tour. It’s a great rocking song.