Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The last great Frey and Henley co-write

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: The last great Frey and Henley co-write

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    The ICTYW credit on HFO is also listed as Henley, Frey, Schmit. I can't think of any reason whatsoever for this, except that perhaps it was a term of the band reuniting. Nothing changed from the Long Run album, where it was listed as Schmit, Henley, Frey. To my knowledge, Timothy has never complained haha.

As far as the HFO version of HC, wasn't Felder "tasked" with coming up with the intro? I sort of believe him in this case. I agree with FP that when it was a case of only Eagles members writing songs, maybe they decided it would always be Henley-Frey, like the Beatles.

I don't have a problem with Felder's new intro story, although as usual he glorifies himself to an absurd degree. I have a problem with his assertion that Glenn did 'nothing' in the rearranged version.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I don't have a problem with Felder's new intro story, although as usual he glorifies himself to an absurd degree. I have a problem with his assertion that Glenn did 'nothing' in the rearranged version.
    I agree. The idea of even doing Hotel California in an acoustic and Latin style couldn’t have been just Felder’s idea. Either Don or Glenn (or both) must have made that decision

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I think that’s the case for some of the songs but not all. For certain kind of fool, Randy is listed as the third contributor although I’m quite sure it was his original song idea. He didn’t add the most but the idea of a song about how a boy became an outlaw was his. The same thing for Take It To The Limit, he is listed third. VOL and LITFL are interesting ones because Henley is listed first in both of those but based on what information I’m aware of, Glenn came up with both song titles, and both songs had licks that songs were built off. The lyrics that Don provided were added last yet he was first. I guess there must not be a pattern to the songwriting credits rather, it depends on context of how each song was made
    It seems to me that whoever wrote most of the lyrics is credited. Glenn came up with the concept and title for LITFL, and he and Joe probably wrote most of the music, but Henley wrote most of the lyrics. Same with Felder and VOL. And even HC. I'm not saying it was a fair way of deciding, but I think it's what they went with.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    It seems to me that whoever wrote most of the lyrics is credited. Glenn came up with the concept and title for LITFL, and he and Joe probably wrote most of the music, but Henley wrote most of the lyrics. Same with Felder and VOL. And even HC. I'm not saying it was a fair way of deciding, but I think it's what they went with.
    That's OK for Henley's songs but it doesn't hold for Glenn's songs like Lyin' Eyes or Tequila Surnise, unless we are being told that Henley wrote most of the lyrics to those as well.

It just is not as simple as Henley - lyrics & Frey - music. I say again that I think they found the 'Henley-Frey' lable convenient & it isn't that significant. And for whatever reason they kept their two names next to each other regardless of whether they had a co-writer or not.

By the way, in case anyone is wondering, I don't have a problem with Henley's name being first (it's a bit late that for that) but there has been this assumption for decades that because his name is first he must have written most of the lyrics. As I say, I just don't think it is that simple.
    Last edited by Freypower; 06-07-2018 at 10:14 PM.

Out on the Border

Well the BEST Eagles song is “ My Man”! 😊
    Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Glenn and Don are often considered one of the best songwriting duos in popular music. The first song they wrote together, Desperado, is usually ranked at or near the top of the Eagles catalog. What was the last really great song they co-wrote without anyone else receiving credit?

Here is a compiled list:

1. Desperado
    2. Tequila Sunrise
    3. Good Day in a Hell
    4. One of These Nights
    5. Lyin Eyes
    6. After the Thrill is Gone
    7. Wasted Time
    8. The Last Resort
    9. The Long Run
    10. King of Hollywood
    11. Greeks Don’t Want No Freaks
    12. Get Over It
    13. Hole in the World
    14. Busy Being Fabulous
    15. What Do I Do With My Heart
    16. Fast Company
    17. Frail Grasp on the Big Picture

Out of these 17 tracks, Henley sings lead on 11 and co-lead on 4. I know he took over a lot of the leads as time went on but this is a bit of an eye-opener considering the songwriting credit is split 50-50 on these songs.

Anyway, my choice is The Last Resort. Not that the other songs that followed aren’t good, they just don’t measure up to this one imo.

Thoughts?

The vast majority of Henley-Frey co-writes are listed as 'Henley'-Frey'. If what you say is correct then Henley would have had to have had EVERY SINGLE one of those song ideas. Frankly I doubt that. I suppose I am defending Glenn here but I believe they used 'Henley-Frey' the way the Beatles used 'Lennon-McCartney'.
    I’m sorry, I was referring to the Henley-Frey songs with an additional co-writer(s). The songs with only Henley-Frey credits were probably listed that way for the sake of convenience and consistency.

I think that’s the case for some of the songs but not all. For certain kind of fool, Randy is listed as the third contributor although I’m quite sure it was his original song idea. He didn’t add the most but the idea of a song about how a boy became an outlaw was his. The same thing for Take It To The Limit, he is listed third. VOL and LITFL are interesting ones because Henley is listed first in both of those but based on what information I’m aware of, Glenn came up with both song titles, and both songs had licks that songs were built off. The lyrics that Don provided were added last yet he was first. I guess there must not be a pattern to the songwriting credits rather, it depends on context of how each song was made

One must be careful about the source of some of these song credits. I’ve seen it listed in the order you describe on Wiki, probably by some fan who didn’t bother to double-check the original credits and assumed Henley and Frey created everything.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Also, this re: Take It to the Limit

These credits get rearranged frequently as well. I know they were for the Very Best of compilation.

Stuck on the Border

The vast majority of Henley-Frey co-writes are listed as 'Henley'-Frey'. If what you say is correct then Henley would have had to have had EVERY SINGLE one of those song ideas. Frankly I doubt that. I suppose I am defending Glenn here but I believe they used 'Henley-Frey' the way the Beatles used 'Lennon-McCartney'.

I remember seeing an interview with Glenn years ago regarding the song writing credit. Glenn stated that when he and Don first began writing, they agreed that all their songs would be listed as "Don Henley/Glenn Frey".

I got very tired of Felder & his harping on the HC credit. I just don't believe that Glenn at least didnt have some hand in arranging the new version. That is what he did. Does anyone really believe he sat there & said nothing while Felder told them all what to play? He wouldn't have stood for it. The 'Henley-Frey' part of that credit is exactly the same as every other credit with those names; see my post above. His inference of course is that Frey always wrote the least amount of every song.
    I agree. The idea of even doing Hotel California in an acoustic and Latin style couldn’t have been just Felder’s idea. Either Don or Glenn (or both) must have made that decision
    Why is it so difficult to accept Felder came up with the new HC arrangement on his own? He had the background, experience and chops to meet the challenge. He was basically ordered by Henley and Frey to come up with a new intro so i would think that Glenn was fine with it. I recently posted a link to a radio interview in his thread where he discusses this.

He was there, we were not and AFAIK, no one who was in the band has refuted his account of events.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Why is it so difficult to accept Felder came up with the new HC arrangement on his own? He had the background, experience and chops to meet the challenge. He was basically ordered by Henley and Frey to come up with a new intro so i would think that Glenn was fine with it. I recently posted a link to a radio interview in his thread where he discusses this.

He was there, we were not and AFAIK, no one who was in the band has refuted his account of events.

I am not saying that Glenn wasn't fine with it. What I am objecting to is Felder's claim that Glenn did 'nothing', presumably didn't even say whether he agreed with it, or suggested minor changes, anything. It was Glenn's band & I find it very difficult to believe he was so passive about it. He just was not like that.

As for nobody refuting Felder's version, Felder has made many claims that nobody refuted. That doesn't mean that Felder was always 100% accurate. He liked to over emphasise his own role, often at Glenn's expense. This incident is a perfect example.