Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738 LastLast

Thread: Eagles Song Survivor: Non-Studio Album Songs

Default Re: Eagles Song Survivor: Non-Studio Album Songs

Ugh.

Congrats to SBR, but GOI is still the underdog. And an Henley/Frey composition.

For me, hearing the news about SBR certainly diminished it for me, but honestly it was never my choice to win, it just lowered it some. I prefer LBG to SBR.

It cements that most people love and think of the Eagles for their vocals and harmony singing. I see them as a guitar band, as much as Van Halen. The guitar stylings blending together, the solos, and the riffs made the band what it was for me. I never paid too much attention to the lyrics or vocals. For me GOI is a GREAT example of the Eagles as a guitar-centric band. For me it's not about how the vocals come together, it's about how 3 guitarists with all different models of guitars came together. When one was playing a Gibson, the other was automatically playing a Fender. Joe and Felder never played the same guitar on the same song. It was always that blend that made them the best guitar band.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Well, that was a tense game!

CONGRATS TO SEVEN BRIDGES ROAD!

If you want to hear an "untainted" version...

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xp6su9

Glenn rocks that harmonica!

It was nice to see that. It hasn't changed my mind about the 'official' version..

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

If you want to hear an "untainted" version...

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xp6su9

Glenn rocks that harmonica!

It was nice to see that. It hasn't changed my mind about the 'official' version..

Yes, but since you can hear Glenn so well on this one... I had to link to it!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Damn it! The fraudulent recording won. Oh well, I guess not everyone cares about fakeness.

Anyways to celebrate, here is a version of Seven Bridges Road from Santa Monica again, this time a genuine recording, from July 29th 1980 (the same date wherein performances from Life's Been Good and Hotel California were taken from for Eagles Live). NO OVERDUBS at all on this one. This, at least imo is such a good version, I really do wonder why they did not even think of choosing this one:

https://youtu.be/uAmVzjcBbOI
    The chemistry... nuff said

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    Damn it! The fraudulent recording won. Oh well, I guess not everyone cares about fakeness.
    If you read the comments throughout this thread, it is not true to say that those of us who voted for it do not care about fakeness. Most of us did express concern over the 'doctoring' of the recording, so please let's not twist the facts here. However, ultimately, we chose to vote for the song we love the best. And the fact that it prevailed in spite of our concerns against a very strong competitor is a testament to just how well-loved the song really is. So ...

CONGRATS TO SEVEN BRIDGES ROAD ON A WORTHY VICTORY!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    It cements that most people love and think of the Eagles for their vocals and harmony singing. I see them as a guitar band, as much as Van Halen. The guitar stylings blending together, the solos, and the riffs made the band what it was for me. I never paid too much attention to the lyrics or vocals. For me GOI is a GREAT example of the Eagles as a guitar-centric band. For me it's not about how the vocals come together, it's about how 3 guitarists with all different models of guitars came together. When one was playing a Gibson, the other was automatically playing a Fender. Joe and Felder never played the same guitar on the same song. It was always that blend that made them the best guitar band.
    Same here fam!!

That's how it always was for me. That's especially why I love Walsh and Felder the most amongst everyone else musically. For me it was their indelible meshing and mix of guitar (esp. 1976 till 1999), sometimes soft, sometimes in the middle, sometimes hard, which just did it for me. I indeed love good guitar most of the time. That's also why, as a 16 year old, I never liked today's music. The thing is, if I looked for vocals and harmony, there are plenty of groups and artists today. I also loved that they all had different models meshing together for songs.

However Get Over It is a bad example. In the version we voted for (the studio version) as well as the two Burbank performances, Walsh and Felder had the same guitar (a Les Paul).

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Soda and I were talking the other night about the results of this game. Since there was a lot of coalition voting, we wondered if the order of finish is truly reflective of the voters preferences. Therefore, we thought it may be a good idea to have folks list your favorites as we have done recently for some of the albums. It may be interesting to see how the results compare to the game that we just finished.

I'll go ahead and repost the 'rules' here. Anyone can to post their list, even if they didn't participate in the game. So here's a recap how this works for those folks who may be new to this ...

This isn’t exactly a game, but more like a poll with no other purpose than to be an exercise of fun. I’m going to list all the songs from this game and ask folks to rank them in the order that they like the songs from favorite to least favorite. I’ll give folks a week to post their list in this thread, and then I’ll calculate the results so you can see how close your list is to the combined results and the results of the Survivor game.

I’ll calculate the lists like this. There are 12 songs in this game, so I’ll assign a point value of 12 points to the song that each person lists in 1st place, 11 points for the 2nd place song, and so on until the last place song gets 1 point as follows:

Song 1 – 12 points
    Song 2 – 11 points
    Song 3 – 10 points
    Song 4 – 9 points
    Song 5 – 8 points
    Song 6 – 7 points
    Song 7 – 6 points
    Song 8 – 5 points
    Song 9 – 4 point
    Song 10 – 3 points
    Song 11 – 2 points
    Song 12 – 1 point

For example, Person A puts the song ‘ABC’ in 3rd place so it gets 10 points; Person B puts ‘ABC’ in 5th place so it gets 8 points; and Person C puts ‘ABC’ in 6th place so it gets 7 points. So all total, the song ‘ABC’ gets 25 points. Then, Person A puts the song ‘XYZ’ in 1st place so it gets 12 points; Person B puts ‘XYZ’ in 4th place so it gets 9 points; and Person C puts ‘XYZ’ in 2nd place so it gets 11 points. So all total, the song ‘XYZ’ gets 32 points.

After I calculate the combined scores from everyone’s list, I’ll post the list in the order of which songs had the highest points to the lowest. You will be able to see how close your list comes to the “master” list. If others post a list after a week, I’ll update it with their scores. So here we go – the songs for this poll are as follows:

Get You in the Mood
    Please Come Home for Christmas
    Funky New Year
    All Night Long
    Life’s Been Good
    Seven Bridges Road
    Get Over It
    The Girl from Yesterday
    Learn to Be Still
    Love Will Keep Us Alive
    Hole in the World
    One Day at a Time

Now, list these songs in the order of your most favorite to least favorite.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    If you read the comments throughout this thread, it is not true to say that those of us who voted for it do not care about fakeness. Most of us did express concern over the 'doctoring' of the recording, so please let's not twist the facts here. However, ultimately, we chose to vote for the song we love the best.
    Okay I'll admit I was kinda vague there. What I wanted to mean was that no one cared "enough". I think, as Walshfan said, people love the Eagles for their harmonies and vocals than anything else.

Also, how was the Seven Bridges Road version I posted? Was it good? Was it Meh?

My Order:

1. Get Over It- 12
    2. One Day at a Time- 11
    3. Learn to be Still- 10
    4. Hole in the World- 9
    5. Love Will Keep Us Alive- 8
    6. The Girl from Yesterday- 7
    7. Life's Been Good (Joe Walsh cover)- 6
    8. All Night Long (Joe Walsh cover)- 5
    9. Seven Bridges Road (Steve Young cover)- 4
    10. Get You in the Mood- 3
    11. Please Come Home for Christmas (Charles Brown cover)- 2
    12. Funky New Year- 1
    Last edited by cosec3791; 07-06-2018 at 03:25 PM.

My scores:

Seven Bridges Road - 12 points
    Get Over It - 11 points
    The Girl from Yesterday - 10 points
    Love Will Keep Us Alive - 9 points
    Hole in the World - 8 points
    Please Come Home for Christmas - 7 points
    One Day at a Time - 6 points
    Funky New Year - 5 points
    Get You in the Mood - 4 points