Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Song Survivor: Non-Studio Album Songs

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles Song Survivor: Non-Studio Album Songs

I vote for Learn To Be Still

I vote for Seven Bridges Road (Steve Young cover)

It is just fraudulent. Actually, Eagles Live is a fraud in itself. It is just re-recorded tracks posing as a live album. I actually think people should go through Freypower's reasoning. The main reason I feel 7BR is not getting that many votes is because people don't know or care about the pseudo-live nature of this track. The saddest thing is, they instead could've taken any other version which was good. And keep the imperfections. It will actually feel live.

As for LTBS, I never thought Don was disparaging Jesus! I really need to work on my interpretive skills. But either way, at least it is a genuine studio recording. Unlike *cough* 7BR, sold off as live. The brief solo by Felder I feel is great, and is personally my second favorite, musically (with first being Get Over It). But at the same time, it sounds like a Don Henley solo track worthy of being on End of the Innocence rather than being on HFO.

As for HITW, I did not like the track too much. Harmonies are good, though I feel it is repetitive and underwhelming. I actually thought maybe of voting off this one, but with the fraudulent nature of the live tracks, they have to go!!! Lyrics are meaningful too, but that too is kinda repetitive.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    I completely agree with FP in this point. I love 7BR, but this understanding that it has been edited in this way on a live album is quite serious in my opinion. I'm not saying as yet what I'll vote for the win but this is a serious point in the decision making process
    Exactly! I think no one is considering the seriousness of the overdubbing. People, please see these reasons!

SAVE GENUINE RECORDINGS!!!!!!

VOTE OFF SEVEN BRIDGES ROAD!!!!!!
    The chemistry... nuff said

Border Rebel

I would like to vote for Seven Bridges Road but it only has two votes, so I'm going to go with Hole in the World, which has 3, in a lame attempt to save Learn to Be Still.

To me, Learn to Be Still is about Don finally finding his own personal peace, after many years of being tortured by demons (perhaps mostly of his own making). Songs like Life in the Fast Lane and Hotel California are great, but they speak of a tortured soul.

And yes, I can understand why some people might be offended by the anti-religion sentiment. But fortunately or unfortunately, they are lyrically some of the best parts of the song, IMO. As an artist, you have to speak what comes from your heart and mind and not worry about the sensibilities of others. As with all art, some people will relate to it and others won't, but if there's not truth to it, it doesn't mean anything. I don't see that as preaching at all.

I vote Learn To Be Still

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow - there's a lot to talk about here. So, I'll comment on each song remaining in the game.

Seven Bridges Road - I am somewhat disturbed about the overdubbing, but it is something that is done often by almost all bands, so, right or wrong, I guess it has become more acceptable. It doesn't change the fact for me that this is a gorgeous song and I absolutely love it.

Get Over It - I like this song a lot, but not as much as some. I think it's the melody of the song that keeps me from adoring it. Still, it does rock and I love the message.

Learn To Be Still - I think this is an underrated song, and I like it a lot. I do agree that it would have been a better fit for Don's EOTI album though and I find the theme of this song very similar to Little Tin God. My interpretation is that inner peace and spiritual fulfillment come from within if you stop long enough to listen to oneself. Starry-eyed messiahs can also be a reference to the flawed, pompous, and disingenuous 'leaders' (e.g. televangelists) that seek wealth and notoriety by exploiting religion. However, as with most good songs, I believe it is open to multiple interpretations.

Hole in the World - This song has gorgeous harmonies and a very emotional sentiment. But, other than that, it doesn't have much more going for it. To me, it becomes awfully monotonous and repetitious after the first verse and is definitely the weakest song left in the game.

Right now, Learn To Be Still and Hole in the World are neck and neck. I urge others to join me in saving LTBS for one more round ...

I cast my vote for Hole in the World.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Learn To Be Still
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I'm voting for Seven Bridges Road.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Wow - there's a lot to talk about here. So, I'll comment on each song remaining in the game.

Seven Bridges Road - I am somewhat disturbed about the overdubbing, but it is something that is done often by almost all bands, so, right or wrong, I guess it has become more acceptable. It doesn't change the fact for me that this is a gorgeous song and I absolutely love it.

Get Over It - I like this song a lot, but not as much as some. I think it's the melody of the song that keeps me from adoring it. Still, it does rock and I love the message.

Learn To Be Still - I think this is an underrated song, and I like it a lot. I do agree that it would have been a better fit for Don's EOTI album though and I find the theme of this song very similar to Little Tin God. My interpretation is that inner peace and spiritual fulfillment come from within if you stop long enough to listen to oneself. Starry-eyed messiahs can also be a reference to the flawed, pompous, and disingenuous 'leaders' (e.g. televangelists) that seek wealth and notoriety by exploiting religion. However, as with most good songs, I believe it is open to multiple interpretations.

Hole in the World - This song has gorgeous harmonies and a very emotional sentiment. But, other than that, it doesn't have much more going for it. To me, it becomes awfully monotonous and repetitious after the first verse and is definitely the weakest song left in the game.

Right now, Learn To Be Still and Hole in the World are neck and neck. I urge others to join me in saving LTBS for one more round ...

I cast my vote for Hole in the World.

We're not just talking about overdubbing. We're talking about scrapping one of the so-called 'live' parts & replacing it with a studio part. Not only is it a studio part but it is sung by somebody else. I've never heard of any other live album being doctored the way this one was. Saying that everybody does it doesn't make it right.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

FP - No matter what type of'doctoring' was done on the song, I'm sure it is not the only time something like this ever occurred. Nonetheless, it still doesn't change how I feel - as I said before, I think it's a gorgeous song and I absolutely love it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016