Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Versions of Eagles LP songs

Default Favorite Versions of Eagles LP songs

First of all, PLEASE, at least some of you, respond. Please? I made threads like this, only to get no replies.

Anyways, onto the thing itself. So the Eagles LP's celebration is going on (apparently, at least), I feel it is appropriate to make this thread. So tell your favorite versions of the Eagles LP songs! They can be any version, from covers, studio version, live versions, etc. While not absolutely necessary, it will be nicer if you could mention the reasons as to why.

Anyways, here are my favorites:

1. Take It Easy- 1976 Seattle;
    Great version! Love the playfulness of Glenn here, and Walsh kills it with the solos! Video too! It just edged out 1980 Santa Monica from Eagles Live for me, 'cos it is fully raw.

2. Witchy Woman- 1976 Houston;
    Rawness is great here! While Glenn's intro part was not the greatest, Walsh and Felder, particularly absolutely smashed it! And the performance for the actual song was on point! This is where I feel Steuart lacks. I doubt that he can do what Felder and Walsh do, improvising {of course, based on a certain pattern} and have great tone at the same time. His guitar always sounds restrained.

3. Chug All Night- 1975 Seattle;
    Fantastic quality here for '75! And that intro from Felder's Les Paul has so much more bite to it! This is what I miss from Felder not being there! That bite-ey robust sound! I actually don't care about the studio version at all.

4. Most of Us Are Sad- No other version

5. Nightingale- Studio version;
    1972 Oklahoma is there, but the quality is just too poor.

6. Train Leaves Here This Morning- 1973 Berkeley;
    I am an electric guitar kinda guy (first and foremost). But there is this infectious simplicity of just acoustic guitars in this song. Bernie has this nice soothing deep voice here and the harmonies are stellar. Bernie's guitar solo is simple, yet beautiful.

7. Take the Devil- No other version

8. Earlybird- 1973 ABC TV in Concert (Video version);
    Now, you may have seen this on YouTube, and then be like, "WTH it is so bad!" Quality aside, which is admittedly terrible, I feel like this is a great version. Henley's drumming was really good, Frey did better in the slide, though Bernie shined through during the improv Banjo after "Fade away". The faster tempo is nice too.

9. Peaceful Easy Feeling- 1974 Don Kirshner's Rock Concert:
    One of the very, very few times I like Leadon better than anyone else on lead guitar. He just does it for me. The added mandolin by Felder is the cherry on top. Though I wonder how it was in the 70's with Felder and Walsh.

10. Tryin'- 1973 Central Park (from VH1 rarities):
    Decent rocker, Randy's voice soars here. While the jamming is not as good as 1973 Voorburg, such a great bass solo!
    The chemistry... nuff said

Default Re: Favorite Versions of Eagles LP songs

Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    First of all, PLEASE, at least some of you, respond. Please? I made threads like this, only to get no replies.
    You have to understand that a lot of people don't even listen to bootlegs, much less compare them.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    You have to understand that a lot of people don't even listen to bootlegs, much less compare them.
    While I get where you're going at, I am talking about any version. They don't have to be bootlegs.

Peaceful Easy Feeling: the unforgettable HFO Second Night arrangement. Beautiful. Powerful. Absolutely sinful that it was left off HFO.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Peaceful Easy Feeling: the unforgettable HFO Second Night arrangement. Beautiful. Powerful. Absolutely sinful that it was left off HFO.
    Agreed.

I do have a decent version of Chug All Night from the EOC downloads page. It's from Boston 1974.

And I did like the way they rearranged Witchy Woman for the HOTE tour. But in my view, Take It Easy live was never anywhere near as good as the studio version. While I have heard the Kirshner & BBC versions of some of these songs, I am afraid that I don't prefer them to the studio versions. I no longer listen to bootlegs.

Border Desperado

Yes, what a shame. in fact, most of the Second Night should have been THE video. Talk about a much better TV special.
    Also, Best of My Love from Night 2....I think it must have been the last song cut. It's in the credits at the end.

I like the live Take It Easy in any form over the album version.
    I have always liked Glenn's voice better live, especially over the first couple studio albums.
    I like it when Glenn has fun with Take It Easy....."make it shake it take it easy"....love that line. so funny.

Also the band has said they are not real happy with the finished product on either of Glyn Johns' albums. So, I think everything live from these albums is better, or at least the ones I've heard.

I also agree. I love that version so much. Glenn’s voice is perfect and when the harmonies kick in in the second verse it’s glorious

Stuck on the Border

Can I choose a solo version of an Eagles song? It would be Glenn singing Peaceful Easy Feeling in Boston in 1982 (early show). It's just voice, acoustic guitar and pedal steel guitar and is fairly similar to that HFO second night version but more stripped down. Glenn's slight hoarse but so vulnerable.

This one:
    https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...y-feeling.html

Border Desperado

I think Glenn sounds much better singing lower, like he does from HFO forward.

Yayy!!! Replies!!

Anyways, I was hoping for all songs, not just one. But I guess it's fine.

Anyways I'll now give my opinions on the individual posts:

1. Soda- interesting version. However, I feel it is not really suiting the electric guitars of Walsh and Felder. I wish it was completely acoustic. Harmonies are great, but I still like Glenn's younger voice. I also just feel like drums are missing.

2. Freypower- Chug All Night from Boston is great. But you gotta hear 75 Seattle. It is a belter. It is there on YouTube, hopefully not blocked. Also great sound there. And as for Witchy Woman during the HOTE tour, really?? I listened to a recording and it is pretty bad (imo). It just doesn't suit the age of them. They clearly struggled sometimes. And Walsh's playing there was not meshing sometimes. I wish Leadon or Frey would have done lead. As for Take It Easy, for me it is the converse. Almost all bootlegs and live versions are better. So much more exuberance there in all aspects.

BillBailey- well, about Get Over, it was not the best in that night. I just feel it is better as a bootleg than an official release, but video would be fantastic. Same here for Take It Easy. I just feel Glyn Johns' records sounded stifling and restrictive. They clearly had more freedom live. I also like that many songs live were all electric.

YoungEaglesFan- Agreed.

Underthewire- Yeah you can! As I said, any version which is your favorite!

Here's hoping you name a few more favorite versions.