Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An Evening with the Eagles @ Smoothie King Center in New Orleans, LA - June 20, 2018

Default An Evening with the Eagles @ Smoothie King Center in New Orleans, LA - June 20, 2018

I'm gonna go ahead and put the review post up. It probably won't be until tomorrow until I post something.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Default Re: An Evening with the Eagles @ Smoothie King Center in New Orleans, LA - June 20, 2

Shun, so cool. I cannot wait to get your thoughts on your first Eagles concert experience! 💘

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Default Re: An Evening with the Eagles @ Smoothie King Center in New Orleans, LA - June 20, 2

What a night. It was an amazing show. I was way high up. I was in section 307 row 6 which was right smack in the middle. So I had a good viewing of the screens. I got those seats for a reason (well mainly I wanted to paid for the cheaper seats) so I can see the screens. I don't think I would want to sit on the floor and have someone in front of me blocking my view because they are tall. Been there. I didn't enjoy the show when that happened when I had floor seats. I like the stadim style seats. Nobody is blocking your view.

Anyway. They did a great job. The energy was great at Smoothie King. It was a sold out show. A day before the show, they had maybe 50 tickets left, but when Timothy did the spotlight on the different sections, it was a full house minus the section where they were behind the stage. It was cool to see Will at the side of the stage on a few songs. He popped up on the screen once.

Their were some high points and low points at the show. Also disclaimer. I will not compare the shows with when Glenn was alive and the one I've seen last night. Since I didn't see the ones with Glenn, I think it wouldn't be appropriate for me to do that. I will bring up Glenn, but not comparing.

They did not play Victim of Love and Best Of My Love. I'm ok with BOML, but I really wanted to hear Victim of Love. They played in that place Fats Domino's Walking To New Orleans. I'm starting to think they might start doing local based songs at different stops. I do like this change up.

Here's my take on the individual Eagles.

Don: His vocals were spot on. I thought he was strong from the beginning to the end. Yes his voice is not the same, but I really didn't notice him struggling throughout the night or the first few songs. Don was being his funny self. I also felt that Don sang less for some reason. It was like where are Don songs? I counted up the songs including the ones he shared lead on, he only sang 8 songs. It was also cool to finally see with my own two eyes of Don playing the drums. When I saw him last year in Austin and Houston, he wasn't playing the drums which I knew since he doesn't play the drums in his solo shows anymore (minus his 70th Birthday show when he played drums on I Can't Tell You Why and Hotel California. I always love seeing Don singing and playing the drums at the same time. We don't have that many singing drummers (especially when they are co-lead vocalist of the band) in the music world and it always amazed me that he can do that at the same time especially on the songs he sings lead on. I know he has done this for over 50 years, but it has to be a mental thing to that at the same time.

Timothy: It was good to see Timothy standing on his feet and out of the boot. I bet he was happy to get out of that boot. Like a lot of people have said. He's really struggling with ICTYW. He just can't hit the high notes on this song anymore. He did great with LWKUA. What I noticed with both songs is LWKUA doesn't have that many high notes and that's probably why he doesn't struggle with LWKUA like he does with ICTYW.

Joe: Well Joe was Joe. The crowd went wild with Joe's guitar solos. Don made a joke about the crowd applauding the guitar solos. LOL Why shouldn't we? The whole place sang along to Life's Been Good. His mike was kinda low when he first goes back to the mike when he sings his solo songs.

Vince: I was so glad Vince shaved his beard. I hated the beard. Vince did a great job vocal wise. I'm very proud of him. This was actually my second time seeing him. The first time was 2004. Yikes!!! I'm happy to see Vince playing with my favorite band.

Deacon: This guy is very talent. Just seeing him playing with his uncles is amazing. Singing his father's songs. Like Don said when he was talking about Deacon. He's doing his father proud and I definitely agree.

On to the songs. Only a minor change.

Seven Bridges Road: The vocal and harmonies were great. Vince, Joe and Steuart trade off guitar solos in the middle of the song. Timothy pointed to Vince when it was time to do his.

Take It Easy: Deacon is introduced by Joe before the song and they flash his name on the screen. Deacon got a very loud applause. The vocals were great. Deacon does a great job. Deacon has grown since last year. His vocals are getting stronger and stronger. Like Don said before he introduced Vince, his dad would be proud of him and I agree. I was happy to see Vince doing a guitar solo before third verse, fourth, bridge. I don't know what that verse is. LOL Last year he played acoustic guitar and I guess they gave him Bernie's part. The crowd was singing along to this song.

One of These Nights: I love the background video for this song. Don sounded great. I always hear when they hear Don sang this song, he sounds hoarse and his voice warms up later. Unless I don't know how hoarse sounds, I thought he didn't sound hoarse. I've heard him hoarse before in Houston last year, he wasn't hoarse. With him not having the same voice from even 15 years ago, of course he's going to sound like a guy who sounds hoarse. As long as he's still got his signature sound and voice that he's known for, that's his voice now. The crowd were also singing along.

Take It to the Limit: Don told a joke before he introduced Vince, but I don't remembered what he said. It was funny. Vince did a great job with this song and loved when he hit the high notes toward the end. Its not my favorite song, but he did a great job. The crowd were singing loud with this song.

Tequila Sunrise: There's nothing much I can say about this song. Vince and Don do a great job harmonizing together on the "Oh, and it's a hollow feelin'. When it comes down to dealin' friends." The guitar solos were great.

Witchy Woman: I really haven't noticed this when I've seen videos of this song, but they put the spotlight on the guys when it was time for them to play their parts at the beginning. The spotlight goes on Don, then Timothy, then Steuart and lastly Joe. I have to say. I like this version better than the original.

In the City: Since last year, I hated this song because it was played 5 times a day on Sirius radio. I was ITC worn out, but I was siniging along. LOL They showed a video of New Orleans in the background. I don't know if they played the city they are playing in on the screen at the show, but I thought that was cool.

I Can't Tell You Why: Kinda wasn't my favorite of the night. Like I said. Timothy was struggling with this song. He just can't high notes. Positive note. I enjoyed hearing the guitar solo, Don and Vince harmonizing with Timothy on the chorus. Cool to see Joe on the organ. I'm glad he's still playing the organ on this song. Just like he did since the song first came out.

New Kid in Town: NKIT has always been my favorite Glenn song. Vince did a great job with this song. Don and Vince's harmonizing were great. They blended well together.

How Long: I enjoyed hearing Deacon singing with uncle Don. It was cool to finally have a LROOE song in the show. I wish they put more in or kept I Don't Want TO Hear Any More in. I don't know why they dropped that song after the first show.

Peaceful Easy Feeling: Deacon talks about he's having the time of his life and joked about not getting to eat more food in New Orleans or something like that. I can't remember his exact words. His vocals was strong and great. It brought a tear to my eye seeing Glenn's pictures popping up at the end. I missed him.

Ol' '55: The only problem I have with this song is I wish Don was singing the lines he originally sang on the song. The only time you hear Don on that chorus is when he's harmonizing with Vince "just a wishin' I'd stay a little longer." Otherwise great job by Vince.

Lyin' Eyes: Vince has gotten better with this song. I hated his version at first, but he's gotten better.

Love Will Keep Us Alive: Timothy does the spotlight on the different sections. You could see it on screens and they even showed the crowd facing Timothy. It was cool. Like I said earlier. Timothy didn't struggle with song like he did ICTYW. I'm guessing because LWKUA is not a high song like ICTYW.

Don't Let Our Love Start Slippin' Away: He tells the audience, he's the 61 year old new guy or something like that. This has always been my favorite uptempo Vince song when I was growing up. Killer guitar solo by Vince and Joe. I love seeing Vince and Joe playing solo together. I'm glad they got rid of The Next Big Thing and put in his more well known song. I was never a fan of that song.

Those Shoes: Interesting song. The red lights were interesting.

Already Gone: Don is now playing guitar on this song. I really miss seeing him on the drums for this song.

Walking to New Orleans: I was surprised, but not really shocked they played this song. Don bought up he use to listen to one of the radio stations in New Orleans when the wind was right. He got a huge applause when he said that. Then they go into the song. Don, Timothy and Vince takes a verse. Don does two. The harmonies were great on this song. I liked that they singing local based songs. I wonder if they continue to do this for different cities. Its interesting what they will pick for Dallas if they are going to do that in that city.

Walk Away: I enjoyed this song. The horn section brings the song out more.

Life's Been Good: Joe being Joe. Now we say Bologna. lol

Heartache Tonight: This version has really grown on me. The harmonies were great at the beginning and almost at the end.

Funk #49: Don's disappears during the song, but comes back when its time for Joe's solo.

Life in the Fast Lane: Don hop just a little, but nothing to write home about.

Hotel California: I really don't know what to think about the horn solo at the beginning, but I enjoyed hearing this song. I loved when its time to end HC and Don is hitting the last note, Don puts his drum stick in the air. I don't know if it meant to end, but he's been doing that since the 70s.

Rocky Mountain Way: I enjoyed this song too.

Desperado: I hated that it was end. Don did a great job. I don't know why Vince is just starting there without the guitar. That was interesting to see.

Overall. I loved every minute of the concert. I do wish I saw them when Glenn was alive, but I can't turn back the hands of time. I'm just glad I finally got to see them and I'm glad I didn't let my mind psych me out again to going to New Orleans just because "its on a weekday or I don't have the money". I made that mistake when Glenn was alive and I'm not going to do that again. I can scratch this off my bucket list. Now I need to see Timothy's solo show.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 06-21-2018 at 02:53 PM.

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Thank you, Shundra! I'm glad you had a good time!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Thanks for the review, Shun! Glad you finally got to see them and had a great time!

I'm with you, I wonder if they will do a special song in Dallas.

Border Rebel

Fantastic review, Shun! Your descriptive notes made me feel like I was at the show and that was great!

Great review Shun! I’m so glad you got to see them live! I have to think with Timothy’s struggle with the high notes, that Vince was brought in for high harmony. For songs like OOTN and TITTL his high voice has really helped out. It’s a shame they dropped BOML and VOL. I hope at least one is brought back. The local based song is an interesting idea and wonder what they could do when I see them in Boston. When I saw them I didn’t think Don sounded hoarse on OOTN but I can understand it because it is a challenging song to sing and thus it will make his natural loss of voice stand out more maybe.

I forgot to talk about Steuart. Even though he's not an Eagles. He's more visible than Michael, Will Hollis, and sometimes Scott (when he's not on the drums) since he's out from.

Steuart. Steuart is a talented man. I know he got so much flake when he first started out, but I have so much respect for him. I remembered as I was listening to Don't Let Our Love Start Slippin' Away, I remembered that Steuart played on that album that song came from. I don't know if he played on that song, but I know he was on that album. He and Vince probably go way back and known each other before Vince started playing with the Eagles.

I remembered at the end of one song(I don't remember which), Joe said Steuart Smith after his killer guitar solo on that song.

Shun, I’m so happy you got to see them! I know you were looking so forward to it. And your review is great.

I noted the same thing about Timothy and ICTYW and I do believe the vocals are much more demanding than LWKUA.

I loved hearing all the wonderful applause for Deacon and knowing so many fans support him and appreciate him. I agree his voice is getting stronger and he’s sounding more confident.

It’s so cool they are including songs with a local reference.

ETG, I’m trying to think of some Dallas-type songs they could play. Maybe Henley will sing Talking to the Moon?

ETA: I meant to include in my review that Vince got rid of the beard but I forgot.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

I was thinking Talking to the Moon too. I don't think Don has ever done that song with the Eagles. I think Will usually plays the piano on this song when they play it. LOL Or is it Michael. I don't remembered. So it won't be hard to learn even though he hasn't played it since last year. Deep In The Heart of Texas is the only one I can think of. Don can probably come up with a few since he's from Texas.