Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: HOTE Hotel California era Backstage Interviews

  1. #41
    Border Desperado
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    328

    Default Re: HOTE Hotel California era Backstage Interviews

    corsec,, I know you would like more concrete memories. Truthfully, I would too! You have to remember though, that it was a very different time and place back in the seventies. We didn't have access to set lists and such from other concerts to have an idea of what was going to be played. We didn't have even much info about the band at the time. We looked at the names on our albums, but by the time we saw them, the cast of characters had changed! The first time I saw them, Bernie was still in the band and Felder was added. The second time I saw them, Joe was in and Bernie was out. The third time, Randy was gone and Tim was in. My fourth show had the same band members as the third. Add to this, no big screens at the time, so you saw the guys, but not as larger than life like in the later years.

    I do believe that you are probably right about Midnight Flyer being played. Like I said, many names were mixed up in the review. Could be when they were all standing out front the reviewer didn't catch that Randy was singing lead. He was totally in the spotlight during TITTL. Also, the photographer sent me a couple of pictures from that night with Felder clearly playing banjo, so probably during Midnight Flyer.

    I totally get that for some, especially young fans, TIE and TITTL are cliché. You came to be an Eagles with the whole catalog available and you pick and choose your favorites, generally HC era it seems. TITTL is probably one of the best live performances I've heard. TIE is what made me into an Eagles fan back then. Hearing it at the beginning of a concert was so special, signaling that the Eagles are here and a great night is about to begin! The only thing I can compare it to is the playing of the national anthem before a big sporting event. It gets everyone ready and in the moment.

    Sorry again that I can't be of more help to you. Most of my Eagle memories are in my heart, of the overall feel and experience of show. If I'd had known there was going to be a pop quiz 40 something years later, I would have taken notes, LOL! You and many on this board are much better students of the Eagles than I. You'd hands down beat me in Eagles knowledge and trivia. I just listened to the albums, went to concerts and loved them.
    S

  2. #42
    Out on the Border
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: HOTE Hotel California era Backstage Interviews

    [QUOTE=My My;378816] You have to remember though, that it was a very different time and place back in the seventies. We didn't have access to set lists and such from other concerts to have an idea of what was going to be played. We didn't have even much info about the band at the time. We looked at the names on our albums, but by the time we saw them, the cast of characters had changed! The first time I saw them, Bernie was still in the band and Felder was added. The second time I saw them, Joe was in and Bernie was out. The third time, Randy was gone and Tim was in. My fourth show had the same band members as the third. Add to this, no big screens at the time, so you saw the guys, but not as larger than life like in the later years.

    The 2nd time I saw Poco, Timothy B. Schmit had replaced Randy. So yes, personnel was very fluid at the time.

  3. #43
    Border Desperado
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    328

    Default Re: HOTE Hotel California era Backstage Interviews

    That's very cool that you saw them both in Poco, MarthaJo!

  4. #44
    Stuck on the Border Dawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Walking in Memphis ...
    Posts
    1,621

    Default Re: HOTE Hotel California era Backstage Interviews

    Quote Originally Posted by My My View Post
    corsec,, I know you would like more concrete memories. Truthfully, I would too! You have to remember though, that it was a very different time and place back in the seventies. We didn't have access to set lists and such from other concerts to have an idea of what was going to be played. We didn't have even much info about the band at the time. We looked at the names on our albums, but by the time we saw them, the cast of characters had changed! The first time I saw them, Bernie was still in the band and Felder was added. The second time I saw them, Joe was in and Bernie was out. The third time, Randy was gone and Tim was in. My fourth show had the same band members as the third. Add to this, no big screens at the time, so you saw the guys, but not as larger than life like in the later years.

    I do believe that you are probably right about Midnight Flyer being played. Like I said, many names were mixed up in the review. Could be when they were all standing out front the reviewer didn't catch that Randy was singing lead. He was totally in the spotlight during TITTL. Also, the photographer sent me a couple of pictures from that night with Felder clearly playing banjo, so probably during Midnight Flyer.

    I totally get that for some, especially young fans, TIE and TITTL are cliché. You came to be an Eagles with the whole catalog available and you pick and choose your favorites, generally HC era it seems. TITTL is probably one of the best live performances I've heard. TIE is what made me into an Eagles fan back then. Hearing it at the beginning of a concert was so special, signaling that the Eagles are here and a great night is about to begin! The only thing I can compare it to is the playing of the national anthem before a big sporting event. It gets everyone ready and in the moment.

    Sorry again that I can't be of more help to you. Most of my Eagle memories are in my heart, of the overall feel and experience of show. If I'd had known there was going to be a pop quiz 40 something years later, I would have taken notes, LOL! You and many on this board are much better students of the Eagles than I. You'd hands down beat me in Eagles knowledge and trivia. I just listened to the albums, went to concerts and loved them.
    S
    I really relate to this post!

    In the 70's I bought my albums and concert tickets at Tower records or my college bookstore. Shared rides with friends to see bands as diverse as Jefferson Airplane, Big Brother, Jesse Colin Young, Eagles, Poco, BB King, the list goes on. I just had fun and never really thought about the set lists or much of anything else related to the bands or artists. I lived in the moment. It was pure entertainment. And affordable. No American Express black cards necessary.


    "Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

  5. #45
    Stuck on the Border Delilah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Long road south out of Cass County
    Posts
    2,893

    Default Re: HOTE Hotel California era Backstage Interviews

    Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    DM'd the list.

    I understand TITL. But Desperado, Wasted Time and New Kid in Town were all done in 1979-80. Desperado was common, Wasted Time less. Apparently for example it was done in 1980 Houston. And for New Kid, very rare but done. An example is 1980 New Mexico. But they did not do it in Long Beach. The only HC songs done there were Pretty Maids, HC and Life in the Fast Lane. And those statements about those kinda solidify my point. That these were better off in the HC times than TLR times. That they were inferior to the HC ones. Interesting.
    Thanks!

    I didn’t know that NKIT was rarely performed during The Long Run tour. That’s puzzling, considering it was a Grammy-winning #1 hit.

    Quote Originally Posted by MarthaJo56 View Post
    The 2nd time I saw Poco, Timothy B. Schmit had replaced Randy. So yes, personnel was very fluid at the time.
    Wow, you got to see Poco with Randy?! You are in rare company. And those shows were known to be amazing.

    Take it to the limit, one more time.

  6. #46
    Out on the Border
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: HOTE Hotel California era Backstage Interviews

    Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Thanks!




    Wow, you got to see Poco with Randy?! You are in rare company. And those shows were known to be amazing.
    I saw them the first time on my 15th birthday... 1971. I don't know if Randy was still with them. At that time, I was twitterpated over Richie Furay (who I met in person a few years ago and is now a close friend).
    The next time I saw Poco, we were leaning on the stage with Timothy right in front of us. My girlfriends & I had a nice little chat with him.
    Be still out teenybopper hearts!!!

  7. #47
    Border Desperado cosec3791's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: HOTE Hotel California era Backstage Interviews

    Quote Originally Posted by My My View Post
    corsec,, I know you would like more concrete memories. Truthfully, I would too! You have to remember though, that it was a very different time and place back in the seventies. We didn't have access to set lists and such from other concerts to have an idea of what was going to be played. We didn't have even much info about the band at the time. We looked at the names on our albums, but by the time we saw them, the cast of characters had changed! The first time I saw them, Bernie was still in the band and Felder was added. The second time I saw them, Joe was in and Bernie was out. The third time, Randy was gone and Tim was in. My fourth show had the same band members as the third. Add to this, no big screens at the time, so you saw the guys, but not as larger than life like in the later years.

    I do believe that you are probably right about Midnight Flyer being played. Like I said, many names were mixed up in the review. Could be when they were all standing out front the reviewer didn't catch that Randy was singing lead. He was totally in the spotlight during TITTL. Also, the photographer sent me a couple of pictures from that night with Felder clearly playing banjo, so probably during Midnight Flyer.

    I totally get that for some, especially young fans, TIE and TITTL are cliché. You came to be an Eagles with the whole catalog available and you pick and choose your favorites, generally HC era it seems. TITTL is probably one of the best live performances I've heard. TIE is what made me into an Eagles fan back then. Hearing it at the beginning of a concert was so special, signaling that the Eagles are here and a great night is about to begin! The only thing I can compare it to is the playing of the national anthem before a big sporting event. It gets everyone ready and in the moment.

    Sorry again that I can't be of more help to you. Most of my Eagle memories are in my heart, of the overall feel and experience of show. If I'd had known there was going to be a pop quiz 40 something years later, I would have taken notes, LOL! You and many on this board are much better students of the Eagles than I. You'd hands down beat me in Eagles knowledge and trivia. I just listened to the albums, went to concerts and loved them.
    S
    Yeah it is totally understandable on your part. Don't worry, I'm not bashing you at all, just pointing out what is kinda obvious. Yeah times are different today. There is just so much information available today. Actually, suppose the 1975 breakup happened in today's generation. It would have made ridiculous headlines, with every fan across the horizon angrily reacting, and their discussions turning into a cesspool of incriminations. It would've been cancerous.

    And banjo with Felder? Midnight Flyer it is!

    And about cliché songs, thanks for understanding. The thing is, based on bootlegs I have from the 70's, all of them have the same old setlist. However researching, there are ones with very rare songs. The HC tour in 1977 was full of them. They were arguably at their most spontaneous with the setlist at that time. Almost every setlist had at least one weird song ordering. Which is why it's my favorite year. I basically love some cliché songs being swapped out for rarities. Alpine Valley and Knoxville are great examples. No TITTL, but many rarities instead.

    And about the last paragraph, it is totally fine. Many fans (and I mean many) are not that pedantic about the details. And I learnt a lot through bootlegs. That's really how I accumulated the knowledge. But about beating you in trivia? I highly doubt that.
    The chemistry... nuff said

  8. #48
    Border Desperado cosec3791's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: HOTE Hotel California era Backstage Interviews

    Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Thanks!

    I didn’t know that NKIT was rarely performed during The Long Run tour. That’s puzzling, considering it was a Grammy-winning #1 hit.
    Yeah it is really weird. Mostly they became rigid and fixed with the setlist in TLR tour. But there were these times where they deviated. They also did Witchy Woman, James Dean and Funk #49 occasionally. Even Peaceful Easy Feeling. This setlist, based from a guy who supposedly has a bootleg of it, is brilliant. Just check it out. Very atypical:

    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagle...-7bc12664.html
    The chemistry... nuff said

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •