Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Eagles at Live Aid

Default No Eagles at Live Aid

I was watching my dvd of Live Aid over the weekend, and I was curious why the Eagles (or members of the Eagles, as this was 1985) didn't participate. From what I've read, they weren't even asked. I am sure not even the starving children in Africa could have gotten them to reunite in 1985, but why not have Henley or Glenn? Or Joe? In the summer of 1985, The Boys of Summer and All She Wants to Do is Dance would have been a good setlist for Henley for something like this...and if they had gotten Glenn, The Heat is On would have been a good crowd-pleaser. It seems like everyone of importance in music in the 80s was asked except them. Does anyone know anything about this? I haven't found a thing!

(And yes, I know Henley did Farm Aid )

Default Re: No Eagles at Live Aid

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I was watching my dvd of Live Aid over the weekend, and I was curious why the Eagles (or members of the Eagles, as this was 1985) didn't participate. From what I've read, they weren't even asked. I am sure not even the starving children in Africa could have gotten them to reunite in 1985, but why not have Henley or Glenn? Or Joe? In the summer of 1985, The Boys of Summer and All She Wants to Do is Dance would have been a good setlist for Henley for something like this...and if they had gotten Glenn, The Heat is On would have been a good crowd-pleaser. It seems like everyone of importance in music in the 80s was asked except them. Does anyone know anything about this? I haven't found a thing!

(And yes, I know Henley did Farm Aid )

From what I understand, a lot of it had to do with who you were managed by, and who you were friends with. If the people who were in charge like Bob Geldof knew you, and/or his management had a good relationship with your management, then you were likely to get an invite if you were a name. Also, there were lots of names actively lobbying to get an invite and approaching Geldof themselves; if Don Henley and/or Glenn were sitting back waiting for one because they'd each had a couple solo hits, it wasn't going to happen.

That's my take on it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Irving managed Don’s solo career, didn’t he? That’s kind of odd that he didn’t put his client forward. Everyone else did.

Henley is friends with Sting who is friends with Geldof. But maybe Live Aid was a little bit before Sting and Don became friends. Not to gossip, but they both dated Loree Rodkin (not at the same time).

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Irving managed Don’s solo career, didn’t he? That’s kind of odd that he didn’t put his client forward. Everyone else did.

Henley is friends with Sting who is friends with Geldof. But maybe Live Aid was a little bit before Sting and Don became friends. Not to gossip, but they both dated Loree Rodkin (not at the same time).
    I didn't know that!

Was it that Irving would have to put them forward or they had to be personally invited by Bob Geldof? It seemed like a huge omission to not have at least one former Eagle.

Stuck on the Border

A few years ago, the BBC got a group of the original organisers together in a radio studio where they talked about Live Aid. They gave the impression that it was a bit of a shambles, especially at the USA end and that everything came together at the last minute. I think concert promoter Bill Graham was key to the US section.

The other thing to consider is that it was primarily driven from the UK where Eagles were not that big and Don and Glenn were not stars.

The wikipedia page on Live Aid is fascinating for the details of those who were and were not invited. Lots of egos.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 07-11-2018 at 11:22 AM.

If somehow someone was able to get the Eagles together to perform at Live Aid, I’m not convinced they would have been a shoo-in for an invite. By 1985 they were neither cool nor current, and represented the faded glory of 70s hippie country rock.

As successful as Henley’s Building the Beast album was, I don’t know if he had quite enough name recognition to be a big draw, esp. as UTW pointed out, in the U.K. Glenn had some name recognition and a couple of hits in the U.S. but it’s not like he was a huge star. There were definitely bigger names at the time.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

I knew that Irving was Don's manager in the 80s into before the Eagles got back together. Wasn't Irving also Glenn's manager early in his solo career before he changed to Peter Lopez?

It is interesting that none of the members of the Eagles were invited to Live Aid, but Don, Joe and Randy played Farm Aid which also became big around that time and still going strong today. Don played twice.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border

Shun, from what I have read, Glenn fired Irving right after he quit the band. I think he was smart enough to know that Don would come first with Irving. I would not be surprised if he was tired of anything connected to the group at that point in time.

Delilah, I believe in 1982 the Eagles were offered a one time fee of 1 million dollars to re-unite and play at a festival. The following year(1983), they were offered 2 million dollars. Both times Don and Glenn refused the offer. Sorry, but I can't remember the name of the festival.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Shun, from what I have read, Glenn fired Irving right after he quit the band. I think he was smart enough to know that Don would come first with Irving. I would not be surprised if he was tired of anything connected to the group at that point in time.

Delilah, I believe in 1982 the Eagles were offered a one time fee of 1 million dollars to re-unite and play at a festival. The following year(1983), they were offered 2 million dollars. Both times Don and Glenn refused the offer. Sorry, but I can't remember the name of the festival.
    It was the Us festival. Joe did play there.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    If somehow someone was able to get the Eagles together to perform at Live Aid, I’m not convinced they would have been a shoo-in for an invite. By 1985 they were neither cool nor current, and represented the faded glory of 70s hippie country rock.

As successful as Henley’s Building the Beast album was, I don’t know if he had quite enough name recognition to be a big draw, esp. as UTW pointed out, in the U.K. Glenn had some name recognition and a couple of hits in the U.S. but it’s not like he was a huge star. There were definitely bigger names at the time.
    They had CSN&Y, though, the Eagles' predecessor in country rock...and there were plenty of acts who, at least now, have no name recognition. (Spandau Ballet anyone? Ultravox?)

I am sure, though, that no amount of money could have convinced them to perform together in 1985. The showing of American artists was quite pathetic, imo, compared to who appeared for the London concert.