Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Classic West L.A. - One Year Later

Default Classic West L.A. - One Year Later

The band played a show in Ontario last night, exactly one year after playing their first show with Deacon and Vince in Los Angeles. Yes, it’s been a year.

At the time, Don H said it may the last time they played there, apparently unsure about the audience response and demand as well as how well they would gel together as a group on stage. No one knew for sure if the Classic concerts would be their last performances and there was speculation there would be a full tour.

These questions have been answered, as fan and critical reception have been quite positive. Second shows at different venues have been added and one in Florida saw its biggest concert crowd in its 82-year history.

Obviously not everyone has met this new line-up as a positive development. But clearly the sky did not fall, no one has forgotten Glenn, and the Eagles as they are now (I have never accepted the premise others have put forward that Don, Joe and Timothy are no longer Eagles b/c Glenn is gone) have shown they can still entertain and make fans happy.

The support that has been shown for Deacon has been heart-warming and he has only been getting better as a performer. Those of us who already knew of Vince Gill’s talent aren’t surprised he’s been an asset and he has gained respect and admiration from new fans. No wonder Don H said Vince was the only one they considered inviting into the band.

Going forward there have been rumblings about new music, and Don has said Deacon wants to write. If the band wants to continue after this tour is over and stay fresh then new music is imperative. Of course they may decide to “take it easy” and slow things down next year. They aren’t getting any younger, though Deacon has a bright future ahead of him with this year as a great springboard.

So has anything changed for anyone here on this board? What has been surprising and not-so-surprising? Time has a way of both softening and sharpening viewpoints. It would be nice to hear from those who have been mostly silent on this issue.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Default Re: Classic West L.A. - One Year Later

No, nothing has changed.

No Glenn Frey. No Eagles.

(Not complicated)

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Nope, no change for me: No Glenn, no Eagles.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Hi Delilah, wow has it really been a year? I believe we have a couple of instances where Borderers have refined their original positions, but only one or two.

I understand and respect the "No Glenn No Eagles" contingent's position and that nothing will change it. I would like to ask this hypothetical question to that group - it is not meant to prove any point or serve as a strawman, it is a genuine question: If Don, Timothy and Joe performed together, along with members of the former-Eagles backing band, under a name other than "Eagles", would you be more upset if they didn't perform any Glenn songs, or if someone else sang his songs? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm genuinely curious. It seems that nobody begrudges the guys continuing to perform if they're not using the Eagles name - this something we all agree on. The question is how are they to handle Glenns' songs - ignore them? Or divvy them up between themselves or guests?

A year in to this, my firm belief was stated very succinctly by Dawn in the "No Glenn..." thread: "For me, I like to think all the money and fame in the world can not compare to the thrill of walking out on stage before thousands of fans many of whom will never forget the thrill of their first Eagles concert... I believe that THIS is the guys' motivation. Period. Not money, not legacy, not grieving for Glenn or feeling closer to him. The thrill of performing is all they know, it is ingrained in their blood for over 50 years, and they aren't quite ready to give it up yet. Again, I don't think anyone disagrees. Where we disagree is that I think Henley is within the bounds of propriety - legal, moral, emotional, music ethics - to use the name. Based on everything I have read, seen, heard, and learned about Glenn over the past six or seven years of my fandom, I think that Glenn would be delighted with the current tour.

We really shouldn't have to disagree here, imo. The thread for disagreement has been firmly established.

Having said that, I'm very happy for the ongoing success of our guys. They deserve it.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

I haven’t changed too much but I think I’ve definitely grown an appreciation of the group that opposes the lineup. When I went to the classic east, I was completely unaware of any opposition to them touring. I’ve been a bit more skeptical of the official story being put out but I don’t think that they are doing the tour just for money. I think at their age, money is nice but this tour alone won’t drastically change their net worths enough for them to enjoy it in their lifetimes. I think it’s about money for their family, love for preforming, or in Don’s case, it’s about getting some of the family involved. I know Will Henley Deacon have preformed, Don’s daughter has been along, and so has Glenn’s daughter. So it’s definitely a mix of both the money and some other personal reason. Maybe not for Gill, but for the rest of them I think they have their own unstated reasons.

I can also say from the time I saw them at the classic east till now, my regret over never seeing them with Glenn has also grown considerably. I really wish I had been a fan back for the HOTE tour. Seemed to be a really special time.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Hi Delilah, wow has it really been a year? I believe we have a couple of instances where Borderers have refined their original positions, but only one or two.

I understand and respect the "No Glenn No Eagles" contingent's position and that nothing will change it. I would like to ask this hypothetical question to that group - it is not meant to prove any point or serve as a strawman, it is a genuine question: If Don, Timothy and Joe performed together, along with members of the former-Eagles backing band, under a name other than "Eagles", would you be more upset if they didn't perform any Glenn songs, or if someone else sang his songs? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm genuinely curious. It seems that nobody begrudges the guys continuing to perform if they're not using the Eagles name - this something we all agree on. The question is how are they to handle Glenns' songs - ignore them? Or divvy them up between themselves or guests?

A year in to this, my firm belief was stated very succinctly by Dawn in the "No Glenn..." thread: "For me, I like to think all the money and fame in the world can not compare to the thrill of walking out on stage before thousands of fans many of whom will never forget the thrill of their first Eagles concert... I believe that THIS is the guys' motivation. Period. Not money, not legacy, not grieving for Glenn or feeling closer to him. The thrill of performing is all they know, it is ingrained in their blood for over 50 years, and they aren't quite ready to give it up yet. Again, I don't think anyone disagrees. Where we disagree is that I think Henley is within the bounds of propriety - legal, moral, emotional, music ethics - to use the name. Based on everything I have read, seen, heard, and learned about Glenn over the past six or seven years of my fandom, I think that Glenn would be delighted with the current tour.

Hi Mary how are things going ? Everyone knows how I feel and I haven't changed my mind. However, that being said, I would have no objection with the guys and all the back up musicians touring together. Don. Joe and Tim could all share lead on Glenn songs. However they would not tour under the name "Eagles". This is just MHO and two cents worth. I certainly would pay to see them in concert.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 07-16-2018 at 05:58 PM.

Not gonna debate nor answer questions about my opinion that nothing has changed. No Glenn No Eagles

Second, I can not and will not engage in pure speculation about what Glenn Frey would think. For me that is an utter and complete waste of time.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

With my memories popping up on FB of that weekend one year ago, I have been re-living my experience at The Classic West. It was a nice vacation for me and my family to visit some of the places in LA that the Eagles used to frequent. I have since seen the guys in Dallas last month and both shows were awesome!!

I was unable to see the Eagles prior to that trip for many different reasons and I do regret it. I would have liked to have seen them with Glenn, but I would have loved to have seen them when Randy was still there. But alas, neither happened. I did not want to pass up the opportunity once I had this chance.

I think that the original four went into to it together with the same dream and passion which was to get a couple of buddies together, make beautiful music, maybe tell a few stories, perform for their adoring fans and maybe make a few bucks along the way. I am not one that can say anyone should give up on their dream if the circumstances change, if you still hold that dream and you are able to go on then I believe you should for as long as you can. I am sure it is hard to give up something that has been in your blood for so long.