Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Classic West L.A. - One Year Later

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: Classic West L.A. - One Year Later

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Hi Mary how are things going ? Everyone knows how I feel and I haven't changed my mind. However, that being said, I would have no objection with the guys and all the back up musicians touring together. Don. Joe and Tim could all share lead on Glenn songs. However they would not tour under the name "Eagles". This is just MHO and two cents worth. I certainly pay to see them in concert.
    Hi New Kid, thank you for the thoughtful reply!

Stuck on the Border

It bothers me more than it did initially - when I was sort of ok with it, but it just wasn't for me.

My thoughts on it have not changed, if anything I feel more strongly about them than ever before. To me the longer it goes on the more disgusting it becomes.

Put me squarely in the No Glenn, No Eagles camp. Don Henley has lost all of my respect. I'm going to keep it brief in this thread, but that's the jist of it from me.

To answer MC's question: I'd prefer them to focus on their own songs at this point. No one on earth is fit to sing Glenn's songs other than himself.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I knew nothing has changed for some folks, that’s a given but since it’s been a year I thought others might have different perspective. I absolutely agree with the comments about the guys doing this mostly b/c they love to perform, and it’s part of their DNA now.

I wish I could have seen them with Glenn too, as well as with Bernie and Don F but I’m grateful I got to see them at all. I was too young to see them when Randy was in the band.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Posting from Ireland where I'm visiting GlennsAllnighter!

Nothing has changed for me either. No Glenn, no Eagles.

If anything, I feel more validated now that I hear their voices are starting to go. Far from approving, I think Glenn would want them to call it a day if they can't perform at a high level. He had shown in the past that he was able to leave money on the table if he thought it was the right thing to do.

To answer Mary's question, I've always said I'd have had no problem with them doing this under another name. They could experience all the joys of performing together in front of an audience, have all the emotional benefits, involve Deacon and Will, everything they get from this. They would just be making less money from people who only care about seeing a group named the "Eagles" in order to check off that box, and thus wouldn't bother to turn up if the same men called themselves something else.

I'd say in that case, leave Glenn's songs alone, maybe do one as a tribute. Otherwise it comes off like a cover band.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I also do feel that it does not feel right with Glenn. He was intrinsic to the way they were in so many ways, from formation till music style. Also, with the more country route they're going, Glenn could be actually disappointed with the song choices. He wanted to veer off the country route, but ironically, they're going in that route again, in spite of trying to shy away from it in the 70's! (JMHO)

But then again, I don't feel as emotional or anything, because Felder was always my favorite member musically. I don't really care much about the post 1999 Eagles (to me, Generation 3.0) and also, I was a fan after Glenn's unfortunate death. But he was and still is of huge significance, and they really sound like a tribute band without Glenn. Their voices are getting really hoarse.

And about Classic West, I actually was kinda fine with it! I just thought, a few concerts here and there, and not so bad. But to do a pretty large scale tour like this is just dishonorable.

Lastly, I am getting kinda turned off by Deacon.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    I also do feel that it does not feel right with Glenn. He was intrinsic to the way they were in so many ways, from formation till music style. Also, with the more country route they're going, Glenn could be actually disappointed with the song choices. He wanted to veer off the country route, but ironically, they're going in that route again, in spite of trying to shy away from it in the 70's! (JMHO)

But then again, I don't feel as emotional or anything, because Felder was always my favorite member musically. I don't really care much about the post 1999 Eagles (to me, Generation 3.0) and also, I was a fan after Glenn's unfortunate death. But he was and still is of huge significance, and they really sound like a tribute band without Glenn. Their voices are getting really hoarse.

And about Classic West, I actually was kinda fine with it! I just thought, a few concerts here and there, and not so bad. But to do a pretty large scale tour like this is just dishonorable.

Lastly, I am getting kinda turned off by Deacon.
    You make some good points especially the country direction they're going solidified with the hiring of Vince Gill. I also liked Felder a lot and believe his contribution to the sound and success of the band can not be understated. Same with Randy and Bernie.

I was lucky to see the original lineup several times and can assure you whatever the 'it" is that makes good bands become great bands they clearly had it from the get go.
    Last edited by Dawn; 07-18-2018 at 01:53 PM.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Posting from Ireland where I'm visiting GlennsAllnighter!
    So happy to hear this, what an awesome vacation!!!! Enjoy, you two! I spent 4 nights in Dublin and wished I could have been there another month or so...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

To the original question, like others have said, if I've changed my mind at all, it is that I'm even more convinced than ever that this band is wrong to continue under the name 'Eagles'. I have also made my thoughts known that I feel the way they pay tribute to Glenn in the current tour is horribly inadequate and disproportionate to his contributions, which disappoints me even more. So you can put me firmly in the #NOGLENNNOEAGLES camp.

As to MC's post, I have the following comments:

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    If Don, Timothy and Joe performed together, along with members of the former-Eagles backing band, under a name other than "Eagles", would you be more upset if they didn't perform any Glenn songs, or if someone else sang his songs? The question is how are they to handle Glenns' songs - ignore them? Or divvy them up between themselves or guests?
    I don’t feel as strongly about this one way or another, but I guess I would prefer if the band wanted to continue performing under another name that they not perform Glenn’s songs at all. As Soda said, it may be nice to perform one of his songs as a tribute, which is pretty much all they are currently doing now or they could dedicate another song to him. Either way, I would probably not be interested in seeing one of these shows either. However, I would certainly not be as critical of them. I understand that performing may be ‘ingrained in their blood’, so this would provide that opportunity for them, as well as, being equally as cathartic and healing for them. But, as Soda said, what it would not do is provide the same amount of cash. So, I can’t buy that money is not the motivator for them.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Based on everything I have read, seen, heard, and learned about Glenn over the past six or seven years of my fandom, I think that Glenn would be delighted with the current tour.
    MC - I would be interested in you sharing the basis for your opinion about this. I don’t want to rehash the same ole, same ole again, but I don’t recall anyone making an argument on this board about why they think Glenn would be ‘delighted’ with the current tour’. Of course, as we’ve said many times before, none of us know for sure how Glenn would feel, but on the contrary, his comments and actions over many years remained fairly consistent and lead me to believe that he would not have considered this lineup to be legitimate. I do believe he would be very proud of Deacon though.

So again, I do not intend to turn this into another debate thread particularly since these comments are off topic from the original post. But, it’s difficult for those of us that disagree to respond to your post. We either have to ignore it or state our alternate viewpoints.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

I saw them at Classic West and most recently in Nashville back in March. I'm glad that their shows have been successful. At least in March I had not noticed and problems with their voices and those still remaining in the Eagles sounded at least as good as they did in July of 2015 when I saw them in Little Rock with Glenn.